PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Running Rich. PES G2 Supercharged A4 2.8 30v here

RudeMood
11-22-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm about to strap a bomb to this pile of crap. I have been patient for the longest time with this stupid rich condition, but it's really got me at the end of my ropes.

I have replaced my plugs, checked for vacuum leaks, changed my wires, changed my MAF twice. All readings on the vag-com are normal. O2 voltages are fine. MAF values are fine.
The long term fuel trims are still -25% with both banks rich on the multiplicative levels.

I have a 4bar FPR in ther car with the colder plugs I was suggested to use.
The plug gaps are .028

The car stutters and surges at idle. It even died on me last night after starting it up. It's like these problems just come and go. For a month or so its fine, then it's rich again. This is the most absurd crap ever.

Is it the colder plug i'm using? Should I move to an iridium stock heat range?
Should I change to a 3bar FPR like PES suggested (seems like a band aid to the issue itself)? Should I change my 02's even though the voltages are correct? Given the mileage I have now, 138,000, wouldn't they be caked with deposit?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want this dang rich CEL gone.

SoFresh
11-22-2006, 10:31 AM
I got this same issue... who knows the fix?

EuroA4
11-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Why don't you start by calling PES to discuss your problems/options.

RudeMood
11-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Why don't you re-read my initial post.

Should I change to a 3bar FPR like PES suggested...

I did speak with PES. They suggested installing a 3bar FPR which I feel is like putting a band-aid on the situation. Things were fine before - hence why I want to find a solution to the problem. Not mask it.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, please do not ruin the thread.

xr4tic
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by RudeMood

I did speak with PES. They suggested installing a 3bar FPR which I feel is like putting a band-aid on the situation. Things were fine before - hence why I want to find a solution to the problem. Not mask it.

That's a good attitude to have when people offer suggestions.

If it ran fine, then all of a sudden didn't, then something changed.

It has nothing to do with your spark plugs, although colder plugs will have a greater propensity to foul out.

Maybe start by verifying that your FPR is actually working. Maybe the pressure is too high?

Going from a 4 bar to a 3 bar FPR will lean it out by ~15%

My guess is that the excessive richness has taken its toll on your O2 sensors. When they were good, it took a long time for the problem to get bad, now that they are bad, it happens more quickly. You need to make an attempt to correct the problem, or they will just go bad again.

I would start with a 3 bar FPR, reset the ECU, and see what happens. Maybe you can get PES to send you another chip, perhaps you got a wrong file?

If possible, put in all the stock components - injectors, FPR, ECU, and it *should* run ok, just don't get into boost, maybe disconnect the belt or something? if it runs fine, then you know your problem isn't the install, it's chip/injectors/FPR related.

samx
11-22-2006, 01:07 PM
How do your plugs look?

Is there any way you can get a hold of a wideband or something to see if you are actually running rich?

EuroA4
11-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by RudeMood

Only reason I suggested you call PES is because I know Jeremy has alot of knowledge about the kit...and could probably help you out more if you continue working with him.

So you should take it easy with your big 3 posts with suggesting that I am not contributing something constructive. Especially since they have suggested you do something to fix the problem and you have not done it.

RudeMood
11-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm not trying to start an argument. I appreciate all of your suggestions. I apologize for my short attitude. It's been a long week.

I am going to test for vacuum leaks one more time this weekend. If nothing is found, i'm going to take a look at the 02's and see their actual condition. I'm willing to bet they are just coated in depost.

smoothie
11-22-2006, 10:22 PM
they probobly are and you could put new ones in and it would fix it.... but it will just happen again. need to find the root of the problem, sorry i can't acctualy help you with this, i'm still quite new to my a4.

off topic: just wondering if it would be at all possible if we could meet up some time? i live half hour north of madison. i am really interested in supercharging the v6(even though i am a 12v[down]) I just would like to see one in person and share some insight on them :) shoot me a PM if you want, cheers.

a4cefed
11-23-2006, 08:12 AM
^ you wont be able to SC the 12v with out spending the same amount as buying a 2.8 30v. i used to have a 12v and researched day in and day out. maybe there is some new info out there now, im not sure.

smoothie
11-23-2006, 09:43 AM
o ya i know this already, lol. i have also searched all over the place.... i decided to either get a different car in a few years with the engine that i want or just do a swap for a 30V or S4??which ever seems to be the better of a choice at the timel. idk those are just some wild ideas i have for a future that i have no clue about besides my schooling...

bitterchild
11-23-2006, 10:08 AM
i would have recommended a 3bar as well.