PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Speaker Question

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Ok guys, I installed my rear speakers today and I now have a problem. This problem did not occur with my aftermarkert front speakers installed, only once I installed the rear aftermarket speakers, however this sound comes from all 4 speakers now... Heres the sound, when I turn the sound up on the head unit, once I get to about 20-25 on the volume control, there is a popping sound that comes from the speakers, all 4 of them, sounds like they are blown, however they are not blown at all... Here is my setup:

-Panasonic Head Unit (This unit has 4x14 watts RMS, and 4x50 watts peak)
-Rockford Fosgate Power Series 6.5" rear speakers (75 Watts RMS, 150 Watts Peak)
-Rockford Fosgate Power Series 5" or 6" front speakers, I dont remember, probably the same watts
-Rockford Fosgate Speaker Wiring

Im just assuming I need an amplifier for these speakers to fix my problem, is this all? Or is there something else wrong? If I do need an amp, what style? 2-channel or 4-channel? How would you wire the speakers all to the amp and then to the head unit?

Speckto
11-21-2006, 06:16 PM
It could be the speakers physically hitting the grate cover... that is the problem with my one in the rear deck and i noticed that if i put my finger in from inside the trunk i can almost mute the vibrations... that is.. if your hearing vibration...

burner799
11-21-2006, 06:17 PM
okay if you did not have bose, when removing the rear speakers you removed their amplifier along with them cause the amp is attached to the rear driver side speaker. you did not have this problem with the fronts becaue the amp is in the kickpanel and not attached to the speakers. You stock HU is not putting out enough power to turn the volume up on the rears, you need a 4 channel or 2 channel amp. better to just go 4 channel, worth paying a little more up front for better sound.

sandnessmj
11-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Not sure what the popping is from, but I posted to let you know that there are a crapload of ways to wire speakers from an amp. You could use two 2channel amps, or one 4channel for the interiors, and wiring depends on what type of amp you have and what speakers you choose.

That being said, popping is not good, and shouldn't happen from brand new speakers running off a headunit. How often do they pop? Constantly, or just when the head unit turns on? Details, man, details!

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
I dont have the stock HU, its aftermarket panasonic... and the speakers are not hooked up to any amp, just the HU, also its not an issue with rattleing against any grills, I powered them up without the grills on, and there was nothing for them to rattle against. So none of those solutions are the solution. Any more ideas? Im starting to think that they just dont get enough power, so they might need an amp.... any more ideas

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Also the wires are not sodered, they are just twisted and electrical taped. Could that be the main problem?

burner799
11-21-2006, 06:24 PM
could be depending how shitty of a job you did. get the wiring legit and you shouldnt have problems. if you ot a panasonic headunit, i doubt you got good enough speakers to need amplification.

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 06:26 PM
They are good speakers.... did you bother even reading the list in the first post....

burner799
11-21-2006, 06:27 PM
oh they are decent.....yea not enough power could be the problem. if you spent money on new wires, whyd you twist and electrical tape them.....

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 06:28 PM
^^^ I twisted them and taped them cause I am home over my thanksgiving break, and my soddering gun back at my apt.... other side of the state. Just wanted to get them installed. So you think not enough power could be the problem then.

sandnessmj
11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by high_octaneRS-4
They are good speakers.... did you bother even reading the list in the first post....

RF's are decent, yes, but they shouldn't pop just because they might be slightly underpowered...

Speckto
11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
when you get a chance can you post a pic of your mounted HU... ive been debating on replacing the bose HU but think it might look to plain.. thanks

as for your problem im guessing all you need is an amp... go to the place you got the speakers and let them know whats happening ... if it is your speakers themselves they should replace them or fix them

sandnessmj
11-21-2006, 06:31 PM
^^^ I twisted them and taped them cause I am home over my thanksgiving break, and my soddering gun back at my apt.... other side of the state. Just wanted to get them installed. So you think not enough power could be the problem then.

I would imagine that your problem is due to the install. You're saying you didn't even use crimp on connectors? Twisting and taping them means that you could easily have a short somewhere, or that the circuit is grounding out.

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 06:33 PM
^^^ The speakers look fine, they are all brand new, so it couldnt be them... Ill get an amp and see how that sounds.

Speckto: I would post pics of the HU, but my digital camera broke a while back and havent had it replaced yet. However, I think my install looks clean. I debated that as well when replacing the BOSE, I just didnt like the BOSE system, and plus mine died so there was no debate in replacing it, lol

sandnessmj
11-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Speckto
as for your problem im guessing all you need is an amp... go to the place you got the speakers and let them know whats happening ... if it is your speakers themselves they should replace them or fix them

Adding more power won't fix it. Period. If you go to a shop and say "My speakers are popping, I think they need more power", they're going to sell you an amp or two, and maybe fix your connections, and send you on your way. That will fix the problem, but you'll spend money on amps that you may not need. Check your wiring again. Also, how is the head unit ground? You may have knocked something loose while wiring up the rear speakers...

sandnessmj
11-21-2006, 06:35 PM
^^^ The speakers look fine, they are all brand new, so it couldnt be them... Ill get an amp and see how that sounds.

I still would start with checking over your wiring. I'm sure the speakers themselves are fine, but your connections probably aren't, which is why you have popping. I'll say again - adding an amp will not fix your problem if you don't have good connections in the first place.

Speckto
11-21-2006, 06:36 PM
sorry to hear about the camera haha... do you have a lot of empty space though?? cause the only aftermarket HU ive seen made the dash just look empty and plain all around the HU

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks sandnessmj, ill just rewire them and make the connections better, then ill see if thats the fix

sandnessmj
11-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks sandnessmj, ill just rewire them and make the connections better, then ill see if thats the fix

Not sure what kind of connectors are on your speakers, but you should get some compatible connectors for your wire. I'm going to assume the speakers have blade type connectors - you can pick up the female wire ends at Radio Shack for cheap, and this will help ensure you have solid connections...it will make install and removal clean and easy, too.

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks, ill have to make a trip to radio shack tomorrow morning

klintman
11-21-2006, 06:47 PM
try finding a better ground to the chassis the head unit. get those twisted wires cleaned up like everyone else said.

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Okay guys, the problem was simple, it was the negative and possitives were hitting and making sparks... all better, just needed to tighten the speakers down with more screws. All better and the sound is perfect.

sandnessmj
11-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Okay guys, the problem was simple, it was the negative and possitives were hitting and making sparks... all better, just needed to tighten the speakers down with more screws. All better and the sound is perfect.

Glad you were able to figure it out - hopefully you fixed it before causing any permanent damage to the headunit!

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 09:40 PM
I fixed it. Its all good now. Thanks for all your help

loustylez
11-22-2006, 07:25 AM
i was going to go with not enough power as well. i put aftermarket speakers into my '96 acura 2.5TL off the stock headunit and they would pop after a certain volume. but, your aftermarket stereo should have been at least enough to power the speakers without popping... but, either way, problem is solved. good work.

now do it right next time, jackass ;)

Tgr_Clw
11-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Ummm... Stupid question... What's the point of running aftermarket speakers on a measely 4x14 amp? You could've used stockers for that.

sandnessmj
11-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Tgr_Clw
Ummm... Stupid question... What's the point of running aftermarket speakers on a measely 4x14 amp? You could've used stockers for that.

Maybe some of his were blown or he just had the urge to replace them while he was installing the headunit?