PDA

View Full Version : performance modifications?



JMaN06
11-25-2006, 05:55 AM
hello, i just sold my truck and i am about to buy an A4. 98-01 body. most likey going to get a V6 because i like the dash design of 99 the best and the V6 produce more power..



what kind of modds are available for teh V6? such as headers, downpipe, cat-back, etc. i have not been able to find headers and other pipes but i see people with them, and forget to take down the company. any help is appreciated.



thanks

quickglx
11-25-2006, 06:17 AM
Let me be the first to say please search. This has been covered a hunrdred times....

If you want to modify the car you'll probably want to get the 1.8t, much more stuff out there. The 5v 2.8 has a supercharger kit available, but besides that actual performance gains for the 2.8 are hard to find. Just a chipped 1.8t will put you over the power level of 2.8...

JMaN06
11-25-2006, 06:48 AM
whichever i get a better deal on i'd get. but the 99 is what i want. a good year. 4cyl=150 v6=190. 40 HP is a difference in my book.

but if thats the case, how muchs are the chips to make the 4 have the v6 power?

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Without spending $5000, you're probably not going to even get 190 at the wheels with that v6.

For $350-500, you can get a chip for the 1.8T that will put it in the same area or higher than the v6...and that's just the beginning. Look around a bit before you buy - research performance parts and you'll see what we're talking about.

www.ecstuning.com
www.supremepowerparts.com
www.awetuning.com
www.purems.com
www.atpturbo.com

There's more, I just couldn't think of them off the top of my head...

I think everyone here would probably guarantee you that you'd regret the decision to get the 1.8T if you're looking to modify...unless, of course, you're going to supercharge the 2.8!

maxspeed
11-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by sandnessmj
Without spending $5000, you're probably not going to even get 190 at the wheels with that v6.

For $350-500, you can get a chip for the 1.8T that will put it in the same area or higher than the v6...and that's just the beginning. Look around a bit before you buy - research performance parts and you'll see what we're talking about.

www.ecstuning.com
www.supremepowerparts.com
www.awetuning.com
www.purems.com
www.atpturbo.com

There's more, I just couldn't think of them off the top of my head...

I think everyone here would probably guarantee you that you'd regret the decision to get the 1.8T if you're looking to modify...unless, of course, you're going to supercharge the 2.8!


youll never get 190whp from an out of the box chip on a k03...

JMaN06
11-25-2006, 08:20 AM
so youre saying as a young person with speed in their blood, i should get the 4? what kind of stuff can you do to those to get some serious HP. i have seen some with like 350HP...but i have no idea how to go about doing that.

94jedi
11-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by JMaN06
so youre saying as a young person with speed in their blood, i should get the 4? what kind of stuff can you do to those to get some serious HP. i have seen some with like 350HP...but i have no idea how to go about doing that.

well, you're going to have to do some learning. if you have speed in your blood as you say, FORGET THE v6 unless you really really want to be different and spend ALOT of money for very little return.

So now that we've all told you which is the better choice - performance wise, it's just learning the basics.

the 1.8T is a turbo motor so the all the basic mods apply. exhaust, chip, etc. These cars are very dependent on their ECU's alot of hp can be had by properly matching software with hardware. Typically, software and fueling go hand in hand. to get 350 bhp, get yourself a larger turbo, 3" exhaust, big injectors, bigger fuel pump, FMIC, the requisite software for your hardware, and a few other things and you're there.

You need to do some research though. Sounds like you're at the begining of your 1.8T journey.

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by maxspeed
youll never get 190whp from an out of the box chip on a k03...

That's not what I said - I said that the chip will put it in the range of the v6, meaning it will make around the same power as the stock v6. I never said 190whp with a chip.

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi
Sounds like you're at the begining of your 1.8T journey.

Duh duh duh...another one bites the dust!

JMaN06
11-25-2006, 08:39 AM
i am at the begining of my journey. thats for sure.

94jedi, can you elaborate on the "larger turbo, 3" exhaust, big injectors, bigger fuel pump, FMIC, the requisite software for your hardware, and a few other things and you're there."? that sounds pretty much exactly were i want to be but i have no idea what size turbo, what brand, what size injectors, what brand, what size fuel..bla bla bla

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by JMaN06
i am at the begining of my journey. thats for sure.

94jedi, can you elaborate on the "larger turbo, 3" exhaust, big injectors, bigger fuel pump, FMIC, the requisite software for your hardware, and a few other things and you're there."? that sounds pretty much exactly were i want to be but i have no idea what size turbo, what brand, what size injectors, what brand, what size fuel..bla bla bla

Man, you gotta do some looking around. There's a ton of info on here, on Audiworld, and other forums and sites that will put you in the right direction. No one is going to be able to just sit down and piece a turbo kit for you. Look at ATPturbo.com if you're on a tighter budget...or maybe www.goapr.com if you've got some money to spend...

94jedi
11-25-2006, 09:11 AM
well, to get aquainted with the "Big Turbo" options out there, first look at the available "kits" for our cars.

check out these in particular:
PES T-28 kit
APR Stg 3 and Stg 3+
ATP GT28RS hardware kit (you'll need software and fueling for this one).

get familiar with the "kits" see what parts they're made up of and from there you can start looking at maybe sourcing pieces here and there for your own custom kit. Of course, you're going to have to learn alot to pull off your own custom kit.

JMaN06
11-25-2006, 09:38 AM
i saw those kits

"PES T-28 kit
APR Stg 3 and Stg 3+
ATP GT28RS hardware kit "

but for an everyday driver with lots of power, which kit would be the best?

i was thinking APR stage 3. and what else is needed with that kit besides an exahust?

btw, thanks 94jedi. i dont even know what to research and everyone is just about research...but you have to know where to start..

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by JMaN06
but for an everyday driver with lots of power, which kit would be the best?

i was thinking APR stage 3. and what else is needed with that kit besides an exahust?


I have the APR SIII, and yes, it's great as a daily driver with lots of power. There are other kits that make more power, but APR is pretty proven at this point, and the stage III doesn't sacrifice driveability at all...

salz2135
11-25-2006, 10:13 AM
you should have searched.

everyone knows these guys are messing with you about the potential of the 1.8T. you're going to be able to make way more power with a 2.8 far and away.

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by salz2135
everyone knows these guys are messing with you about the potential of the 1.8T. you're going to be able to make way more power with a 2.8 far and away.

hahaha....

Okay, I realize there is some truth in that statement, however, you forgot to add that a deep pocket is required for serious modification of the 2.8...

offroader1006
11-25-2006, 10:27 AM
search, or get the 2.8, and make sure its not the laggy AWD. fwd puts out way more power to the ground.

sean1.8t
11-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by salz2135
you should have searched.

everyone knows these guys are messing with you about the potential of the 1.8T. you're going to be able to make way more power with a 2.8 far and away.

^^don't lie to the kid.. now he's going to go get a 2.8, realize what he has done and start kicking himself..

ON TOPIC: the APR kit is very proven but it is a lot of $$$.. look at www.renn-art.com. they have a great kit now that is just like ATP's but comes with the software and support you're going to need.

but just so you know. with basic bolt ons to my 1.8T i demolish 2.8s

JMaN06
11-25-2006, 11:14 AM
as far as deep pocket, im far from it. and as far as the 1.8 goes, i think you guys have convinced me. chip, exhaust, intake, and ill be ahead of 2.8?

on another note, some audi mechanic tried telling me that A4 1.8t's dont have blow off valves, is this true?

salz2135
11-25-2006, 11:21 AM
first off, welcome to AZ. you'll learn a lot here.

help the archives grow in a positive way: make sure you do your homework before posting a thread. if you have the ground work taken care of before asking a question people will be more inclined to offer their knowledge.

94jedi
11-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JMaN06
as far as deep pocket, im far from it. and as far as the 1.8 goes, i think you guys have convinced me. chip, exhaust, intake, and ill be ahead of 2.8?

on another note, some audi mechanic tried telling me that A4 1.8t's dont have blow off valves, is this true?

yeah, those mods and you'll be ahead of a 2.8 by a good amount.

It's true, we don't have BOV's. Our cars are set up from the factory to recirculate that air back into the intake.

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by JMaN06
as far as deep pocket, im far from it.

But how deep? With the chip and exhaust (screw the intake), you're really not throwing that much money into it (comparatively speaking). Of course, deep for you might not be as deep as for someone else. Even so, most BT setups on the 1.8 will run you less than the PES supercharger for the 2.8.

sean1.8t
11-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by sandnessmj
Even so, most BT setups on the 1.8 will run you less than the PES supercharger for the 2.8.

umm.. not really. as far as part for part most BT setup's will be cheaper than a PES supercharger.. plus the supercharger is limited to about 300chp where a BT can go up to 400chp on stock internals and even further beyond that..

the reason that i don't like the PES kit is because my buddy derick had one for about a year. he was unhappy with the power he was limited to so he recently sold it and is going the turbo route

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by sean1.8t
umm.. not really. as far as part for part most BT setup's will be cheaper than a PES supercharger.. plus the supercharger is limited to about 300chp where a BT can go up to 400chp on stock internals and even further beyond that..

the reason that i don't like the PES kit is because my buddy derick had one for about a year. he was unhappy with the power he was limited to so he recently sold it and is going the turbo route

I was talking cost, not power...

sean1.8t
11-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by sandnessmj
I was talking cost, not power...

so was i. the PES comes with what? supercharger, injectors, and software. for like $5000..

you could buy a full kit from renn-art that comes with more than that for about $3200

BranCKY3
11-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Chipped 1.8T will pull on a 2.8. Also, you're looking for a 99.5, not a 99. The 1999's don't have updated anything, 99.5+ gets the good headlights, tail lights, and interior.

A good BT setup will cost you over $4k, since you need a clutch, front mount intercooler, exhaust, turbo / manifold / hardware, and software.

BranCKY3
11-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by sean1.8t
so was i. the PES comes with what? supercharger, injectors, and software. for like $5000..

you could buy a full kit from renn-art that comes with more than that for about $3200

Yep, and that kit from renn-art will probably eat a supercharged 2.8 any day of the week.

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by sean1.8t
so was i. the PES comes with what? supercharger, injectors, and software. for like $5000..

you could buy a full kit from renn-art that comes with more than that for about $3200

I think you've got what I said confused...I was saying that the PES supercharger will cost more than most BT setups for the 1.8, meaning that unless he has REAL deep pockets, he should look for a 1.8 to modify, because he'll get more bang for his buck.

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BranCKY3
Chipped 1.8T will pull on a 2.8. Also, you're looking for a 99.5, not a 99. The 1999's don't have updated anything, 99.5+ gets the good headlights, tail lights, and interior.


I'm pretty sure the 98.5 got the better taillights...my 99 has the newer tails, everything else is "pre-facelift"...

sean1.8t
11-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by sandnessmj
I think you've got what I said confused.
you know you are right. i apologise. i just kinda skim read it and swear it said more than a PES kit.. my bad.. well at least this thread will be good for the archives

*EDIT- although it's not like anyone will ever look it up. i see an exact same thread started in less than 2 weeks

a4sleepa
11-25-2006, 02:28 PM
jeebus dude...just get the 1.8....trust me you'll be happier

salz2135
11-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by sandnessmj
I'm pretty sure the 98.5 got the better taillights...my 99 has the newer tails, everything else is "pre-facelift"...

unless someone swapped out the headlights you have the prefacelift tails in your 98. you may be confusing the first generation tails that had a small bit of orange,

sandnessmj
11-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by salz2135
unless someone swapped out the headlights you have the prefacelift tails in your 98. you may be confusing the first generation tails that had a small bit of orange,

Well, mine's a 99 (not 99.5), and the tails are all red except for the white line for the reverse lights. Was there an update since that? I don't recall seeing any other differences in the 00-01 tails...

94jedi
11-25-2006, 05:39 PM
FWIW, my 98.5 has the 99.5 and up tails. the previous owner bought the car new and was not an enthusiast so I knw he didn't swap the tails. He's one of the partners at my eng. firm so I could ask to be sure.

sean1.8t
11-25-2006, 06:19 PM
yeah you're right jedi. 98.5 was like a pre-pre facelift. newer tails and the only other thing that i know of is they removed the little audi badge from underneath the sidemarkers

XipeR
11-26-2006, 09:14 AM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96446

Read that I wrote it for the B6 guys but pretty much everything is the same except that the B5 guys dont have the 1+ or Big Injector file option and you guys need an FPR for BT kits.

JMaN06
11-26-2006, 09:32 AM
someone sent me a chart on the differences on another forum. i will post it up shortly. it will answer all body change questions...

EVIL-AUDI
11-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Please search.

fred2ka4
11-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi
well, to get aquainted with the "Big Turbo" options out there, first look at the available "kits" for our cars.

check out these in particular:
PES T-28 kit
APR Stg 3 and Stg 3+
ATP GT28RS hardware kit (you'll need software and fueling for this one).




Just keep in mind that the APR stage III+ will only work with the 2001 Audi, and up.

I have been talking with APR, and they do not have plans to develope this kit for the 98-00 models. It has to do with the injectors and programing.

JMaN06
11-26-2006, 10:02 AM
ohh... i was under the idea that they did make that for the B5.. on their website they hve it listed for the B5..

fred2ka4
11-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by JMaN06
ohh... i was under the idea that they did make that for the B5.. on their website they hve it listed for the B5..

Yeah, every time I talk to them they say they need to update their website and they never do. But you can call them and ask, because the more interest that is shown for the stg III+ kit, the better the chances are that they might develope it for the other B5 model cars.

sandnessmj
11-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, technically it IS for the B5 - just not all model years. I believe that they used to have it for the other B5 1.8T's, but stopped offering it for some reason or another. There was a guy who just sold his 2000 A4 that had the stage III+ kit on it, and he claimed there were only a few others out there with it.

The main difference between the stage III and stage III+ is the turbo, right? GT28R and GT28RS?

JMaN06
11-26-2006, 10:24 AM
turbo yes.... but im not worried about that. i was just curious

fred2ka4
11-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by sandnessmj
Well, technically it IS for the B5 - just not all model years. I believe that they used to have it for the other B5 1.8T's, but stopped offering it for some reason or another. There was a guy who just sold his 2000 A4 that had the stage III+ kit on it, and he claimed there were only a few others out there with it.

The main difference between the stage III and stage III+ is the turbo, right? GT28R and GT28RS?

No.

The only thing that is the same between the kits is the exhaust manifold.

If you already have a Stg III and wanted to upgrade you would get new:

1) turbo
2) injectors
3) 3" MAF
4) turbo piping
5) new programming

and you would have to buy the new carbonio intake which is not included in the kit, but was designed for it, unless you get your own 3" intake.

The 2001 is basically a B5 with a B6 motor, as I was told by Keith at APR, because I have been wanting to upgrade since the Stg III+ was released, and was told that I could not. I don't know why they would say that if it wasn't true because that would be a sale for them. You could probably buy the upgrade kit, and get some custom programming, by GIAC or something, but APR says that's it's not available at this time. Also if there were a few kits out there, they may have been prototypes, but then later given up on because of programming issues.

sandnessmj
11-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by fred2ka4
No.

The only thing that is the same between the kits is the exhaust manifold.

If you already have a Stg III and wanted to upgrade you would get new:

1) turbo
2) injectors
3) 3" MAF
4) turbo piping
5) new programming

and you would have to buy the new carbonio intake which is not included in the kit, but was designed for it, unless you get your own 3" intake.

The 2001 is basically the a B5 with a B6 motor, as I was told by Keith at APR, because I have been wanting to upgrade since the Stg III+ was released, and was told that I could not. I don't know why they would say that if it wasn't true because that would be a sale for them. You could probably buy the upgrade kit, and get some custom programming, by GIAC or something, but APR says that's it's not available at this time. Also if there were a few kits out there, they may have been prototypes, but then later given up on because of programming issues.

Gotcha - guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon!

Euro
11-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by JMaN06
hello, i just sold my truck and i am about to buy an A4. 98-01 body. most likey going to get a V6 because i like the dash design of 99 the best and the V6 produce more power..



what kind of modds are available for teh V6? such as headers, downpipe, cat-back, etc. i have not been able to find headers and other pipes but i see people with them, and forget to take down the company. any help is appreciated.

thanks

Damn... Im sorry bro..

You got a lot to learn. But thats what were here for. [:D] Good luck

JMaN06
11-26-2006, 07:07 PM
learn what?

JMaN06
11-29-2006, 01:17 PM
is pre 00 drive by wire or 00-01 drive by wire??