PDA

View Full Version : Here's what insurance offered me

juju4uofa
11-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Well, first off I payed $11,500 for my '99.5 1.8TQMS a year and a half ago with 26.5K on it. Now, with it totalled and 55K on it, insurance is offering me $11,482. Which I think is a pretty fair deal :).

Now, on to me buying the car back. I had planned to buy it back and fix it myself assuming they'd want less than 3 grand. Well, they want $1,250!!!! I can't believe it. So anyway, I'll be buying it back and still get $10,232. Not a bad deal IMO.

I plan on spending about 6 grand on a vehicle for the mean time (possibly a miata) and use the 4 grand to fix it. With my research and my contact that should be plenty.

Tell me what you think and please give advice if there's something I'm not thinking of.

BTW, to get it back on the road in the State of Alabama, a certified rebuilder has to fix it, but I think I've got that covered.

bOOOOstedAudi
11-30-2006, 04:06 PM
do you have pics of the crashed ride. you seem just kinda happy with those numbers. to me they are beyond what i would think any insurance would produce. that is awsome

Neo1130
11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
They totalled your car out for $1200 worth of repair?

4ringAR
11-30-2006, 04:09 PM
no, i think he is buying it back for $1250, and getting some $10K to fix it.

sandnessmj
11-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Holy sh**! That's a good deal, man. I mean, it sucks to have a salvage title, but only if you're worried about reselling it. That should give you enough to do someting fun with it, right?

And by the way, that's not bad to have run the car for that long for $18, huh?[:D]

Neo1130
11-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 4Ring_Jelly
no, i think he is buying it back for $1250, and getting some $10K to fix it.

Ah, I didn't understand his wording of that sentence I guess... Sounded like he was saying that is how much repairs would be...

loustylez
11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
i hate to say it but...

i wish somebody would take my car out and get an insurance check for what i paid for it.

sandnessmj
11-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Here's his damage pics:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104841

Mattgfx
11-30-2006, 04:26 PM
id take the cash and buy an S4 for around 15g :)

sandnessmj
11-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Bigair
id take the cash and buy an S4 for around 15g :)

Seriously. I'd be parting the car out and buying another one.

bOOOOstedAudi
11-30-2006, 04:32 PM
oh shit yeah **** that i would deff just go for the s4

juju4uofa
11-30-2006, 04:49 PM
I still thinking fixing the car will be worth more than parting it out. Plus, finding a S4 in good condition with close to the same miles that I had for 15k isn't gonna happen. I graduate this summer, so there will be no reason I can't go BT in the fall.

nizmosx
11-30-2006, 05:00 PM
TO be honest. do youself a favor and just get rid of the car. BUy it back and part it out. It is not worth fixing it. Most likely you can sell a lot of the parts off of it, and a junk yard will buy the remaining parts from it. Dont bother to fix it. It will never be the same. Spend the money else where bro. or jump into an s4.

LateraLex
11-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Cool situation.. that's a lot more than I would think they would pony up. For 1200 thats a great deal

MultiAudis
11-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx
TO be honest. do youself a favor and just get rid of the car. BUy it back and part it out. It is not worth fixing it. Most likely you can sell a lot of the parts off of it, and a junk yard will buy the remaining parts from it. Dont bother to fix it. It will never be the same. Spend the money else where bro. or jump into an s4.

S4 in_lowplaces
11-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Buy it back but sell everything in it. You will get more for everything you sell in it then what they are selling it to you for.

Now me being an S4 owner i would put the money into a nice 2001.5 and up S4. You'll have some monthly payments but im sure you can find a stock one with good miles for about 16-18k

your getting $11,482 for it minus the buy back $1250 = $10,232

Lets say you put $10k down on an S4 worth 18k. Thats leaves you with $8,000

If you get a 7% intrest rate for 5 years (assuming you get a 5 year loan)

Thats $158.41 you will be payying a month. If you pay more than your supposed to it goes toward your principal which means you can pay it off quicker. Just get a loan for 10k and take the extra 2 grand and do a chip and downpipes to the S4. Good luck

Seriously get an S4

-Andrew-

juju4uofa
11-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Unfortunately that's $158.41 more than I make a month. No job=No income and a job is not an option with senior level classes and over involvement in other stuff.

I agree to some extent about it never being the same; however, it's only cosmetic damage (aside from the broken tie rod in the rear). A new hood, bumper, fender and door and voila. Parting the car out will take time and isn't a gaurantee. I still think fixing it is the best bet. I'm certain I can fix it for less than 4 grand which will leave me with 6 grand and my car back. Plus, I wasn't finished modding by any means lol. Seriously though, I'm still thinking about the situation. I'll keep everyone updated on how things turn out.

Lazer Viking
11-30-2006, 06:07 PM
yea...i wouldnt want to deal with a salvage title, or a totaled car (they are cursed, like for real) my friend bought a salvage title car and has wrecked it probably ten times.. including three times someone ran into him in a parking lot.. its an asshole magnet, buy it back part it out... and get another a4, or an s4 if you can swing the higher insurance

sean1.8t
11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
WOW man!! that is like ten times better than i thought you would come out of it.. well not ten, but definately better. in your situation you could do some pretty sick stuff to that car. 10 grand to play with on that thing! you could fix it up using better than stock parts and put a sick ass BT/built motor in it for less than 10 grand.(thats just what i would do anyways). but good luck to you with it all.. you've just made me hope to get hit like you did. just not any worse. and i don't know if you already answered this already but who is your insurance company??

Welch1082
11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Buy it back and part it out , buy another a4 since you already know about it and swap what ever parts you want on the new one if there swapable(if thats even a word)

SFexBOY
11-30-2006, 06:37 PM
here's what I would do since an S4 is out of reach for you.

Buy it back, fix it for $4K like you said......and keep the $6K for a future car or save it.....since you don't have a job. I don't think modding should be an option at this point if money is problem for you....but maybe that's the practical side of me talking.

hey4
11-30-2006, 06:42 PM
I think that you have the right idea. I'd say use the money to make it better and stronger. CF hood, fenders, maybe aftermarket bumper. You get the idea. You can always sell those parts in case you decide to part it out in the future as a side benefit. I wonder what they would offer me with 142k, lol.

juju4uofa
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I have ALFA, but the girl had State Farm. I've been very pleased with ALFA in the past and am pleased with State Farm as well, after this ordeal.

If I were to buy a high mileage A4 and swap engine and tranny and proabably controla arms. Can I swap that stuff from my NDBW car to an '00 or '01?

Poopie
11-30-2006, 06:57 PM
besides motor and stuff yes. Why not just buy another a4 in similar condition instead of swapping stuff?

hey4
11-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
I have ALFA, but the girl had State Farm. I've been very pleased with ALFA in the past and am pleased with State Farm as well, after this ordeal.
If I were to buy a high mileage A4 and swap engine and tranny and proabably controla arms. Can I swap that stuff from my NDBW car to an '00 or '01?
you can swap everything, it's the same chasis. I don't know if I would recommend that unless you have the time, space, tools, and DIY skills to do it.

juju4uofa
11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Well, I feel like I've had enough experience, but my dad's been a mechanic for most of his life so I'm sure we could get it. I'll still probably just fix this one though.

sandnessmj
11-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Get this:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106795

Seems like a pretty decent deal, and he's in Alabama, so...

juju4uofa
11-30-2006, 07:23 PM
To many miles for me. I don't really want anything over 60k, although I'm sure it's a great car.

smoothie
11-30-2006, 07:24 PM
i would honestly just buy the thing back fix it and keep driving it. maybe get a few little mods done to it that you might have been putting off for a while(i run into a lot of those) considering your situation with your income and just getting out of school i probobly wouldn't be too worried about building a car. i'd be looking into getting a solid job and saving for a house. once you get all settled in and don't have to warry if your gona have a job in a week or a place to live a week after that. then you can start having fun. thats just my opinion... it's already an awsome car, dumping a few grand into it so you can beat the guy at the stop lights isn't worth it when you don't EXACTLY have that kind of money.

the damage isn't even that bad, i don't see how it managed to get totaled?? hood bumper head light looks like your grill is even in alright shape. maybe some little stuff under your bumper that needs replacing and a tie rod, man that aint a thing for 1,200 bucks.

sean1.8t
11-30-2006, 07:42 PM
you guys are all boring, you sound like my parents [:p]... we should all throw a bunch of different kinds of options at him.. because in the end he is going to do what he wants to do.. just my thinking anyways

Poopie
11-30-2006, 07:53 PM
You're car looked like it had quite a bit of damage. Honestly, the car will never be the same. You are better off buying a similar car. After I got my car back, I've had a few little issues that bug me. My car ended up costing over 6 grand to fix and my damage was not as severe as yours. Once you start removing parts, you find out that true extent of the damage.

LateraLex
11-30-2006, 08:15 PM
That S4 is a great deal...

Would be cool to rebuild you A4, esp. if you do the work youself.

S4 in_lowplaces
11-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
Unfortunately that's $158.41 more than I make a month. No job=No income and a job is not an option with senior level classes and over involvement in other stuff.

I agree to some extent about it never being the same; however, it's only cosmetic damage (aside from the broken tie rod in the rear). A new hood, bumper, fender and door and voila. Parting the car out will take time and isn't a gaurantee. I still think fixing it is the best bet. I'm certain I can fix it for less than 4 grand which will leave me with 6 grand and my car back. Plus, I wasn't finished modding by any means lol. Seriously though, I'm still thinking about the situation. I'll keep everyone updated on how things turn out.

Come on man, i know you can find somthing to do that will pay you at least 200 buck a month. Stop hanging out with friends so much and at least work two days a week for 5 hours...I know you miss your car .... Yes buy it back and dont sell the parts just let it sit there. Dont put any money into it just yet. Get an S4, start making the payments and then start saving then you can still have your car, but it will still have salvage title. I saw the pics they posted and i gaurantee you that there is going to be more things wrong with your car than you think, which will equal more money you have to spend. just get the S4, and get a part time job that will at least give you 200 bucks a month. I know that cant be to hard. I PROMISE YOU WONT REGRET HAVING AN S4, unless your parents dont mind paying a little more for insurance because it will go up, especally if it is a 6 Speed S4.

S4 in_lowplaces
11-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by sandnessmj
Get this:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106795

Seems like a pretty decent deal, and he's in Alabama, so...

Not a good deal!!!! Its a STOCK 2000 S4. the only S4's you should be loking at are the ones with the new S4 badge(20001.5 - 2002). The one your looking at up there has the $$hitty TTB and the F hose which is the the S4 that the turbos go out on so DO NOT BUY IT especally with that many miles on it

juju4uofa
11-30-2006, 09:25 PM
That's another thing, I pay my own insurance. I'll have just enough money left over from my student loan to pay insurance on my A4 in January. There's no way I can afford insurance going up $600 a year (if not more) and a $200 a month note. I'm taking 5 of my last 8 classes, I'm captain of our Formula Team, and too much other stuff. Plus, I'm gonna have several thousand left over from fixing this car guaranteed. I'll just have to save the S4 for later.

SirDaft1
11-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Buy it back and part it out. Hell... I'll buy it for $1,200 and let it sit around for when I need parts!

I worked at a bodyshop for a while when I was in college and I can vouch.... unless you have a professional bodyshop check out the frame, you won't have the slightest clue as to the extent of the damage. Consider this a blessing bro. I don't wanna sound like a parent, but i'd buy the car back, part it out or swap parts to a new B5.

killroy77
12-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Buy it and part it out. Use that money to go with the 10K, and you'll end up with at least 15k. Nearly enought to buy the S4.

Don't fix it up!!!. Reason - If you fix it up it will ALWAYS have a 'Salvage' on the title. If you try to sell it you would have to find someone that has the cash in hand because they would not be able to finance a Salvaged car because financing requires FULL coverage insurance. Insurance companies will NOT sell you full coverage on a Salvaged title. This will make it very hard to sell and at best you'll get 7k for it. You can part it and get easily get 6-7k.

You can easily make more money parting it then fixing it and selling it.

offroader1006
12-01-2006, 01:19 PM
dont try and fix it.

just part it out. if you dont make 200 a month, you wont have enough to cover if you find more damage down the road, or parts start going out because they were slightly damaged in the impact.

its a big gamble, and financially, your best bet is to part it and buy a clean titled A4.

MultiAudis
12-01-2006, 05:36 PM
^^^the truth

juju4uofa
12-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Guys, this is what your not considering. Parting it out will take a long time. It will not be a reliable source of income. Plus I'm certain I can fix this car for less than 4 grand, which means I'll have 6 grand left. If I don't like the result I can sell the car (that I've got 5 grand in) and still come out ahead. I simply cannot wait for parts to be sold.

Poopie
12-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Consider how long its gonna take to fix your car. My car was in the shop for a month. i'm pretty sure you can unload a grand of parts in a week.

With the unibody design of these cars, I can tell you for sure that your frame is bent. The insurance didn't total your car for no reason. Your airbags didn't go off right? If you can walk away with money in your pockets and you are prepared for the long haul go for it.

AB18
12-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Seriosly dude, listen to these guys, your getting in over your head. If you have enough cash to go bt in the fall, then you have enough cash to swing a S4 for a few months, you will thank yourself later. Plus, 2.7ts are beast. No other way to describe it, its a whole dif feel then a bt 1.8t, i had one.

SirDaft1
12-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Why do you need to part it out ASAP? You have an extra 10g's from the insurance. Go pick up an '01.5 (cause they're the best. duh. go ahead and flame me guys.)... pay cash for it. And part out the ride over the next few weeks/ months. Its not that hard of circumstance to figure out. BUT... if you REALLY feel that the car is remotely salvagable... LET A CERTIFIED BODYSHOP LOOK AT IT. We can only see so much in these pics.

I did get in a wreck in my old '98 Impreza RS, very similar damage to what you have. It took 2 months for my bodyshop to fix the car, BECAUSE as they got further and further into working on it, they realized the extent of the damage. They said that if they knew the amt of damage prior to working on it, it would have been a total loss.

And I know its not fun to talk about, but in all honesty... buy a new B5, and save the rest of your $$$. Invest it and make it grow... so that down the road you wont be in a bind to purchase that BT.

TQMB5
12-01-2006, 08:09 PM
buy it back, part it out and buy something better.... dont waste money on fixing your salvage title a4.. get an s4 or something

juju4uofa
12-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I've looked at the car again. The frame is not bent. The total list of replacement is this:

Hood
Front DS Fender
Rear DS door
DS headlight
Power steering resevoir
Rear PS Tie Rod

I've found the hood, fender and door all in silver for less than $1000. I can get non-Xenon E-codes from LLtek for $350. And for $50 or less I can get the resevoir. Also, I need very minor rear DS quarter panel repair. A friend of a friend has a certified shop that'll fix it for cheap. I can buy all the body panels and simply have them install them so the State of Alabama will approve my car. Anyway, I'm looking at $2,500 or less. What am I not getting?

sean1.8t
12-01-2006, 09:22 PM
you'll probably run into a few things you're forgetting down the road but you seem to have a good list there. you won't know until you drive it again.. but power to you dude, i hope it all works out for you. don't listen to all these guys cause they cant "see" the car and they weren't the ones in the accident..

[wrench] [headbang] [wrench] [=(] [wrench] [drive] [:D] [a4]

b00st
12-01-2006, 09:27 PM
i would look into that salvage title a little more. you really don't know how much damage there is till you start pulling the body panels off. plus you need a certified person. i dunno, tuff call...i'd prolly just buy a new car and leave that be. you could end up in the hole.

Poopie
12-01-2006, 09:29 PM
various fasteners, clips, radiator support. I saw the pics again, and you were about 2 inches from a bent frame. You're right, it doesn't look like your frame is bent significantly. If you are saying you can repair it for 2500, I would double it for a realistic number. The body shop that did mine said they estimated originally 3.5 grand to fix my car. The bill for the insurance company came to 6300. They should have totaled my car. I don't have a salvaged titled though so thats a good thing. That rear section looks like trouble.

fred2ka4
12-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Well, you have heard enough people say to sell it and part it out. I say keep it. So what if the car has a salvaged title. It will only matter if you are trying to sell it, and by the sounds of it, you plan on having the car for a while after it is fixed. As long as there is no frame or engine damage you should be ok, and for the record this is what my car looked like before.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/get-3attachment.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/get-1attachment.jpg

And then after:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/Picture158.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/Picture034.jpg

It will take a little bit of work and the most important thing is to find a shop that you can trust. All you car needs is a little tlc, and it will shine like a brand new penny, and you'll have a few pennies left in your pocket. After you finish your classes, get your degreee, and start making some big bucks you can treat yourself to any car you want .... [;)] [:D]

sean1.8t
12-01-2006, 11:42 PM
^damn fred! i knew your car was wrecked before but i never knew it was so bad..

that is definately one hell of a transformation [up] [up]

b00st
12-02-2006, 12:19 AM
salvage title vehicles are uninsurable....ask me i know its what i do for a living.

fred2ka4
12-02-2006, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by b00st
salvage title vehicles are uninsurable....ask me i know its what i do for a living.

What company do you work for because Mine is fully insured. It depends on the insurance company.

Different companies have different policies

juju4uofa
12-02-2006, 07:54 AM
bOOst, you must live in a different state. My roomates '03 Civic Si has a salvaged title and he is fully insured.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and I assue you I'm listening to everyone. My exact plans however are to get possesion of the car Monday, take my free time next week to tear it down and further access the damage. If I find more than I though (ex. bent frame) then of course I'll part it out, If I don't then it's getting fixed. Like I stated earlier the body shop I know of is willing to simply install the parts and since I've found silver ones there will be no paint. The only work at all will be the small part of the rear quarter panel and from my expereince that can either have a grafted piece of metal or be bent out and bonded smooth, spot painted and blended in. It won't be "like new" but that spot will still be unnoticeable. Anyway, I'll get everyone updated on the status.

AB18
12-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Just to throw it out there, you dont need a 2001.5 or 02 s4. I have a 2001 with 123k on it with more track time then most AND it still has the orignal turbos.

b00st
12-02-2006, 09:48 AM
salvage titles get different VIN # once they go salvage. to get the VIN back the car must be restored by the proper peeps.

i work for 1 of the top 2 p&c insurance companies in the US. its true our underwriting guidelines differ from company to company...but i'd say the top 8 are pretty much the same. good for you if your cars insured. its just a general rule of thumb.

Poopie
12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
For the ammount of work to get the door fixed you should just get a new door skin. and painted. It will end up costing the same amount. That quarter panel will need to be pounded out.

slmmda4
12-02-2006, 11:35 AM
im gonna have to go ahead and agree with alot of the people, buy it back and part it out. I understand your in college and it would be hard to make payments and such, im in the same boat. Id say put about 9 grand down on an s4 then use the other grand and money from your parts on payments....that should last you until you graduate i think. yea if you keep the car with a salvage thats alright, but i dont know if thats realistic once you get into the 90-100k range. you will be kicking yourself when you try and sell it then with a salvage title when you could have gotton alot more money in the past. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, its a pretty big delimma.

fred2ka4
12-02-2006, 11:45 AM
A slavaged title is not a death sentence. If you fix the car, you can still part it out later, and sell the salvaged car as a stocker. It just sells for less money, and will take a little more salesmanship. I have people asking me if I want to sell my car all the time, and I tell them that the car has a salvaged title and they say they can't believe it and ask me if I still want to sell it. My car runs and works great, and I like it, and in the end that's all that matters .... what YOU like.

slmmda4
12-02-2006, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fred2ka4
[B]A slavaged title is not a death sentence.

not saying its a death sentence at all. im saying you will get more money now, than in the future (which is obvious for every car) but especially with a salvage title. if you can get another car without a salvage or keep one with a salvage....not a hard decision for me.

juju4uofa
12-02-2006, 02:04 PM
This may be a dumb thing to say, but if I would had the option of keep my A4 (only worth around 10k) with a good title or having a salvage title put on it and pocketing 6K. There would be no decision. By the time I'm ready to sell the car, getting a couple thousand less won't be nearly as important as pocketing a couple thousand now. Anyway, enough about that.

I've got to get a new car in the meantime tell me what you think about these two.

'98 A6 2.8 Quattro Auto 56k miles - $8K

'03 Cadillac CTS V6 Auto 87k miles - $8K

The carfax on the CTS is perfect, I think he listed the price wrong. Otherwise I'll be pimping it soon.

fred2ka4
12-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Either of those choises only leaves you a little over 2k to fix your current Audi. Will that be enough? If you are planning to keep and fix the Audi, I would only spend a couple grand on a used civic or sentra to get around in until the Audi is fixed, otherwise your Audi will just sit and you don't want that.

juju4uofa
12-02-2006, 06:36 PM
I agree. My parents want me to have something they consider reliable lol. So, if I need more money to fix the A4, I'll either borrow it from them or the bank. Then when I sell that car I can pay them or the bank back. The most I'll be spending is 8K, I'd love to get by with less but we'll see.

AB18
12-02-2006, 08:25 PM
See, i don't mean to come arcoss mean in any way,but what your thinking is retarded. Look at it this way,your rents want you to have a reliable car, why not a stock one? I got my 2001 6sp sport s4 for 13.2k, with 99k on it. Now granted thats alot of miles, but if there stock, its not really anything to worry about if there properly maintained. Just my 02., take it from me, i have a totalled A4 in my garage, take the cash now and run.

Btw-The only way to know the real damage of the car is to take it apart, trust me. Mine didnt look "to" bad from the outside, yeah, it was worthless when i took it apart.

juju4uofa
12-02-2006, 08:52 PM
The car will be inspected completely. I'm done saying it but if it's fixable for cheap it'll be fixed, if not then it won't. As far as the car being reliable, body panels aren't going to affect that. The car runs, no issues. The only reason it's not driveable is the rear tire which isn't major. I'll know by the end of this week how much it'll take to repair it. If it's not much great, if so, I'll move on.

sean1.8t
12-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by AB18
I got my 2001 6sp sport s4 for 13.2k, with 99k on it. Now granted thats alot of miles, but if there stock, its not really anything to worry about if there properly maintained. Just my 02.,

umm ok. first of all. that is about the max for ko3's on an S4. good luck changing those out with a college budget.. second of all you are not listening to him. he sais that AN S4 IS NOT AN OPTION. more money to fix, worse gas mileage, and high insurance are just a few reasons why an A4 is better than an S4

b00st
12-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by fred2ka4
A slavaged title is not a death sentence. If you fix the car, you can still part it out later, and sell the salvaged car as a stocker. It just sells for less money, and will take a little more salesmanship. I have people asking me if I want to sell my car all the time, and I tell them that the car has a salvaged title and they say they can't believe it and ask me if I still want to sell it. My car runs and works great, and I like it, and in the end that's all that matters .... what YOU like.

i don't disagree with you. here it is plain and simple....with a salvage title....when it comes time for a claim. it can be denied or you can run into problems. if you get into an accident...they will question whether or not any other damage other than the surface could have been salvage related. follow? its simple. sure you can prove it...or they can disprove it....all i'm saying it is a pain. and you can get great headaches when going into it. in the end....everyone does what they want. i know your car runs great and looks great never questioned that. i just know what happens if the titled isn't restored. headaches happen. its not a death sentence but it can be a PITA.

fred2ka4
12-03-2006, 07:26 AM
i don't disagree with you. here it is plain and simple....with a salvage title....when it comes time for a claim. it can be denied or you can run into problems. if you get into an accident...they will question whether or not any other damage other than the surface could have been salvage related. follow? its simple. sure you can prove it...or they can disprove it....all i'm saying it is a pain. and you can get great headaches when going into it. in the end....everyone does what they want. i know your car runs great and looks great never questioned that. i just know what happens if the titled isn't restored. headaches happen. its not a death sentence but it can be a PITA.

If a car has been fully repaired from a salvaged accident, how can you restore the status of a clean title to your car? What steps are invoved, and who do you have to go to? This is something I would be interested in, and I don't mean to thread jack but I think this information will help juju4uofa also, if he decides to go with repairing the Audi.

juju4uofa
12-03-2006, 09:57 AM
I talked with my family physcian back home. The man has like 3 degrees aside from his Doctorate of medicine and one of the many things he does his buy and restore totalled cars. I called him last night and asked how he aquires a rebuilt title in Alabama. I was surprised to here that once he finishes the car he takes it to his Brother's house in Texas (I assume trailers it), then he titles it there under his name and brother's address (although he shows them his Alabama Driver's License) and after that he just has the title transfered to Alabama. He's done it many times he said with never a hassle. So, definetely not to stay that's what I'm doing but it seems like there may be ways around it. I'm going to the DMV tomorrow (or either calling the main office in Montgomery) and finding out the exact process.

slmmda4
12-03-2006, 02:37 PM

x2....and driving it to texas and back and all that shit sounds like a pita man just to get the title

AB18
12-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Sean1.8t, im just trying to help him out, and going the s4 route wouldnt be a bad option when insurance is paying him 11.5k down, and could be ALOT cheaper in the long run. As far as the turbos, i have 124k on it now, with track time, and some hard driving, there holding up fine. Also, hes said hes going bt in the fall,my S3 A4 didnt get near the gas mi my S4 does, i get about 28.5mpg, thats not bad, just something to think about.

Also, i know about totalled A4s and how much money can go into to fixing one, like i said, i have one in my garage.

b00st
12-03-2006, 05:28 PM
guys i'll look into it for you and get back to you tomorrow when i'm at work. i don't have the info here. i'll see what the DVM and underwriting say....and get back to you.

juju4uofa
12-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Man I'd appreciate that.

As far as the BT in the fall, that's just wishful thinking. If I get a job, I'll be getting a newer car (most likely S4). However, there's a good chance I'll be going to grad school.

b00st
12-05-2006, 01:40 PM
sorry for not responding yesterday...here is your answer. fees and such will obviously be different in each state, and some of the ways you go about things may be slightly different. but you will get the jist of it. you can look at your state DMV website and get the exact info. here's how it breaks down in IL...which will give you the idea of what you need to do.

RECOVERING A SALVAGE TITLE....since these vehicles are officially not street legal. like importing a skyline and such.

"When a vehicle is to be salvaged or when and insurance companies declares a vehicle eight model years old or newer to be a total loss, an application for a Salvage Certificate must be made (in your case by the insurance co.) The Original Title of Certificate gets returned to the Secretary of State. Salvage Certs cost $4 each and are issued only to licensed rebuilders (as i mentioned in previous posts), scrap processors, used parts dealers or insurance companies.

A salvaged vehicle can ONLY be rebuilt by a licensed rebuilder. When a salvage vehicle is eight model years old or newer, the vehicle must first be inspected at a Department of Transportation and Saftey Inspection Station for a $10-$15 fee. It must then be inspected at a Secretary of State Police Vehicle Inspection Station for a $94 fee in IL.

so basically as i said. salvaged vehicles really can't be insured. cuz you don't own the title/lien to it. and nobody can insure a vehicle in which they don't own a title/lien too. so like i said....once a vehicle goes salvage...it gets a new VIN....your VIN is no longer valid and they deem salvage vehicles to be unsafe on public rodes. hence the licensed rebuilders and inspection station. just because your agent got you insurance doesn't mean much...either a) he doesn't know much b) fudge the paper work...either way doesn't help the customer cuz when you want to put in a claim....its attached to your VIN....in your cases or VIN is salvaged. maybe some companies offer insurance on salvaged vehicles and maybe some just fudge a VIN....in the end is when it counts. hope this helps.