PDA

View Full Version : Need help reading logs

SeanF
11-22-2006, 08:36 AM
ok, so its been a long issue that at full throttle id have a little less power than at say 90% throttle... and its been seeming to boost too much...

well, i finally was able to run some logs (pain in the ass by the way)

heres the story behind that, i got a new laptop, with no serial port, so my parents use my old laptop, that i had a vag-cable for... so i order a usb cable, and it effing sucks... doesnt connect to the car with the car turned on..

well the old laptops battery is screwed so i used a power invertor... and the plug for it that goes into the cigarette lighter is too long, so i had to hold it in for the computer to stay running...

heres the log, im a little concerned with the maf readings... 175g/s is alot for just a chip. also, why am I not pulling ANY timing? Intake air temps never got above 33* Celcius, and im running 93 octane on a 91 tune, so im hoping thats why im not pulling timing, but should it not be pulling some?!

http://i7.tinypic.com/2pqvwc1.jpg

SeanF
11-22-2006, 11:33 AM
also, thats like a 9.5second caps, wtf?!

the reason i know somethings wrong, is that i raced a 325xi a while back and pulled pretty good on him, and then raced one yesterday and only inched on him...

Neo1130
11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
MAF readings are fine... The colder air will probably make it seem like there is more comming in but I could be wrong on that... I do know that those values are fine... It looks like you are running stock timing but it could also be the 93 octane... I don't get any timing pull on 93 octane until about 6000 rpm... I also don't think that your o2 values are very accurate... Looks like it isn't even plugged in maybe? But I also have a 9.5 caps time which pisses me off, I should have about 7.5 with my mods!!

mike-2ptzero
11-22-2006, 12:53 PM
This is a ndbw car right? Might want to do another log but this time do block 031 insead of block 032.

Maf readings seem normal for a chipped K03 and timing seems good. Need to see 02 readings which is block 031. If it is a ndbw car you cant add timing with lemmiwinks but you could always mix in some 87 or 89 to bring down for the 91 octane tune your running. Because your running higher octane then what the chip is tuned for I am going to say that your 02 readings are going to be slightly on the rich side during wot, this is why you feel like the car is stronger at part throttle. During part throttle the ecu will adjust the fuel using the 02 sensor readings.

SeanF
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
when looking at the TPS in Vag-com it says (even when i floor the pedal) that it is part throttle... so wouldnt that mean its adjusting with the 02 sensors still?

yea im NDBW, sucks APR didnt make a 93 file for ndbw..

mike-2ptzero
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by SeanF
when looking at the TPS in Vag-com it says (even when i floor the pedal) that it is part throttle... so wouldnt that mean its adjusting with the 02 sensors still?

yea im NDBW, sucks APR didnt make a 93 file for ndbw..

On your log it says your throttle is at 86degs which is where it should be at.

ModifiedA4
11-22-2006, 01:13 PM
seems like your chip is mildy tuned (or not taking advantage of the 93)...timing CFs of straight 0's is not really a good thing performance wise. I think in colder weather you could get away with using 91...in the summer it would be a different scenario.

judging by block 032 (which you dont need to log, just write down the two numbers) you are running rich at idle. bad plugs? cold start programming? intake restriction? just some thoughts.

mike-2ptzero
11-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ModifiedA4
seems like your chip is mildy tuned (or not taking advantage of the 93)...timing CFs of straight 0's is not really a good thing performance wise. I think in colder weather you could get away with using 91...in the summer it would be a different scenario.

judging by block 032 (which you dont need to log, just write down the two numbers) you are running rich at idle. bad plugs? cold start programming? intake restriction? just some thoughts.

He could also run a hotter plug during the winter which is what most people do anyway.

ModifiedA4
11-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
He could also run a hotter plug during the winter which is what most people do anyway.

probably the better idea performance-wise. maybe the idle richness would go away too.

SeanF
11-22-2006, 01:43 PM
im running NGK 6E's

it gets cold where i live, and especially cold where i go to school...

modified- the chip is apr, 91, and the gas i actually use is 93

SeanF
11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
also, the idle jumps from 840-880... back and forth...

SeanF
11-22-2006, 01:46 PM
so the 1.6 at part throttle means its running lean and the -7.6 at idle means its running rich?

mike-2ptzero
11-22-2006, 03:11 PM
so the 1.6 at part throttle means its running lean and the -7.6 at idle means its running rich?

Just means that the adjustments it has made at idle was to remove fuel and at part throttle to add fuel because of the 02 readings. That reading stays there till it reads something different or you clear the DTC codes.

SeanF
11-23-2006, 07:30 AM
what else did you say i should log?

offroader1006
11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
hah i got 86.8deg throttle

[:D]

SeanF
11-23-2006, 09:47 AM
if i really push into it i can get 87.4

bitterchild
11-23-2006, 10:07 AM
reset ecu, tb align and log again

mike-2ptzero
11-23-2006, 10:07 AM
what else did you say i should log?

Blocks just replace 032 with block 031

all 3 together

SeanF
11-23-2006, 10:21 AM
the ecu was reset and TB alignment done only a week before this log was taken..

gotpancit
11-28-2006, 04:37 PM
That looks like your car wasn't even warmed up yet. I don't think there is a way you can make your o2's read constant like that unless they aren't fully warmed up.

It's also probably not pulling timing because it's not warmed up and is in closed loop.

Maybe this is my noobness but does the loging software allow you to log on the fly while the car is in closed loop? If thats the case then I don't think you would see anything for the timing retard (haha Borat, retard). Anyways just my .02. My vag is comming soon.

mike-2ptzero
11-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by gotpancit
That looks like your car wasn't even warmed up yet. I don't think there is a way you can make your o2's read constant like that unless they aren't fully warmed up.

It's also probably not pulling timing because it's not warmed up and is in closed loop.

Maybe this is my noobness but does the loging software allow you to log on the fly while the car is in closed loop? If thats the case then I don't think you would see anything for the timing retard (haha Borat, retard). Anyways just my .02. My vag is comming soon.

The 02 readings on his log are just for fuel correction at idle/part throttle and his log is for at WOT so those 02 readings will stay where they are at(block 032). The 02 readings you are thinking about is block 031 which shows voltage readings for AFR.

If the coolant gauge is in the middle then his car is running in normal mode. The main issue with his car(talked to him by PM) is the fact that he is running 93 octane on a WC 91 octane chip which would run correctly with EC 89 octane fuel. Running 93 on a 91 chip is like running straight 100 on a 93 chip which would get the same readings with the vag.