PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Paint Question

AudiDude007
11-19-2006, 03:31 PM
so i'm repainting my front bumper over thanksgiving break. i'm pretty sure i have everything i need,including 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper as my finishing but i need something a little heavier to get the paint chips out. any suggestions from experieince? ( i searched but couldn't find any listing exact grits to use).

GraysonF
11-19-2006, 03:56 PM
im not a painting expert, but depending on how deep the paint chips are, id suggest using a little bondo action.

Lazer Viking
11-19-2006, 04:18 PM
yep, or some polyester filler, its smoother and lighter and resists cracking better then bondo

sean1.8t
11-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by pacman
yep, or some polyester filler, its smoother and lighter and resists cracking better then bondo

what he said^^.. and remember, less is better

Starting
11-19-2006, 05:16 PM
what type of painting are you planning on doing? spray paint or actual automotive paint?

AudiDude007
11-20-2006, 05:58 PM
i guess " chips" was slightly misleading. it's more like paint peel from a shitty paint job ( not me, the previous owner) the paint guy said filler wouldn't be necessary after a few different grits, and sandable primer.

its autopaint, from an autopaint shop. it's an 8:1:1 mix ratio of paint, thinner, and hardener. once mixed you just put it into a glass preval canister with a pressrized cartridge. as long as i don't EF it up , i'll post before and after pics.haha

Poopie
11-20-2006, 06:00 PM
woah, that sounds complicated. Basically an aerosol can?

Starting
11-20-2006, 06:37 PM
the pressurized cartridge setup sounds interesting. 600 grit is about as high as I would go before you apply paint. Are you applying a sealer or primer first. I am not new to painting so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

AudiDude007
11-20-2006, 06:59 PM
yeah 600 is going to be my last grit before paint. i'm using a sandable primer. the paint is JE Shop Line - acrylic enamel (Black) here is the preval sprayer i'm going to use. Starting..i may be in touch...thanks
My dad used the same setup for my gram's car and it came out perfect. the sanding will be the most tedious part. good thing i don't have school for a week

Preval Sprayer (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2155&familyName=Preval+Sprayers&history=cun6xbac%7Cother%7CfreeText%7Epreval%2Bspr ayer%5Eengine%7Eadwords%25216456%5Ekeyword%7Epreva l%2Bsprayer%5Ematch_type%7E%5Epage%7EGRID)

Poopie
11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
wow those are interesting....So would you just mix the paint as directed on the product sheet, fill that bottle and spray? I have a bunch of paint I bought and never used. Maybe I can make touch up bottles for myself when i need it for smaller jobs.

Starting
11-20-2006, 08:13 PM
audidude the sprayer looks cool but I sorta have my doubts. If you have seen it used succesfully before then more power to you. It doesn't seem like it would atomize the paint as it should.

AudiDude007
11-20-2006, 08:49 PM
my reasoning.....i've seen it used before, and it came out perfect..its my stock bumper, and right now it looks like hell....i paid $50 for everything...not too worried, especially since my friends cousin does paint work at a dealership. i can get my front and back bumper, including front and back valances done for about $300.....just thought i'd give this a shot before winter. it's really an eye sore

Lazer Viking
11-20-2006, 08:55 PM
i would have waited till after winter...that road salt is going to reak havok on fresh paint

b00st
11-20-2006, 09:35 PM
where is the flex added in this paint mixture...you said your painting your bumper. you need flex in there.

victorvu
11-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by AudiDude007
my reasoning.....i've seen it used before, and it came out perfect..its my stock bumper, and right now it looks like hell....i paid $50 for everything...not too worried, especially since my friends cousin does paint work at a dealership. i can get my front and back bumper, including front and back valances done for about $300.....just thought i'd give this a shot before winter. it's really an eye sore

I agree^ if it works and he learns how to do it, the better it is for him. He can maybe write up a DIY and help us save money just as he will.

SoFresh
11-21-2006, 11:47 AM
I would suggest taking more time and just sand it down. Paint will stick better then trying to paint over chipping paint...

AudiDude007
11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
haha of course i'm going to sand it down ( as mentioned in my first few posts)....and clean it and prime it and sand it and prime it and sand it again....and clean it..and than paint it.

anyway....what is a good solvent to use before priming and before painting ( to clean any last dirt and grease particals)? someone mentioned prepsol to me...anyone use this, or something similar?