PDA

View Full Version : So, went to the local Euro shop today...

Kyle H
12-01-2006, 11:13 PM
I went up there because I had a stripped oil drain plug, and this is the aftermath...

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5177/plugfo3.jpg

I took it to a local shop (non-euro, APR Highperformance) last time to change my oil and they torqued it down VERY tight without a washer... I tried changing it at home, started stripping it, and decided I'd better take it in.

45 minutes later, they got the plug out with an air hammer. [hail]

So the bad news is, he informed me of all the stuff wrong with my car, which includes:
Control arms (knew this one)
Clutch
Shift Linkage
Power steering fluid was empty (he filled it)
cam gaskets, leaking oil all over the back of the engine
[headbang]

But I still <3 my A4. [:D]

sean1.8t
12-01-2006, 11:38 PM
ECS has some great drain plugs, washers, and magnetic drain plugs..

also, last time my power steering fluid was empty it turned out that my power steering rack went out. not that horrible but just an fyi

Kyle H
12-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah I bought the oil change kit from ECS, and Dave @ o2 Motorsports (the euro shop I went to) said he was really impressed with the quality of the stuff I brought in.

How much does the power steering rack normally run?

-Kyle

Ertman
12-02-2006, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Kyle H
Yeah I bought the oil change kit from ECS, and Dave @ o2 Motorsports (the euro shop I went to) said he was really impressed with the quality of the stuff I brought in.

How much does the power steering rack normally run?

-Kyle parts (rack pump and hoses) and labor ~$2300,

jrau13
12-02-2006, 08:42 AM
^damn!

Kyle H
12-02-2006, 09:11 AM
How much of the stuff on that list could I do at home safely? He was telling me the clutch I wouldn't want to do myself, adn the cam seals. When I was looking at how much the parts would be, it looks like the valve cover gasket and cam seals would be like $80 max in parts, he quoted be $450 for it installed, unless I'm looking at the wrong parts.

So, if I could do the seals myself, the control arms, adjust the shift linkage (a quick search on AW showed it'd be easy, haven't looked into it too much), and figure out what's going on with my power steering fluid, I think I'd be set for now. When I have some more cash, then I can upgrade the clutch like I was planning to anyways.

Kyle

Ertman
12-02-2006, 09:34 AM
I have done everything on your list myself in the driveway, except the ps rack. Just need the right tools and some experience working on cars.

Kyle H
12-02-2006, 09:42 AM
That's good to hear, I may just pick up a Bentley and get to know my car a bit better.

What kind of specialized tools would I need? Right now all I have are the standard wrenches, ratchets, etc.

Kyle

Ertman
12-02-2006, 09:50 AM
impact wrench, triple square sockets, transmission jack, torque wrench

GraysonF
12-02-2006, 10:13 AM
slightly off topic but what exactly is a magnetic drain plug?

Ertman
12-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by gfanellia4
slightly off topic but what exactly is a magnetic drain plug? The plug for the oil drain has a magnetic inside of it. It will attract metal fragments to it that you can wipe off when you change your oil.

Kyle H
12-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Ertman
impact wrench, triple square sockets, transmission jack, torque wrench

What would the transmission jack be for besides the clutch? The clutch is the only thing I'm unsure about doing right now.

klintman
12-02-2006, 07:10 PM
autozone and a few other places will rent the transmission jack. did the clutch on my eclipse many years back, do not remember how much it was. they will require a hefty deposit though.