PDA

View Full Version : Launching Perfectly?



HoovyJuice
11-23-2006, 08:03 PM
I was woundering what u experienced guys were doing when launching ur A4's. Mine is a 2.8L 30v quattro. Are u guys dumping the clutch at a certain RPM to start off and what is the perfect RPM's to shift at to get the best time? Thanks guy!

bellofello
11-23-2006, 08:22 PM
For my 30V I do this...

1) Clutch in 1st gear.
2) Floor it
3) Let clutch go at 5000 rpm ish.

Thats all there is to it.
Welcome, and search for this because there are a few threads on this topic. I am glad to answer, but some guys on here.... don't like a bunch of the same thread.

Also if I don't want such a hard launch, I'll let her go at a lower rpm and feather the clutch to prevent it from bogging.

Search my name, there is a video of an in car (not the best vid although) in the 2.8 video thread. A decent launch.
here, it takes a little while to load for some reason: http://media.putfile.com/Audi-a4-28-acceleration

sean1.8t
11-23-2006, 09:17 PM
^^that on a stock clutch? can you say slippage?? say good by to it in no time.. you need a high performance clutch to do that..

i've never driven a 2.8 5spd before but i would say get it up to somewhere between 2-3k rpm's and feather the clutch out with more gas.. just a guess for that setup though

ExpLlclT
11-23-2006, 11:55 PM
i dumed my clutch at 4 grand in the rain and it stuck great but i lanched at like 4.5 in dry and mine slipped like a mofo ...

mike-2ptzero
11-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by sean1.8t
^^that on a stock clutch? can you say slippage?? say good by to it in no time.. you need a high performance clutch to do that..

i've never driven a 2.8 5spd before but i would say get it up to somewhere between 2-3k rpm's and feather the clutch out with more gas.. just a guess for that setup though


Feathering the clutch will cause slipping also since it makes the clutch heat up. The ONLY reason to feather a clutch is to decrease tire spin. If you want to feather something use the throttle other wise you will end up changing the clutch more often.

sean1.8t
11-24-2006, 03:21 PM
true, but i imagine that it would be less stress than a 5 k dump

mike-2ptzero
11-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by sean1.8t
true, but i imagine that it would be less stress than a 5 k dump


Not at all, you want the tires to spin which decreases the stress on the driveline. I dump my clutch at 6k rpms while making full boost (32-35psi) during the launch, this is done using anti-lag/launch control.

sean1.8t
11-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
Not at all, you want the tires to spin which decreases the stress on the driveline. I dump my clutch at 6k rpms while making full boost (32-35psi) during the launch, this is done using anti-lag/launch control.
were we talking about your car?

i pretty sure your car and a stock 2.8 v6 with a STOCK clutch is slightly different

mike-2ptzero
11-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by sean1.8t
were we talking about your car?

i pretty sure your car and a stock 2.8 v6 with a STOCK clutch is slightly different


LOL, you have heard of an using something as an "example"? Would you like me to use 1 of the other cars I drag race as example to make you feel better?

How long have you been racing your car?


How different is my car(which I have been drag racing for over 6 years) any different then a 2.8? In both you press the gas, let out the clutch and shift gears.

smoothie
11-24-2006, 06:18 PM
2.8 daily driver......your car is a race car?? my guess lol

sean1.8t
11-24-2006, 06:45 PM
yes, what he said ^^

your car has what, 4 times the power as the car this guy is talking about.. if you were to give an example it should be one that is on point of the thread

Neo1130
11-24-2006, 06:47 PM
I have dumped my clutch at 5k on a STOCK 2.8 with a STOCK clutch and got 4, 6 inch rubber marks in the street... Won't do it again though due to two shot motor mounts and a shot rear diff mount...

mike-2ptzero
11-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by sean1.8t
yes, what he said ^^

your car has what, 4 times the power as the car this guy is talking about.. if you were to give an example it should be one that is on point of the thread

First off my car did NOT come with 530whp stock from Audi, I bought it stock(150chp) right off the dealer lot and have been racing it since it had nothing but a chip(200chp) which is what the 2.8 comes stock with and then with a custom GIAC for my K03 I was making 200whp(250chp) with a stock clutch and then with the very first aftermarket clutch for the dbw setup, that was back in 2001.

Is that example good enought now?

nizmosx
11-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
First off my car did NOT come with 530whp stock from Audi, I bought it stock(150chp) right off the dealer lot and have been racing it since it had nothing but a chip(200chp) which is what the 2.8 comes stock with and then with a custom GIAC for my K03 I was making 200whp(250chp) with a stock clutch and then with the very first aftermarket clutch for the dbw setup, that was back in 2001.

Is that example good enought now?


off topic but

i remember being at pomona with my s13 drag racing it when i first met you mike. you were stock with a chip, but i remember your times are what made me want to get rid of my car and get an audi.

so i will vouche that you were racing your car when it was stock. Even though his car has much more power now, it doesnt mean he doesnt know how to launch a stock car, give me a break.



Personally if i were you and wanted to learn how to launch my car, i would start by reving up to 3k then drop the clutch. Then try a 3.5k launch, then 4k. When you gain the skill and experience of the technique. try a 5k or higher launch.

sean1.8t
11-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
Is that example good enought now?

yes that is better. it's not that i don't doubt your driving and dragging abilities. we are all reminded of them over just about every post you make, it's just i didn't want you to tell this guy with a completely stock car to go do 6k dumps all the time and eventually break something

mike-2ptzero
11-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by sean1.8t
yes that is better. it's not that i don't doubt your driving and dragging abilities. we are all reminded of them over just about every post you make, it's just i didn't want you to tell this guy with a completely stock car to go do 6k dumps all the time and eventually break something


Ok, but I never once told him to dump his clutch at 6k. He shouldnt need to go that high since his peak tq is much closer to 4k, it just takes a few times to figure out what rpm a car will launch the best.

fred2ka4
11-24-2006, 10:00 PM
I did a 5k launch on my APR stage III Audi with a stock clutch and this is what happened .......



http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/Audiclutch004.jpg



http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/Audiclutch001.jpg



But like Mike said, you have to figure out what will work best with a few, gradually increased launches, and then go from there, unless you want to be like me and limp home and replace a clutch ...... [eek] [:(] [:D]

victorvu
11-24-2006, 10:23 PM
i dumped mines at 4500rpm on my stock clutch. my tires dont slip since my car is bone stock and there isnt enough power to spin it and plus it has traction control. so it grips fine. at first i was lauching at 5-6k rpm and then rpm just drops to like 2 but when i launch at 4-4500 the rpm barely drops so i guess best launch will be at 4500 if you're stock.

victorvu
11-24-2006, 10:24 PM
btw mines a 5speed 1.8t

burner799
11-24-2006, 11:35 PM
uhhhh im not trying to contradict mike hood or anything cause hes da man but, My cars pretty close with a 2.8 and theres pretty much nothing i can do to let the tires break loose, like i strait up dont have enough power to break traction. Dumping from 6k will just burn the clutch out.....I launch damn well from 3k rpm and i have video of me jumping a length+ on a b7 3.2 and a b6 3.0 avant......both modified. (b6 driver is older and more experienced than me. b7 guy sucks, sorry grant if you see this lol)


this is the vid, launch around 3k

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m45/burner799/?action=view&current=NAS10.flv

bellofello
11-24-2006, 11:55 PM
My clutch is f-ed though. The guy I bought it from said he just replaced it recently. It feels like poo, slips on launches, has a crappy grab point. Also during daily driving it stanks whenever I stop and get out. I need a new clutch for sure. and a twin turbo.... and built internals.... I'm rambling :D

mike-2ptzero
11-25-2006, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by burner799
uhhhh im not trying to contradict mike hood or anything cause hes da man but, My cars pretty close with a 2.8 and theres pretty much nothing i can do to let the tires break loose, like i strait up dont have enough power to break traction. Dumping from 6k will just burn the clutch out.....I launch damn well from 3k rpm and i have video of me jumping a length+ on a b7 3.2 and a b6 3.0 avant......both modified. (b6 driver is older and more experienced than me. b7 guy sucks, sorry grant if you see this lol)


this is the vid, launch around 3k

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m45/burner799/?action=view&current=NAS10.flv


You need to increase the tire pressure to 45-50psi if you want to spin the tires. Doing this decreases the tire patch which then decreases the load on the driveline. This will then decrease the chance of the clutch slipping.



Fred - that is what happens when the clutch slips too much causing the pressure plate to over heat. I had that happen to me at the track, snapped mine into 5 pieces and then had to drive it home 2 hrs without being able to shift while the car was running. [:(]

mike-2ptzero
11-25-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by bellofello
My clutch is f-ed though. The guy I bought it from said he just replaced it recently. It feels like poo, slips on launches, has a crappy grab point. Also during daily driving it stanks whenever I stop and get out. I need a new clutch for sure. and a twin turbo.... and built internals.... I'm rambling :D


Sounds like he replaced the clutch without resurfacing/replacing the flywheel or the clutch wasn't cut correctly causing it to not grab fully when the pedal is released.

audi510
12-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I have a 2.8 and i raced another 2.8, i dumped it at 5 and he feathered it at 5500 and he beat me. Dumping the clucth is NOT the way to drive the 2.8. I raced the same car again and feathered the clutch out and we pretty much tied. Even in 2nd and 3rd gear I have found feathering VERY slightly is better you can feel a huge difference if you do it right, but maybe my clutch is old or something.

mike-2ptzero
12-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I have a 2.8 and i raced another 2.8, i dumped it at 5 and he feathered it at 5500 and he beat me. Dumping the clucth is NOT the way to drive the 2.8. I raced the same car again and feathered the clutch out and we pretty much tied. Even in 2nd and 3rd gear I have found feathering VERY slightly is better you can feel a huge difference if you do it right, but maybe my clutch is old or something.



Well it all depends on if the person dumping the clutch does it at the right rpm since it will put down all the power to the ground while feathering only allows you to put down a % of power to the ground. Car that puts the most power to the ground with traction wins. [:D]

ahutch1
12-13-2006, 03:00 PM
I have a FWD (yes I know its just like a jetta and I'm going to get flammed) and dumping the clutch is pretty much out of the question. If i want to get a good launch the only thing I can really do is feather.

mike-2ptzero
12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
I have a FWD (yes I know its just like a jetta and I'm going to get flammed) and dumping the clutch is pretty much out of the question. If i want to get a good launch the only thing I can really do is feather.



That would be the correct thing to do with a fwd that does not have enough traction. Now with some good DR's or slicks you would be able to dump the clutch.

Kreizy31
12-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a FWD (yes I know its just like a jetta and I'm going to get flammed) and dumping the clutch is pretty much out of the question. If i want to get a good launch the only thing I can really do is feather.

nothing wrong with a fwd, ive got one too. they way less, and do you really track your car that often? im fine without quattro, ive only tracked once and the suspension held up just fine. i dont have to worry about snow because i go to school here at ucsb (which is basically a beach with buildings) and live in west la when im not here, no snow and nearly no rain there either.

FWD FTW[:D]

ahutch1
12-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I agree, my FWD has done me quite well, especially since I go to school at u of a so snow isn't really a huge issue. but from what I have read FWD isn't to popular on these boards.

Kreizy31
12-13-2006, 07:42 PM
because they live in the forest. lol, jk.

fwd is fine with me, im going k04 and fwd will handle it. if i was going big big turbo, then it might be an issue, but i dont plan on putting in $6k into my car right now, just not worth it, i think its exactly where i want it to be (once i get the k04 and software done in a month)

ill just wait til im out of college, do a mod here and there til i can afford an rs6 or get myself an m5, all before im 25, the 996tt can come once i get my house...no rush :)

sean1.8t
12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
but from what I have read FWD isn't to popular on these boards.

yeah, no one really likes bOOOOstedAudi.. we just like his girlfriend...[:p]

Kreizy31
12-13-2006, 08:28 PM
lol, wtf? idk about his girlfriend, i like mine.

ActiveMonkey
12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
1) Clutch in 1st gear.
2) Floor it
3) Let clutch go at 5000 rpm ish.


I pretty much do they same thing but at 6000rpm. On my stock clutch i couldn't do anything above 3300rpm or it would slip like sex with way too much KJ. Horrible.

Now thanks to Bitterchild i am slip free! [:D]

I never took my air preasure above 40, but when i would launch on dry ground i would crirp and go zoom. Now on wet i can spin through 1st and half through 2nd if i shift fast enough.

Almost want to take dish soap and mix it in one of those super soakers and spray the ground infront of the tires and infront of the car. Ya know... for that HOly Sh*t type of wheel spin fun.

BeeFiveQuattro
12-14-2006, 11:04 AM
nothing wrong with a fwd, ive got one too. they way less, and do you really track your car that often? im fine without quattro, ive only tracked once and the suspension held up just fine. i dont have to worry about snow because i go to school here at ucsb (which is basically a beach with buildings) and live in west la when im not here, no snow and nearly no rain there either.

FWD FTW[:D]

Funny; I live in LA and couldn't live without quattro.. but do live without a BT (for now)

-Downhill canyon runs FTW [drive]

audispeed
12-14-2006, 12:09 PM
once in a while in the wet i will just drop the clutch (stock) at 3000 rpm and break all 4 loose. in the dry, i dont really mess around. stock clutch + 100k miles + supercharger + not enough money to replace the clutch right now = careful driving.