PDA

View Full Version : EvoMS dv installed - why cant i hear it??

tamadrumr88
11-17-2006, 09:11 AM
i recently bought my '98.5 a4 1.8t quattro (75k miles) and i immediately replaced the plugs, cleaned the k&n filter that was already on it, had the timing belt/water pump/tensioner/t-stat/belts/coolant/etc/etc

i already know that the stock airbox tends to be the weapon of choice for intakes on the 1.8t but i wanted it just a tad louder so i smoothed the inside of the airbox and drilled a few holes

installed the evoms dv in about 30mins, then i performed the tennis-ball boost leak test and i didnt come across any problems

the turbo spool is much louder now but i dont hear the "pssh" like my brother's 2001 1.8t gti does (same dv, both have the vacuum line connected).... if i apply light throttle and i approach ~3k rpm i hear a honking noise (not like the "honk" from the crapped out stock dv, but a different honk) but no turbo spool noise

any ideas???? i have the usb VAG-com coming today so ill run a few tests with that and post my results

GraysonF
11-17-2006, 11:21 AM
your brothers gti and yours are different. he has a 2001, so he is running more boost. you arent chipped are you? your not running enough boost to be able to hear your dv. 6-7lbs wont do it...

tamadrumr88
11-17-2006, 11:36 AM
no im not chipped, and as far i as i remember he had the AWW which was 150hp/162lb-ft tq

iin10ded
11-17-2006, 11:40 AM
it's a DIVERTER valve, not a BLOW OFF valve - it redirects the vented air back into the intake not to the atmosphere, thereby all but eliminating the [imo, silly] 'PSSSSSSSSSSSSHT' that ricers so love. the BOV's work with many jap FI systems but will throw the VAG systems into fits.

but remember; stealth = cool.

arizona steve
11-17-2006, 11:42 AM
you'll hear some stuff if your chipped.

i have the evoms DV along with their intake and chip (and exhaust) and you can hear it all come together. get yourself a chip

mike-2ptzero
11-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Did you install the EVOms dv so that the bottom is connected to the IC(turbo outlet side) and the side is conneced to the return(turbo inlet side)?

ActiveMonkey
11-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by iin10ded
it's a DIVERTER valve, not a BLOW OFF valve - it redirects the vented air back into the intake not to the atmosphere, thereby all but eliminating the [imo, silly] 'PSSSSSSSSSSSSHT' that ricers so love.

I have the EVOMs Diverter valve and it's loud as hell. Almost as loud at my friends SRT-4 and his Greddy Type-s bov. I am Chipped so i am sure that helps out a little bit, but you should still be able to hear it.

Chard
11-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Ah, when you PMed me, I didn't know you weren't chipped. The lack of extra boost is probably making it less audible as well.

AHB900
11-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Well you should get chipped and youll hear it. IF you dont get an after market intake trust me youll hear it alot.. i got the forge 007 DV with evoms intake and neuspeed chip and my cars pretty damn loud people tell me they hear my turbos spoolin from blocks away... lol

iin10ded
11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
im k04 and giac and i dont hear a thing with my turboxs. but i like it that way.

sean1.8t
11-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by iin10ded
im k04 and giac and i dont hear a thing with my turboxs. but i like it that way.

i prefer it that way too. well sometimes i like to hear it

tamadrumr88
11-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
Did you install the EVOms dv so that the bottom is connected to the IC(turbo outlet side) and the side is conneced to the return(turbo inlet side)?

i replaced it in the same orientation as the stock dv was positioned.... was that correct or no?

petery18t
11-18-2006, 10:21 AM
If you don't have an aftermarket intake, and atleast a chip you are not going to hear it.

I did the same stock airbox mod and with my upgraded divertor value installed I still didn't hear anything even when chipped.

After I installed an intake, I can clearly hear it now.

mike-2ptzero
11-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by tamadrumr88
i replaced it in the same orientation as the stock dv was positioned.... was that correct or no?

Thats hard to say because Audi installed the stock BPV both ways. Just make sure the Evoms bpv has the inlet on the bottom going to your IC pipe where the boost pressure is at.

tamadrumr88
11-18-2006, 01:08 PM
can anyone get me correct pics??? this is my first turbocharged car so all of the additional piping is somewhat new to me.... the only thing i can say for sure is that the recirculating vacuum line is parallel to the ground facing the passenger side of the engine bay, the bottom of the dv is parallel to the ground facing the driver side of the engine bay, and what id consider to be the side of the dv is point directly downward into the ic piping

does that help?

mike-2ptzero
11-18-2006, 01:51 PM
can anyone get me correct pics??? this is my first turbocharged car so all of the additional piping is somewhat new to me.... the only thing i can say for sure is that the recirculating vacuum line is parallel to the ground facing the passenger side of the engine bay, the bottom of the dv is parallel to the ground facing the driver side of the engine bay, and what id consider to be the side of the dv is point directly downward into the ic piping

does that help?

That would be the correct way to install the stock bosch valve which has a diaphram inside, the EVOms valve has a metal piston which works best when installed with the boost hitting the bottom of the piston which means you want the bottom of the bpv facing down, vac line facing upward and the side facing toward the side.

tamadrumr88
12-01-2006, 05:26 AM
okay so i reversed the position of the dv, and i have installed the apr chip now. it hauls!! turbo spool is alot louder now but i still dont hear the dv like in my brothers '01 GTI 1.8t (he only has baileys dv and drilled airbox... i have drilled airbox, EvoMS dv, apr ecu)

anyone think its a good idea to hook up a boost gauge? im not 100% impressed with the apr chip (i know its only 14psi but i was expecting alot more [:(] )

Ertman
12-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Boost guage is a must with a chipped car. APR should make between 14-16.

b00st
12-01-2006, 09:15 AM
i have an EVOMS DV...since stock. didn't make much noise. but you really only hit like 9-11psi give or take your elavation stock. if you wanna hear it spool up more...get a chip and the EVOMS CAI. if you wanna make all the noises.

b00st
12-01-2006, 09:19 AM
it should be installed with the vac line facing the bottom. so hold it upside down and the try fitting it in. it can only go one way. when installing it and your underneath the car...you should be looking at the top of the DV...its at a slight angle but you should be looking at it none the less.

Militant-Grunt
12-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Mine stock is really loud but I think thats mainly because of the carbonio intake.

bass_lover1
12-01-2006, 11:47 AM
okay so i reversed the position of the dv, and i have installed the apr chip now. it hauls!! turbo spool is alot louder now but i still dont hear the dv like in my brothers '01 GTI 1.8t (he only has baileys dv and drilled airbox... i have drilled airbox, EvoMS dv, apr ecu)

anyone think its a good idea to hook up a boost gauge? im not 100% impressed with the apr chip (i know its only 14psi but i was expecting alot more [:(] )

I didn't get a noise from my DV (710N at the time) untill I put in an Evoms intake, then I could hear it pretty well. Now I have a hyperboost and the sound is very apparent, I love the sound its very deep, more of like a.... khhhhhhhhhh sound.

You may have a vacuum leak somewhere going from stock boost to 1Bar should make a huge difference. I noticed an improvement when I used an MBC to go from 7 to 11lbs, you should easily see a difference.

tamadrumr88
12-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by b00st
i have an EVOMS DV...since stock. didn't make much noise. but you really only hit like 9-11psi give or take your elavation stock. if you wanna hear it spool up more...get a chip and the EVOMS CAI. if you wanna make all the noises.

did you read the part where i AM chipped courtesy of APR? i can already hear it spool, very clearly. im beginning to wonder if you even read my post

Originally posted by b00st
it should be installed with the vac line facing the bottom. so hold it upside down and the try fitting it in. it can only go one way. when installing it and your underneath the car...you should be looking at the top of the DV...its at a slight angle but you should be looking at it none the less.

it cant be installed that way [confused] ? theres only two possible positions, and thats not one of them (its kinda "T"-shaped with one of the top sides of the "T" being the vac line). my stock dv had the vac line pointed straight up... like a sideways T. i was told to position the evoms dv the other way, which is to have the vac line shoot off towards the passenger side, so now the dv looks like a "T" "right side up"... there is only two ways to install it. [confused]

Poopie
12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
You should get a boost gauge. Where in the lehigh valley are you?

tamadrumr88
12-01-2006, 03:43 PM
heres what the engine looks like:
http://dv.mistertam.com/img/11.jpg

my stock dv was actually positioned the other way, with the vacuum line pointed straight up.... i was told to position the evoms dv with the vacuum line pointed to the passenger side of the vehicle

VMRWheels
12-01-2006, 03:48 PM
no boost = no sound.
stock intake = silenced intake = no sound

Poopie
12-01-2006, 03:52 PM
hhmmmt that is not how mine is positioned....is mine wrong?

Poopie
12-01-2006, 03:59 PM
I looked at AWE and yes, the vac nippe should face the passenger side. No one I can't hold boost well. DAMNIT

JMG
12-01-2006, 04:51 PM
I can hear my Baily DV with stock exhaust, K&M filter and GIAC 1.2bar chip. Its not loud at all, but if I'm building enough boost with a hard launch it will whooosh.

tamadrumr88
12-01-2006, 04:58 PM
^^^ thats what im getting at. my brothers gti had a drilled airbox and bailey dv and thats it, no chip. meanwhile im apr chipped, drilled airbox, and k&n. i can only hear the turbo spool and even at that its faint (relatively speaking compared to his AWW). my brother's gti was ungodly loud both with spooling and shifting. you guys keep telling me with a stock airbox i wont hear anything, then explain why, if my airbox has just as many holes as my brother's AWW gti, why his is considerably louder

Poopie
12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Could be different turbos too. I have a k04 and its quite loud. I also just re-installed my baileys and i'm holding boost (20 psi) just fine again. I feel stupid for running it wrong for 1.5 years.

b00st
12-01-2006, 09:40 PM
did you read the part where i AM chipped courtesy of APR? i can already hear it spool, very clearly. im beginning to wonder if you even read my post

it cant be installed that way [confused] ? theres only two possible positions, and thats not one of them (its kinda "T"-shaped with one of the top sides of the "T" being the vac line). my stock dv had the vac line pointed straight up... like a sideways T. i was told to position the evoms dv the other way, which is to have the vac line shoot off towards the passenger side, so now the dv looks like a "T" "right side up"... there is only two ways to install it. [confused]

i skimmed....sue me for missing the APR chip.

i forgot to take into account my IC pipes from the EVOMS FMIC. my DV is reposition...but you can see from the pic someone posted how its supposed to be....if it looks like that...thats what you get.

how bout a boost gauge and see what your boosting at. a CAI of some sort is really the only way to "GET THE NOISE" your really looking for without getting a forge 004 or hybrid dv/bov.

if you had a boost gauge and installed it backwards...you wouldn't make much boost. when you install it the right way...you'll hit your mark. simple as that. if you don't hear it...you don't hear it.