PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my car for inspection!

matt719
11-14-2006, 07:53 PM
My inspection is two months overdue. I haven't brought it in because I have a couple codes and I know it won't pass. Unfortunately, I'm driving to Montreal next week and I need a sticker.

Here are the codes:

17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
P1136 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16891 - Idle Control System RPM Higher than Expected.
P0507 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I believe I have a bad precat O2 sensor. I've had a code for one in the past. I am guessing that is where the lean code comes from. What I am worried about is the high idle code. My idle is very high, even when the car is warmed up. It behaves exactly like this:

"If the complete throttle valve control module is without power (i.e. disconnected), the throttle valve assumes a mechanical closed throttle position that results in an increased idle speed of 1200-1300 RPM (with engine at operating temperature)."

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1221316.phtml

Unfortunately, I don't know what this means. My idle tends to hover around 1200-1300, just as it says. I have had codes for a bad throttle body in the past but they have been gone for a while.

I need to fix this as cheaply and quickly as possible. What can I do?! I don't even care about the idle right now, I just need to pass inspection.

matt719
11-15-2006, 08:11 AM
bump. Please help, I need to get the car inspected on Friday!

I ordered a new oxygen sensor; it should come Thursday or Friday. Hopefully that will solve one of my problems.

Fistantari
11-15-2006, 02:25 PM
well you already know to start with your o2, especially if you got a code for that before. Other than that I would search the forums a bit, there's countless posts for that cel number.

More importantly, and much cheaper than the o2 sensor, I would check all your vaccum lines, there are a few that are VERY easy to access that tend to get brittle and break, take off your engine cover and look.

Also I would clean your MAF just for the hell of it. It could be the culprit that's causing the lean code as well.

After all that if you're still getting a code, I'd be worried. As of right now you're in the same boat that almost everyone that's a 1.8t has been in at some point and time on this forum.

Don't worry.

As for the idle, I would bet that this problem might go away with the other, but I'm no expert.

matt719
11-15-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to the lean code as common, which it is. I'm not worried about that. I've had it for a year. I'm worried about the high idle code. Why? Because the ramifications are a faulty throttle body, which costs 400 big ones. Not only do I not have time to replace this before I leave for Montreal, I don't have the money for it.

All my visible vac lines have been replaced. I just ordered a new DV, so when I put that on I'll obviously check the DV line.

I'm going to skip cleaning the maf because i've logged the MAF readings and they were high (like 190 i think). Cleaning the maf on my dad's 1.8T actually made it worse.

Thanks for your reply!

I would just assume drive my car without an inspection sticker, but crossing a border without one makes me nervous.

matt719
11-16-2006, 04:15 AM
bump