PDA

View Full Version : clunk, bang noise! (STILL) opinions wanted

snoop
11-19-2006, 12:04 PM
ok people, heres the situation. ive had this clunk bang knock noise coming from the osf when traveling at low speed, say 10 mph brake and then when i let off the brake then the clunk bang knock noise happens, it def feels like something loose like the caliper, but its 100% not the brake caliper or the pads. all control arms and drop links have been replaced so that rules them out. im kinda stumped as i had two top class lotus car tech's look at it today! me and me mate. =) have pried on all balljoints and bushings with my trusty bar. any help/opinions more than welcome.
Dan

[confused]

Starting
11-19-2006, 12:17 PM
try lubing the caliper slide bolts? just an idea i'm throwing out there.

snoop
11-19-2006, 12:37 PM
funny you mention, i did think about doing that earlier when i had the caliper off, they are pretty dry. i will give that a go. but to be honest i dont think that is the prob, i hope it is as it will be free. more [wrench] and more $$ prob.
thanks starting. [up]

onemoremile
11-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Brake caliper stiffening kits

http://tyrolsport.com/audiperformance.htm

snoop
11-19-2006, 12:44 PM
should also mention only happens going foward not in reverse. i just cant get my head around it, and cant fix the bloody thing as i cant find the problem.

Kaytek
11-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Only thing I can suggest is removing the front pads and bending out the metal clips on the back of pad attached to the piston. I had an issue where there was a terrible rattling noise when not driving over smooth roads. Applying the brakes stopped the noise.

But you mentioned that you're sure it's not loose pads so... [confused]

Cheers,

Kaytek

snoop
11-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by onemoremile
Brake caliper stiffening kits

http://tyrolsport.com/audiperformance.htm

thanks onemoremile, looking at that pic, i think maybe the rubber bushes could be worn, perhaps causing the caliper flex and the bang. i think im going to play swap the brake pad also, and see if the noise swaps sides.

smoothie
11-19-2006, 02:49 PM
ay karamba! i had this problem on a previous car of mine but that was just the result of improper ofset of the rim, which some washers fixed... i have this on my audi too just like snoop describes it. that whole brake stiffening kit looks like it could do the trick... kind of expensive though... just for a couple of pieces of stainless and some snap rings??

snoop
12-21-2006, 06:05 AM
ok, finally i have had my car fixed, it was the rear lower control arm on the drivers side, ball joint is proper fooked, got a new arm for £30 and had a guy who used to work with me fit it for £20. bargain me thinks as it -2 here and i hate changing that rear arm, having to drop that mo fo subframe. anyway enough dribble now the car drives great again.