PDA

View Full Version : What did you notice after installing springs and/or shocks/kits?

g2turbo
11-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Just wondering what people have noticed from first hand experience after "upgrading" the suspension.

Those with the B6/B7 S4's are of particular interest, as I have one.

If I still have the car next spring it'll get a kit (springs/shocks), as the stock setup just seems to have too much bump compression harshness. Seems to be consistant with both late model audi's i've owned.

Open to any input.

jeremy@matrix
11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by g2turbo
Just wondering what people have noticed from first hand experience after "upgrading" the suspension.

Those with the B6/B7 S4's are of particular interest, as I have one.

If I still have the car next spring it'll get a kit (springs/shocks), as the stock setup just seems to have too much bump compression harshness. Seems to be consistant with both late model audi's i've owned.

Open to any input.

Hey G,

Gosh, where to start....
Are you looking for feedback in regards to a specific area or concern?

I could talk and talk about how the STaSIS MotorSport/Ohlins coilovers COMPLETELY transformed the ride and handling of our old B6 S4. Yes, their TrackSport coilovers are a night and day upgrade over stock, but the MotorSport/Ohlins are another night and day upgrade over the TS c/o's.

Regarding dampers/springs, most of our clients are opting for coilovers now since the extra cost for the height adjustability flexibility (and perhaps tuning of the unit if available on the unit) is pretty small.

Best,
Jeremy

g2turbo
12-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi Jeremy,

I'm interested in reducing the compression harshness especially. Firmer low (piston) speed damping would also be nice especially to help with high speed body control; to help with off axis (RF to LR angle) "bobble". It's a tall order but am hopeful it could be remedied.

What spring rates and type, are you using on the S4?

Do any of these kits have driver controllable settings (ie motorized), similar to what some high end luxury cars have?

I'll check out the website and see what I can find on the B6S4.

Cheers,
Gary

jeremy@matrix
12-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by g2turbo
Hi Jeremy,

I'm interested in reducing the compression harshness especially. Firmer low (piston) speed damping would also be nice especially to help with high speed body control; to help with off axis (RF to LR angle) "bobble". It's a tall order but am hopeful it could be remedied.

What spring rates and type, are you using on the S4?

Do any of these kits have driver controllable settings (ie motorized), similar to what some high end luxury cars have?

I'll check out the website and see what I can find on the B6S4.

Cheers,
Gary

Hey Gary,

It's certainly attainable. The coilover kits that will allow you this flexibility will be the top of the line units; Ohlins, Moton, JRZ, etc. As I mentioned we've had fantastic success with the STaSIS MotorSport/Ohlins.

We ran 800f/1200r (springs are linear Hyperco, sometimes Eibach ERS is Hyperco is backordered) on our B6 S4 and understeer was drastically tamed (hey, the car pivots now!). Clients who rode in it (who didn't know what susp it had) either commented on how comfortable the ride was or didn't comment at all as they thought it had stock susp!!

None of the high-end rebound/compression adjustable coilovers w/ external reservoirs will be cockpit adjustable unfortunately.

Here are the details;

STaSIS MotorSport coilover kit for B6/B7 S4, B7 RS4; 4 STaSIS valved OHLINS dampers w/ external front reservoirs, double digressive damping, external damping adjustability (comfort & performance), adjustable while installed on vehicle, lightweight aluminum threaded damper bodies, height adjustable, 4 linear rate Hyperco springs, 450 lb. to 1000 lb. spring rates, balanced and adjusted on SPA damper dynamometer
(high speed compression adjustment on reservoir, low speed compression and rebound adjustment on the damper shaft)

$3895 retail
We have one brand new set for $3594 shipped.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/Category_Detail.aspx?id=4&YR=2004&MK=Audi&EN=52&PID=90

LMK!