PDA

View Full Version : Install D2S w/ H7 adapters in stock housing issues.

jbartlett
11-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Sorry to post another HID question...

But I have searched everywhere, here, aw, google even.

What I am doing is the common valeo ballasts, Philips OEMs, factory halogen housing, nothing fancy.

I have cut the housing with the dremel, installed the ballasts, but now I am waiting on the H7 adapters, they did not ship with my order.

So in playing around and after much research, I decide to basically lay the d2s in the H7 socket with the ignitor attached to see if the cover would fit (I have heard conflicting stories, so I thought that I would check) and it did. However upon removal, I heard the ceramic earth ground wire rubbing and low and behold it cracked and I had to order a new pair again. Now I am concerned that they still may touch even with the adapters. From what I read, that can cause premature ballast failure and also even break the ceramic (again).

The questions begin at...

Should it be that tight? What does everyone else do, or is this normally not an issue?

I have heard some say that I should install a 15amp fuse rather than a 10amp and also the member that sold them told me that it should be fine as stock.

Also lastly, does anyone have any pictures showing the beam pattern on the street or a wall, I don't care for frontal pics, but I am concerned with how well I can see and wish to do so without offending other motorists.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Josh

Oh yeah, new to posting here, but have had two A4s over 3 years and have appreciated the help here. Now running 1999.5 A4 1.8T QM APR Stage 1

sandnessmj
11-14-2006, 06:33 PM
I'll try and get some beam pics of mine for you. The biggest difference is being able to see nearly 180 degrees in front of you, but all below say, 4 feet high (higher on the passenger side). It takes a few minutes to get used to it, but you can definitely see better overall.

jbartlett
11-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Excellent, I would appreciate it. I have not been able to find anything about this. Did you have any clearance issues with the bulbs and the inside of the projector?

Chard
11-15-2006, 07:48 AM
I've had that setup before and don't recall the ground wire being that close to holder. If it does break, you should be able to JB weld it back. FWIW, I ran mine without the H7 adapters for a few weeks before I got the rings.

Not too sure about the fuses...why would you want to change them? Apparently it seems like they think it's a better idea to let more current through, but I don't see why.

Click here (http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98699&highlight=xenon+beam+pattern) and scroll down for some pics of beam patterns.

jbartlett
11-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Thank you for the pictures. I appreciate them greatly. I am actually impressed by the stock halogen beam with the hid. I was expecting more bleed into the cutoff.

As far the fuse issue, I have just read in other posts that some recommend upsizing the fuse. If it is not required, I would certainly prefer not to switch. I plan to try with the stock fuse and may travel with spares incase of issues.

As far as the opening, yes my ceramic is very close, 1/16" or less. I didn't know if that was normal or not. There is no way that I could install without adapters. I have heard about ballast failure due to contact and also bulb damage of course.

killroy77
11-16-2006, 11:40 AM
I made a custom wiring harness with mine with independant fuses and relays. Don't try to use the D2S bulb in the H7 socket without the Rings. Why. Because I broke the wire cover on two test bulbs, because if the d2s bulb doesn't get seated perfectly center then the wire will rub the bulb opening and break the wire cover. These can't be truely fixed with anything, other then high temp liquid porcelain. Wait for the rings. They are worth it. JB weld will not take the heat and it will fume, causing a your headlights to fog with smoke residue.

jbartlett
11-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I believe that they arrived today, I have not made it home yet but maybe I will get it completed and have some pics.

Thanks again,
Josh

jbartlett
11-16-2006, 04:52 PM
I started working on the lights again tonight.

I opened the H7 Adapters, fit them to the second set of D2S bulbs, marked the bulb and broke out the dremel. I test fit the bulbs a few times while making slight modifications to the area of the bulb needing trimmed and I noticed something strange with my bulbs. (Note that all four of my bulbs are Philips D2S 85122s) Anyhow, the new set of the bulbs are slightly different that the first two, the earth ground and ceramic are closer to the glass capsule in the newest set. This means that they are not nearly as close to the opening as the first two bulbs, hopefully breaking the ceramic should not happen again.

I fit them in the housings, hooked the ignitors to the ballasts and plugged the housing in, flipped the switch and they work like a charm. The beam pattern is quite good also, near the quality of my bi-xenon Maxima (low beam obviously). So I took them back and trying to make certain that the wire clip held the bulbs correctly and broke it now!

So the question is has this happened to anyone else, how do you hold these in securely and where can I get a new clip? Also is there any better way to secure them?

Thank you,
Josh

bOOOOstedAudi
11-16-2006, 06:02 PM
i did it and it worked fine but I must say I do have a headlight out right now

IKE20VA4
11-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Hmm weird that you keep breaking insulators... But yes, the H7 valeos are known to be about the best halogen project in terms of HID adaptability and clean cutoff. I would just say don't touch them anymore...

jbartlett
11-17-2006, 06:26 AM
I've only broken one bulb... so far. However I have broken the metal clasps that hold the bulb in the housing.

I took some pictures of the bulb differences. Notice the location of the ceramic insulator on both bulbs. The broken one (right) is the first set. The H7 based one is the new.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/jwbartlett/Audi%20A4Q%2018T/HID%20Install/philips_d2s_51822.jpg

I have been trying to find replacement clips and have not had much success locally. I think that I am going to try finding some small diameter stainless wire and use the existing clip loops to create a boxed X shape like |X| with wire. I am not certain, but I think it should actually hold the ignitor and bulb to the housing much bettter. Does anyone see an issue with that or should I just find H7 clips?

killroy77
11-17-2006, 10:25 AM
I have seen people make wire clips out of just plain metal wire from a Hard ware store. One of those heavy duty paper clips might work, if you can bend it without breaking it. The good thing is that your doing it the right. I have since swapped out my H7 bowls with D2S ones, and I like the road coverage alot better. Its an easy swap to change bowls, but the H7's are pretty good.

jbartlett
11-17-2006, 12:14 PM
I found a set of xenon projectors but I didn't know how to open the case for the housing and didn't research it much.

killroy77
11-18-2006, 08:30 AM
If you later buy a set of D2S projectors to replace your H7, its kind of a trick to get the old ones out. You can't seperate your headlight. You use a scew driver and you pop off the metal clips holding the reflctor bowl to the projector lens, and then the bowl will release. You then have to turn it and kind of play with it, but it will slide out, but its a snug fit. The pain is the new D2S bowl has to be clipped back on the projector lens housing while inside the headlight. Its a pain but you end up with True OEM hids. Less the leveling system.