PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic K04 Owners! (K04 Questions inside!)

A4orce84
11-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey Everyone,

Been comtemplating some mods in the future for my A4, and wanted to see how many people on here are running K04's with tiptronic? I've read a lot of information on the archives, and it seems that the K04 is about the max. you can run on a stock tranny without going Level 10 or anything crazy.

While I originally thought the process was simple, K04 turbo, new GIAC chip program, maybe a FMIC, and you're good to go....I have read about people using J31? files, different injectors, and a bunch of other hardware stuff with a K04??

I don't think I can or even want to go all out with a bunch of extra stuff, but I'd like to have my A4 be a bit faster than it is now with just a chip....so that's why I ask, can someone school me on K04? Thanks!

--Asif

a4cefed
11-21-2006, 11:48 AM
what would you like to know about it. i have it on my tip and the car feels much better and all i have is the regular giac k04 chip with a 5bar fpr. what year is your car ?

sushi_turbo
11-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Well I have AWE-Tuning K04 kit with GIAC PC-16 software, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, FMIC, DV, Milltek exhaust, Eurocode 3" test pipe, and an APR snub mount. I would definitely recommend it. Don't forget about getting a Giac tip chip as well.

badassbaldie
11-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm K04ed with GIAC programming and a Tip chip. I do get an occasional "hard shift" from the tranny but I think that is more of a fluid issue than anything else. I believe a PC-16 setup or maybe the PES is about the max you can go without upgrading the tranny, at least what I've read/heard anyways...

sushi_turbo, did you experience any difference with your snub mount and the tip tranny?

A4orce84
11-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Alright, well like already I don't know what an "FPR, Fuel Pressure Regultor" is/does....do you need it for the K04? 5bar? My mindset mainly was I thought it was a plug and play system with the turbo and chip, like the K03 chip upgrade.

Is there a kit that inlcudes everything I need? Are most of you running AWE's K04 setup, or custom? Basically what all do I need to run a K04 I guess?

Oh yeah, and I drive a 99.5 A4 1.8T Quattro-bonium! =)

a4cefed
11-21-2006, 12:20 PM
what you need is the the k04 turbo, the giac k04 chip anbd a 5 bar fpr, (the stock one is a 3bar). dont buy a kit it will only cost mor emoney than you need to spend.

A4orce84
11-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Where do I buy everything? Can you not use the stock 3 bar FPI with a K04? Does that mean my MPG would most likely decrease if I upgraded to a K04 turbo?

--Asif

a4cefed
11-21-2006, 12:45 PM
you milage should stay about the same. no you can not use the 3 bar, lookin gthe classifieds, if you alread chipped by giac then you can upgrade for 200 bucks

TJHUB
11-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Here's what you do:

Call SPP (Supreme Power Parts), I've purchased 2 K04's from them for about $725.00 shipped.

Call AWE-Tuning (because they're the best) and get your GIAC chip upgraded to the K04 program for $200.00. If Mike won't do it for you for $200.00, I have others that will.

While you're on the phone with AWE, have them sell you a 5 bar FPR for $90.00. There is no such thing as a 5 bar FPR so AWE (and everyone else) modifies a 4 bar. Get it from someone you can trust.

While you're still on the phone with AWE, ask about the Tip Chip. Get it.

Go to ECS tuning and purchase their K04 upgrade kit for the turbo to manifold and turbo to cat gaskest and studs for about $40.00.

You should also get, at a minimum, a 710N diverter valve for $40.00.

That's the cheapest way to go K04. [up]

I wouldn't mess with anything like FMIC's or exhausts that really you do not need. You'll be very happy with the K04 performance and your Tip.

I wouldn't worry too much about your transmission either. It will be just fine. My belief is that the transmission will either last or not regardless of your K04 upgrade. I've seen them die on stock power and I've seen them last just fine with 300 HP at the crank. To me it's more of a crap shoot than anything. [eek]

a4cefed
11-21-2006, 01:38 PM
TJHUB - can some mod the 4bar the wrong way?

Kaytek
11-21-2006, 02:08 PM
sushi_turbo: How long have you been running the PC-16 on your car?

Cheers,

Kaytek

tontod
11-21-2006, 02:18 PM
I have a tip and the PES T-28 turbo. I've had it for a couple of months, no tranny problems as of yet. I'll probably get the valve body upgrade from levelten sometime next year.

TJHUB
11-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by r12055ma4play
TJHUB - can some mod the 4bar the wrong way?

I really don't know. My theory is if I'm buying something "modded" I want it to be from someone I can trust. [up]

What if it's not correct and your car runs lean? That wouldn't be good!

TJHUB
11-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by tontod
I have a tip and the PES T-28 turbo. I've had it for a couple of months, no tranny problems as of yet. I'll probably get the valve body upgrade from levelten sometime next year.

Sure you'll get the Level 10 upgrade...[rolleyes]

[:p]

Neo1130
11-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Asif, just peice everything together and we will have an install day... Whatever you need help with man just ask!! I would at least do the K04, test pipe and the software... Other stuff can come later... Oh yeah, and get your Borla!!

d_maniac
11-21-2006, 04:23 PM
can you get a giac chip from aw-tuning with the ko4 file already loaded???? will it be cheaper?

o and how much is the tip chip???

bitterchild
11-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by TJHUB

While you're on the phone with AWE, have them sell you a 5 bar FPR for $90.00. There is no such thing as a 5 bar FPR so AWE (and everyone else) modifies a 4 bar. Get it from someone you can trust.

You should also get, at a minimum, a 710N diverter valve for $40.00.

5bar can be had for around 60 and 710n for 30

TJHUB
11-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
5bar can be had for around 60 and 710n for 30

Or do what Tony says. [up]

tontod
11-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Sure you'll get the Level 10 upgrade...[rolleyes]

[:p]

I will, spent too much money recently. I just got the stasis suspension from the GB recently. Need to save up some for the holidays.

Suhail
11-21-2006, 06:04 PM
What suggestions do you guys have for a guy with an automatic that isn't tiptronic. As well as a chip thats been soldered to the ECU?

TJHUB
11-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by tontod
I will, spent too much money recently. I just got the stasis suspension from the GB recently. Need to save up some for the holidays.

I'm just kiddin' with you. I know the valve body upgrade has been on your mind for a looong time. That's all. [:D]

A4orce84
11-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Everyone thank you for all the helpful posts so far, I really appreciate it. This is still a few months away...I probably won't really consider buying everything until summer, I just wanted to kind of do my homework.

I just spent money on rims and tires, so I'm a lil poor now also! But I've got a few more questions for everybody, so here we go!

1. Is an exhaust reguired? I always thought with the "bigger turbos" an exhaust was needed for proper breathing? Either way I was probably going to get a Borla at some pooint, is 2.25in Borla big enogh?

2. So are the J31 and PC-16's different K04 files for a chip? Still not sure on that one...looking at AWE's website it says, "247hp with PC16 package"..is that true almost 250HP just for K04?

3. Tiptronic owners were you able to really feel a difference going from chipped 1.8T to K04?

4. Tip chip really necessary? From what I read, the Tip-chip ONLY works when you are in tiptronic mode, and not when you leave the car in D. It's been on my list of mods, but for a person like me who drives 75% automatic, 25% tiptronic mode....I didn't realy see any rush to go and buy it.

This car is my daily driver, so I personally would not feel comfortable going with anything bigger than a K04. While I agree wtih TJHUB if a tranny is meant to go it'll go, I don't want to push my luck too much. I have seen a number of people blow their tranny's on the bigger turbos (PES-T28) and would rather just play it safe and go with something reliable and not that I have to worry about tweaking settings or mess with it all the time.

Finally my last question is what is the deal with all the people with K04's changing out injectors, having a FMIC, etc then if it is not necessary? Thanks again everyone!

--Asif

a4cefed
11-22-2006, 09:42 AM
1 - the borla will be fine for the k04(i have a stock exhaust and its fine)
2- yes they are a different chip. with your year you can only run the pc-16 or regular k04 file. the 2 you listed need a set of injectors , fmic , and fpr. the regular file does not need these. how ever the fmic will help. if you add the injectors to this setup you need the pc-16 file or the car will not run right
3- yes it is a world of difference
4- no you do not need it, it only works in tip mod, so if you dont use tip much dont bother getting it.
as for the last question, look at answer 2

trailertravis13
11-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Terry and Tony in the same thread? This is like my K04 install all over again minus frying my ECU like a retard.

Terry how's the B7 treating you? Your K04 is still running strong as when I put it in, already got about 15k miles on it. I am thinking about selling my car though. I wanna get a B5 S4 especially now that I bought a beater plus Autospeed Performance isn't far from my house and they have really been starting to put out some serious stuff for the B5 S4s

d_maniac
11-22-2006, 03:39 PM
can you have a pc-16 file with just fpr and injectors?? (no fmic)

where is the best place to get the injectors from???

a4cefed
11-22-2006, 04:10 PM
you can if its cold out but once it gets warm out you really should get a fmic.

TJHUB
11-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by trailertravis13
Terry and Tony in the same thread? This is like my K04 install all over again minus frying my ECU like a retard.

Terry how's the B7 treating you? Your K04 is still running strong as when I put it in, already got about 15k miles on it. I am thinking about selling my car though. I wanna get a B5 S4 especially now that I bought a beater plus Autospeed Performance isn't far from my house and they have really been starting to put out some serious stuff for the B5 S4s

Hey Travis! It's been a while. I'm glad your car is working well. My old B5 is running well now too although the car has now developed a boost leak. [rolleyes]

The B7 is an amazing car. It's VERY refined feeling. Audi did a fantastic job. The power is ok, at least acceptable and with a 6-speed there is a completely different sensation of speed. I miss the Tip sometimes though. It's not always great to have to ram gears. I'm in the process of modding the stereo, should be awesome when I'm done. [:D]

If you can, get the S4! [s4]

TJHUB
11-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by A4orce84
Everyone thank you for all the helpful posts so far, I really appreciate it. This is still a few months away...I probably won't really consider buying everything until summer, I just wanted to kind of do my homework.

I just spent money on rims and tires, so I'm a lil poor now also! But I've got a few more questions for everybody, so here we go!

1. Is an exhaust reguired? I always thought with the "bigger turbos" an exhaust was needed for proper breathing? Either way I was probably going to get a Borla at some pooint, is 2.25in Borla big enogh?

2. So are the J31 and PC-16's different K04 files for a chip? Still not sure on that one...looking at AWE's website it says, "247hp with PC16 package"..is that true almost 250HP just for K04?

3. Tiptronic owners were you able to really feel a difference going from chipped 1.8T to K04?

4. Tip chip really necessary? From what I read, the Tip-chip ONLY works when you are in tiptronic mode, and not when you leave the car in D. It's been on my list of mods, but for a person like me who drives 75% automatic, 25% tiptronic mode....I didn't realy see any rush to go and buy it.

This car is my daily driver, so I personally would not feel comfortable going with anything bigger than a K04. While I agree wtih TJHUB if a tranny is meant to go it'll go, I don't want to push my luck too much. I have seen a number of people blow their tranny's on the bigger turbos (PES-T28) and would rather just play it safe and go with something reliable and not that I have to worry about tweaking settings or mess with it all the time.

Finally my last question is what is the deal with all the people with K04's changing out injectors, having a FMIC, etc then if it is not necessary? Thanks again everyone!

--Asif

Here are my VERY opinionated thoughts:

1. Don't fall for the exhaust BS that's all over these forums. Get an exhaust if and only if you go BT or want something LOUD. If you want bang for the buck, the ONLY answer is a test pipe. Also, an exhaust without a test pipe is pretty much a waste. The stock cat is by far the most restricting component of the exhaust system.

2, 3, and 4 were answered well by r12055ma4play. [up]

Your last question is not really correct. People aren't changing injectors and adding FMIC's when it's not necessary. The PC-16 file needs larger injectors and an adjustable FPR to dial in the proper fueling for the car. This file is very aggressive and maxes out the timing for the car with the K04. Because of this, it also requires an FMIC to keep intake air temps down to prevent pre-ignition ultimately causing engine damage.

a4cefed
11-22-2006, 07:37 PM
TJHUB- you really thin an exhaust is useless on with a k04 ?
i was thinking about buying one but if its not gonna add any performance then i cant see spending 700 bucks.

A4orce84
11-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks TJHUB and R12055ma4play....TJHUB what file are you referring to when you told me your "track" to a K04 without using injectors and FMIC? I'm still not entirely clear on what K04 program I can use?

Can I use either one on my 99.5? What's the main differences between J31 and PC-16? Just that PC is more agressive? Thanks.

-Asif

a4cefed
11-22-2006, 07:58 PM
pc-16 is for 97-99.5 cars
j-31 is for 00-01 cars
they are both more agressive versions of the k04 software.

you can run the pc-16

RudeBwoi
11-22-2006, 08:15 PM
pc-16 is for 97-99.5 cars
j-31 is for 00-01 cars
they are both more agressive versions of the k04 software.

you can run the pc-16

J-31 is MY 2000 only
FX Hammer file is 2001

TJHUB
11-22-2006, 08:34 PM
TJHUB- you really thin an exhaust is useless on with a k04 ?
i was thinking about buying one but if its not gonna add any performance then i cant see spending 700 bucks.

I really do, but there is a lot of guys on this forum that'll tell you I'm full of crap. [eek]

I purchased and installed a Borla V2 and HATED it. Loud, droned, and moved around a lot from cold to hot. Just not my thing. I sold it. However, I got very used to the nice exhaust tips on the Borla. So when I re-installed my stock exhaust, I purchased a Magnaflow muffler #14862. Looks perfect and sounds perfect. The car is only slightly louder than stock from inside the car, NO DRONING of any kind, and from outside the car it has a beautiful growl. Like I said...perfect.

I felt no performance improvement with the exhaust. I attribute that to the stock cat. It's the same thing with the B7's. One of our forum members on AW dyno tested the addition of a chip (flash), cold air intake, exhaust, and finally the APR K04 kit. He saw almost zero gains from the exhaust and cold air intake yet many guys purchase them thinking they're making performance gains. What really works on the B7's is a test pipe. BIG gains with the stock exhaust = 30-40 HP with a flash. Granted the B7 2.0T is different than the 1.8T in the B5's.

Also when I was talking to PES, they pointed out that their dyno testing for the T-28 kit yeilded about 10 HP with an exhaust and almost no gain with a high-flow cat. And the T-28 kit I ran was pushing 24 psi.

I believe the test pipe is the way to go and get the Magnaflow for looks and a little sound. I personally wouldn't run a test pipe, but I wouldn't tell anyone else not to.

Again, this has been debated far too many times. It's just my opinion and experience. I wouldn't do an exhaust unless I was going BT.

TJHUB
11-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by A4orce84
Thanks TJHUB and R12055ma4play....TJHUB what file are you referring to when you told me your "track" to a K04 without using injectors and FMIC? I'm still not entirely clear on what K04 program I can use?

Can I use either one on my 99.5? What's the main differences between J31 and PC-16? Just that PC is more agressive? Thanks.

-Asif

I'm sorry, but what? [confused]

I think everything has been answered for you. It's time to save money and get ready for spring. [wrench]

a4cefed
11-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by RudeBwoi
J-31 is MY 2000 only
FX Hammer file is 2001

thanks for clearing that up.
there is alot of good info in this thread, should help anyone that does a search in the future

A4orce84
11-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm sorry, but what? [confused]

I think everything has been answered for you. It's time to save money and get ready for spring. [wrench]

In your "here's what to do" post, you posted up the steps to using a K04 without having injectors or a FMIC using the PC-16 file. But later you posted again stating, "Your last question is not really correct. People aren't changing injectors and adding FMIC's when it's not necessary. The PC-16 file needs larger injectors and an adjustable FPR to dial in the proper fueling for the car. This file is very aggressive and maxes out the timing for the car with the K04. Because of this, it also requires an FMIC to keep intake air temps down to prevent pre-ignition ultimately causing engine damage."

So that's where I am confused, I'm not sure...are you saying you do NEED the FMIC and injectors with the PC-16 then? Thanks.

--Asif

a4cefed
11-23-2006, 11:35 AM
yes you NEED a fmic, injectors, and a fpr with the pc-16

tunerb5
11-23-2006, 02:46 PM
I've had mine for about 20k miles now and running great! I also have just about every supporting mod so the car is quite quick for a Tip. I just need to get a TipChip....would deff recomend it!

d_maniac
11-23-2006, 05:07 PM
tunerb5, you have a fmic????

11-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by tunerb5
I've had mine for about 20k miles now and running great! I also have just about every supporting mod so the car is quite quick for a Tip. I just need to get a TipChip....would deff recomend it!

Hey tunerb5, how's the tranny holding? Have you been to a track? Any trap speed?
Thanks.

A4orce84
11-29-2006, 09:00 AM
bumpity bump!

SuleiUte
12-03-2006, 11:29 PM
What if you have an APR chip instead of the GIAC chip? Can I just get a different file for a K04 or do I have to go GIAC?

a4cefed
12-04-2006, 10:08 AM
you need giac and and you need to search

SchnellB5
12-04-2006, 10:22 AM
I have a friend running a 2.0L with a t28, but now he's putting a gt35R on it with all stock tip. WE all have a pool going to see when it blows up though :) a k04 will be fine on it.

A4orce84
02-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Thought I'd bump my original post and ask another question:

Is a tip-chip really needed for a K04 PC-16 upgrade? I always thought the Tip chip is just for faster shifting in tip mode, and does nothing when the car is in 'drive.' Thoughts?

-Asif