PDA

View Full Version : Strut Tower Braces

Diesel_A4
11-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Anyone have a comparison from the LLtek one as opposed to the PureMS one?! Looking to get one but not sure which one to get, pretty much the same price but does anyone have any opinions on them?!

thanks

bitterchild
11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
purems is an oem design that has more mounting mounts. lltek one only has 2.

that said i have the lltek b/c the purems did not fit plain and simple. the lltek has to be removed to access the ecu. it also interferes w/ the 2nd firewall/battery covers on the late model b5's. 00+ i think.

Starting
11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
i agree with everything bitter said. i have an lltek. didn't really notice a difference after installing it.

onemoremile
11-20-2006, 05:44 PM
I have the PureMS bar and it works perfectly. That is to say that I don't notice it in any way. I did immediately notice that the cowl flex when entering my sloped driveway was gone completely. It would kind of bounce around and get a little flexy before. Now the front wheels seem to stay planted and the drama is gone.

The PureMS bar is a slightly modified OE piece and fit both with my huuuge A8 battery and the Optima 34R that is in there now.

A4Rob
11-20-2006, 07:52 PM
haha tons of these are on eBay. Anyone have one of those???? :-P

ExpLlclT
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
we alrdy have a double firewal don't we kind of a pointles upgrae correct me if im wrong ?

sean1.8t
11-20-2006, 08:13 PM
the first firewall isn't high in strength and it still warps and bends under stress. some later models/sport A4s/S4s have a little bar just like the purems one right behind it, just in front of the battery and such.. so from my understanding, some need it. some don't

bass_lover1
11-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by ExpLlclT
we alrdy have a double firewal don't we kind of a pointles upgrae correct me if im wrong ?

I've heard stories of lowered A4s/Passats having welds crack on the second firewall crack due to stress of the stiffer suspension.

I have a strut bar on my Passat thats made by a guy over on the PW forums, it's a 4 point bar and since I'm on the stock suspension (minus a lower tie bar) I noticed an improvement by adding it. The improvement wasn't dramatic but it was definitely there, the nose seemed stiffer and steering was improved along w/ cornering, IMO anyway, to each their own.

onemoremile
11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
A few of those firewalls have separated from the body. Probably due to running sticky tires and other things the car was never designed to do.

I searched the main forums and couldn't find any pics of a separated firewall. I have seen them before but it was quite a while ago.

AW link mentioning the problem (http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2549768.phtml)

ModifiedA4
11-21-2006, 10:33 AM
fwiw, ive seen in person the firewall crack on at least two different A4s, both with modified suspensions. it happens.

sean1.8t
11-21-2006, 03:45 PM
so is there a way to prevent this? because from what i read on the AW link Ray had a tower brace on and it still cracked/separeted. or was that his stock one?

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by A4Rob

2nd that..... has anyone ever tried one of those?

smoothie
11-21-2006, 04:17 PM
find some one with a welder possibly tubing bender and make one.. it's your best bet i would guess if you can pin point where all the stress is then you can increase rigidity and add support to those areas. also then you will be uniqe! kool man! jk.... please no flame :(

klintman
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
i have the llkek one. felt a difference right away. was surprised . more rattles from the windows and sunroof when cracked. so i know for sure it cured some chassis twist.

onemoremile
11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
If I had a welder I'd just seam weld the firewall in. Or get really fancy and have a thicker sheet laser or water cut into a boxed X shape that mimics the original. Really at that point it is worth just replacing the original with the thicker one. Damn, see how things spiral out of hand? Maybe this is why my wife has me on tool probation...

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
^^^^ haha, tool probation, damn that sucks. lol

tkarwin
11-21-2006, 06:46 PM
I have the PureMS one and I like it. Made a difference. Fewer squeaks and rattles etc. More solid feel. Good mod. fit perfectly. that is all.

klintman
11-21-2006, 07:02 PM
meant to say less rattles... arugh no post when drinky whiskey. man law???

onemoremile
11-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Man law.

Mine stopped creaking when pulling into the driveway. There is a halfway through pulling in that twists the snot out of the car. When it was on coilovers it would pull on of the rears just high enough to chirp it. One day I stopped right at that point and rocked the car back and forth. The rear was 2" in the air. The car hasn't creaked or groaned since I put that bar in.

EnjoyIncs
11-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by A4Rob

I guess no one has. I wanted to get one but they seem kind of cheap. Also I don’t like the fact that you have to loose the big cover over the battery and such. It looks a lot cleaner with the cover on. I was thinking maybe there would be a way to cut two holes in the cover and have the bar stick out over it. I think that would look cool.