PDA

View Full Version : How long would a Southbend Stage 3 or 4 clutch last?

Neo1130
11-19-2006, 07:46 AM
With just normal everyday driving and a few weekend drag races... Would they last just as long as the stock one if driven the same? I just don't want to keep changing the clutch out every 2 years or anything...

k0mpresd
11-19-2006, 07:55 AM
clutch life is totally dependent on the driver

mike-2ptzero
11-19-2006, 07:56 AM
A high peformance clutch tends to have a shorter life.

onemoremile
11-19-2006, 11:21 AM
It depends on the friction material and the style of clutch. A puck style clutch has much less friction material and more pressure per square inch of material. Therefore, it wears out more quickly.

A high performance clutch should be able to last nearly the life of the vehicle but it depends entirely on how it is driven. The RS4 clutch in the S4 has over 100k miles and still feels like new. If I was to hold it at the friction point and rev it a few times it would overheat and be rendered unusable. With proper care it is good for another hundred k.

The clutch in my Jetta VR6 wasn't replaced until about 275k miles. It was a daily driver that served autocross and track day duty.

The big enemy of a clutch (especially an organic lining like the SouthBend) is heat. If you overheat it (caused by slipping) the clutch disk and pressure plate and pretty much toast.