PDA

View Full Version : 18's on stock suspension

quadaxel
11-25-2006, 11:29 PM
just wondering if anyone has 18's on with thier stock suspension. after i get my rims, i wont have enough $$ to get new suspension. serached but everyone on here has aftermarket suspension. im in no hurry for suspension because sf bay area = really hilly and crappy poorly paved freeways. thanks [:)]

tombomb84
11-26-2006, 12:13 AM
i have 18's on a stock suspension and it looks like ass. Then again i have a 1.8 and you have a 2.8 so urs would probably sit lower than mine due to the extra weight. I cant wait to drop my car, ive got the lowering springs now im waiting on the shocks.

bellofello
11-26-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm not exited to get new rims (well I am lol) because I'm non-sport. I dunno though. Because the overall tire diameter will be the same with 18's and my stock set up.

sean1.8t
11-26-2006, 01:08 AM
rims should definately not be one of the first mods imo..

suspension, performance, then rims... then more performance [:D]

bOOOOstedAudi
11-26-2006, 01:13 AM
suspension first. sean is right

CSHO1.8t
11-26-2006, 01:34 AM
i started with sport suspension when i got new wheels... a few months later i got new suspension and it made a WORLD of a difference. either way, you'll want to do both eventually (i hope).

I have H&R race springs, and they are perfect for a b5 (in my opinion). Not too high, and not too low. in the end they only ran me about $250. Thats a steal for reliable and renound suspesion (Also in my opinion). And with 18's, a race suspesion would fill out your car very nicely. Contrary to sean1.8t, i feel that i would like to walk into the garage every morning feeling happy with the way my car looks even if its not performing equally at the moment (because performance is soon to come for the dedicated!)

Any way you look at it, options are endless for things like this. HAVE FUN!

AudiSnawb
11-26-2006, 07:42 AM
def get suspension first... it looks horrible, i wish i didnt make this mistake 3 years ago- but here is my car on 17s without suspension.... dont forget this was almost 3 years ago lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/audisnawb/AudiLake008.jpg

bellofello
11-26-2006, 08:43 AM
does anyone know how much bushings would be on bilstein shocks? I have a set that the bushings were torched to take them off the previous car. I just need the bushings and a set of springs and I'm ready to go.

94jedi
11-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by bOOOOstedAudi

Ok, is there something going on between you two??? Or do you always post in tandem lol! I saw your posts in the S4 forum! [:D]

BTW- I've got some sport springs for sale if anyone wants them. $50 shipped. They'll be almost as low as the H&R race springs

sean1.8t
11-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by 94jedi
Ok, is there something going on between you two??? Or do you always post in tandem lol! I saw your posts in the S4 forum! [:D]

ya, boooosted was stalking me last night always trying to one up me

Euro
11-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by bOOOOstedAudi

OH so true.
I wish we could pass a Law stating that you have to lower a car before getting any type of new wheels.

A lowered car with stock wheels will look better than a car with stock suspension and bigger wheels.
Just my 2 cents. [rolleyes]

SoFresh
11-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Putting rims on first without suspension makes your car look like a monster truck.... unless thats the look youre going for, I wouldnt suggest it.

quadaxel
11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
dang thanks for all the input guys. high_octaneRS-4: lol the monster truck is def not the look im going for. my car already looks like a monster truck. and sean1.8t: im not really into the performance factor. im at 998xx miles right now so i just want it to look aesthetically pleasing. lol. ok i guess suspension first then rims. now for a total n00b question. can i lower it with lowering springs and shocks on the stock suspension or do i need to get a whole new setup?

allshowA4
11-26-2006, 08:06 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k297/a4mazing/sig.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k297/a4mazing/03.jpg

SoFresh
11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
You can go cheap... not recommended, but you can always just heat up the stock springs and then that will lower your car.... runs into issues later down the road ive heard but its cheap if you dont care about performance

sean1.8t
11-26-2006, 08:37 PM
^don't do that. you might as well have a civic hatchback and cut your springs..

all you need is a good set of springs and shocks, or coilovers depending on you budget.. seach the archives and you will learn a lot and find what you want for your price range and needs.. the most popular combo is H&R race springs with bilstein shocks. lots of people have them and i haven't heard of anyone complaining about them. they are definately the cheapest way to go with keeping quality of product in mind.. but just search and you'll find what you want

SoFresh
11-26-2006, 08:42 PM
^^^ I wasnt suggesting it, but its do-able.. lol. Youre right though... might as well have a civic and cut them, lol

maxspeed
11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
my sig pic is 18's with stock suspension

Lensch09
11-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Here's a pic of my old A4 with 18's on sport suspension
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/738738OLD_11.jpg

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/738738May_2004_053.jpg

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/738738LAST_CAR_PICS1_001.jpg

You are definitely without doubt gonna wanna get suspension first. That's what I did on my S and I don't regret doing so
-Dan

ahvier
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
quadaxel - don't shortchange yourself on the suspension. just make sure that your struts/shocks and springs are matched for each other for proper handling. do a quick search and you'll find very common setups listed on AZ. and don't worry so much about the roads in the bay area. as long as you don't put something more track oriented on your car, you won't have any issues. although there are a lot of norcal folks with street/track setups and have no issues. i've been on a bilstein sport/HR sport combo which puts my car at a nice ride height and improves handling considerably over stock. haven't had any problems at all, even for trips to tahoe in 6" of snow. I'm getting bilstein PSS9s in about a week. if you are interested, keep an eye open on the classifieds for my bilstein/HR setup. might be a nice inexpensive option for you.

quadaxel
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
thanks so much everyone. i really, really appreciate all of the help. im going to go with the suspension first before the rims. i really appreciate all the time and effort everyone made to give me their 2cents and the time to upload the pics.

ahiver- pm sent

o yeah, i just got clear side markers from ebay, so my car is now 98% stock, (euro plate and clear markers) hahah

thank you everyone.