PDA

View Full Version : Attn: suspension gurus (alingment Q)

brlukosk
11-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Long story short, i didnt torque the top strut bolt when i installed my coilovers. Drivers side came loose, i took it apart and tightened it properly, problem solved.

I think I am now having the same problem on the passenger side. I want to pull the strut and check it out, but a re-alignment would suck..

I am wondering if there is any way to pull the strut so i dont mess up the alignment, as i just got it done last month, or do I have no choice?
Ther have been mixed opinons in the pas regarding alignments even between audi/vw techs. Some say you need one after taking the strut out, others say you can even get away with a control arm replacement without throwing off the specs.

anyone have some advixe?
Sorry for any typos, i am posting from my phone.

Poopie
11-22-2006, 10:20 AM
There are 2 painted paper caps about the struts in the engine bay. Pry them out ( you will destroy them) and you will see 2 nuts holding the strut to the mount. Then there is the lower strut bolt. Take those out, you might need to turn your steering wheel to help lift the strut over the control arm. Having a buddy helps. Doing it this way you will not lose your allignment and once you get it down, you can do your front suspension in an hour. Good luck

SeanF
11-22-2006, 10:26 AM
yup^ the only time you need to do an alignment after doing that is if you change the ride height of the car...

brlukosk
11-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Nice.

I am very familiar with the plastic cap method.

my caps are long gone.

thanks for the tip.