PDA

View Full Version : Potential buyer. are 99-01 A4 reliable cars?

eska
11-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi guys. I'm currently a s2000 owner but unfortunately parting with it after this winter due to personal circumstances. I'm in the market with $8000-10000 budget right now. At first I was considering Volvo s80 (Link for those who dont know s80 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-VOLVO-S80-T6-LOADED-MICHIGAN-DEALER-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ190051108462QQihZ009QQcategoryZ64 63QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)) but after some research I have found out 99-01 models have some cursed reliability problems.

So, here i am looking at 99-01 A4s for the upcoming summer. I really like the car and wanna know ur unbiased [:)] opinions on it. Are 99-01 models reliable and easy to maintain?

and which year is better and why?

SeKKeY
11-16-2006, 11:36 PM
01 has dbw, vvt, and 170hp stock. pretty much a b6 engine in a b5 body. these cars are kind of getting old now, which means youll run into some stupid problems like vac lines, and a check engine light for weird stuff. although if youre going to get a 2.8, theyre MUCH more reliable. someone else will probably chime in that knows more about b5's than i do though.

turbo944s2
11-16-2006, 11:36 PM
I had my 2000 a4 quattro for almost 4 years. Its been pretty good to me. Not honda good but definately better than any american cars I had. Hmm if you do all the work on it yourself it shouldnt hit your pockets to much , but if you are the kind of person that has to go to a dealer all the time , make sure you bring a large jar of vaseline! Naw its not that bad, I replaced the control arms, maf, secondary air pump, clutch, central locking pump and I have put at least 70,000 miles on it. Get a quattro if you can cause its great in the winter. Stick shift, and 1.8t if you plan to mod. Depending what you want to do to it get a 99.5 or a 2001. Seems like if you have a 2000 your on your own.

eska
11-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by SeKKeY
01 has dbw, vvt, and 170hp stock. pretty much a b6 engine in a b5 body. these cars are kind of getting old now, which means youll run into some stupid problems like vac lines, and a check engine light for weird stuff. although if youre going to get a 2.8, theyre MUCH more reliable. someone else will probably chime in that knows more about b5's than i do though.

in what aspects, is 2.8 much more reliable?

eska
11-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by turbo944s2
I had my 2000 a4 quattro for almost 4 years. Its been pretty good to me. Not honda good but definately better than any american cars I had.

lol. u make me wanna buy a honda now. My original interest was in 2000 Accord v6 Coupe

quickglx
11-17-2006, 05:02 AM
A 2.8 has no turbo or sludge issues... You'll be fine w/ a 1.8 as long as you can verify the oil changes were kept up, then they are just as reliable. If you plan on keeping it stock a 2.8 is a better bet. drive them both....

SoFresh
11-17-2006, 11:30 AM
They are nice cars, however a money pit. From either spending money to repair it or to attempt to make it faster. I love my A4, and Ill keep it forever, but id never buy one again.

GraysonF
11-17-2006, 11:35 AM
like others have said, get the 1.8t if you plan on modding, and if you plan on modding BIG then the 99.5 has the best engine because the internals can hold (IIRC) around 400ish hp. definatly quattro. definatly 5sp. end of story.

ps dont worry about mileage as well. as long as there are records, and you tak care of the car yourself, it will run forever as long as you are good to it.

nizmosx
11-17-2006, 11:38 AM
sorry but im going to have to say NO...

but i still love my car. Almost as much as my car loves my wallet. when its running right its the best feeling ever. However it always seems like there is something always wrong. i dont know if its because im anal and if one little tiny thing is messed up i have to replace everything. haha.

its your call but just know that these are high priced cars maintenece wise and there are lots of big maintenence problems.

Just to name a couple.

sludge issues
timing belt
control arms

all high price fixes.

DarkcydS4
11-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by high_octaneRS-4
They are nice cars, however a money pit. From either spending money to repair it or to attempt to make it faster. I love my A4, and Ill keep it forever, but id never buy one again.

haha welcome to the wonderful world of audi! anyways, i'm not an A4 owner but an S. You can usually find me in the B5 s4 sections, but I have had a friend who has one an loves his. Of course it's going to be expensive in some cases to get stuff fixed, but if that's the case and that's what you're worried about better stick to a honda. Overall great cars! Can't beat quattro in the snow! No matter how much my S will cost to fix, upgrade, or whatever....I love my car and to me it's money well spent! Good luck with the car if you choose to buy it. Try searching the archives on here or AW and go from there. Remember, it's your car so no matter what, make sure YOU are happy with it. Living a Chi-town during the winters....the quattro would be fun!

dukez
11-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by high_octaneRS-4

High-five [up]

SirDaft1
11-17-2006, 09:18 PM
I've had mine for 1 1/2 yrs (started at 55k and now has 90k miles) and here's what I've replaced myself and not at a stealership....

- Timing Belt (water pump, etc...)
- Brakes (all 4 corners)
- Coil Packs
- Cam Chain Tensioner
- MAF Sensor
- Tires

Its an incredible car, and I get compliments (especially from women) ALL the time on it. Buuuut... if it doesn't have a warranty, be prepared to become your own mechanic. Buy a Vag-com tool to self diagnose, and get to know the guys on here real well b/c they are a great help. And... if you go '01, make sure to pick up the Sport package. 17" RS4's and Sport Suspension stock.

AElucky83
11-17-2006, 09:26 PM
....not reliable....but fun

Militant-Grunt
11-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by AElucky83

Exactly what is keeping me from selling mine and plowing more money into it.

3 bar
11-18-2006, 03:02 AM
Dont forget rear wheel bearings 96-01 and coil pack issues on 2000 and up cars. Taking care of these cars is like taking care of a beutiful woman. High maintanence. You have to spend alot to keep these cars running. Luckily I do all the work myself however, it is still getting expensive.

AudiSnawb
11-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by AElucky83

BINGO

onemoremile
11-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Not all that fun either. Fun is faster. The Audi is pretty nice though.

In 3 years I've spent several thousand bucks just to keep it on the road. It makes a Saab look like a reliable car.
The parts prices on the Audi are completely unrealistic. The battery cable is well over 200 bucks. There just aren't many repairs under 200.

offroader1006
11-18-2006, 08:06 AM
no, these cars are not reliable.

we all ride scooters.

onemoremile
11-18-2006, 08:15 AM
If my Audi had been as reliable as our Outback I would have enough left to pay cash for a nice used motorcycle. Or another big HDTV, or another workstation, or another couple high end mountian bikes, or a Jamaican vacation, etc..

I've gotten so bummed with constantly fixing the car that I sold the coilovers, race seats, and other performance parts. The car is barely strong enough to be driven daily let alone handle the stresses of track duty. They look pretty but are too fragile for real life. This will the last Audi I own for a very long time. No car is worth this much effort. There are much nicer cars that present much less trouble to own. Even a Merc isn't this bad. If I need another nice car it will be a Lexus. I'll probably just get another Subaru and forget where the dealership is.

4ingDrive
11-18-2006, 08:54 AM
I want to put a bullet in my car.

savetheclutch
11-18-2006, 09:08 PM
man i got my 2001 a4 5 months ago, the only problem was caused by me, changing the springs left the suspension loose, but reading all this just makes me wanna shoot myself for getting this car, the other option was an impreza with the same miles 66000

burner799
11-19-2006, 12:37 AM
ive had mine six months and put 18k or so miles on it. So far I have had to replace the ICM (120 bucks) and valve cover gasket (roughly 30 bucks). My rear suspension is squeeking and im too cheap to check what it is. Im at 68 k miles on stock TB and praying every night that it doesnt go until i can get enough money to replace it. These cars are not reliable and I wouldn't even say its completely worth it. If i could go back and do this again I would probably buy a WRX or a warranty.

JumboBlack1.8
11-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Holy Sh*T......did I make a mistake in buying one???....Hell no....Even thouhg there are many thigns that could potentially go wrong at some time, this is probably one of the best cars you can buy for the price. It's fairly fast and expandable (For a 150 - 170hp engine), while also offering a great drive quality. I've had an Audi for 4 years before my last car got totaled, and I bought another one afterwards because I couldn't walk away from the quality. If you get a warranty (like I currently have), repairs might not be so bad. If you want a great ride that you'll be proud to drive, definately get an Audi, and you wont' be disappointed. It may not be the most reliable, but you'll love it. And if you put more into the car, it will only get better over time. Go for it.

victorvu
11-19-2006, 12:57 AM
ok my turn to say my side of the story. i went through 2 tl type s and to tell you the truth hondas and acura's from the year 99-03 sucks ass. if you know about hondas and acuras throughout those years you'll know that they have tranny issues. i went with an audi a4 because i wanted something different. now after reading this im kind of scared but it hasnt given me problems yet. i've had it for almost 4 months now and only did 2 oil changes, and the car is at 84k. the timing belt hasnt even been replaced yet. and from what i know and i have records of it, is that the old owner changed the water pump and i think control arms. thats about it. and when i got it, it only had 2 quarts of oil in it. all i have to recommend is if you get this car make sure that the timing belt has been replaced and the water pump. also make sure the tranny shifts smoothly and the clutch grips. and when you do oil changes get filters from the dealers not from a local auto parts store, because it will cause sludge.