PDA

View Full Version : question about HIDs

lilman05
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
I picked up a hid kit from http://www.pilothid.com/ and got the 6000K hid kit. I then I got another kit for the fogs from another az member and once I had the fogs installed (well only one since one didnt work but watever) I noticed the fog hid is a lot brighter then the ones in my headlights. The hid in the fog light is 8000k (so technically there should be less light output but with a bluer tint.) Basically I was wondering does HID quility depend on the bulbs or on the blasts. Even it if depends on both, which one does it depend on mostly. I was wondering because if it depends on the bulbs, then I may just pick up 2 new bulbs for my headlights in the future. Also since one of the bulbs in the fogs is bad, if I get only one new one, then it should be fine right? I know its recommened to replace bulbs in pairs. Thanks

lilman05
11-13-2006, 10:17 PM
O I should add that the HIDs in the fogs are a different brand..

sean1.8t
11-14-2006, 12:21 AM
it depends on the light bulbs, the ballasts, and THE FIXTURES they are in. anything else you need could be found via the search button

Chard
11-14-2006, 09:39 AM
They might look brighter in the fogs because you probably don't have a projector in there, meaning there's no cutoff plate. If you're just shining the light off in a regular fog housing, it's going to pretty much reflect everywhere and appear brighter.

Yes, ballasts do play a role in the output of light. I'm running the SPP stage 3 ballasts, which are 55W. Normal xenon ballasts are 35W, which I can actually switch to if I want. Anyway, running more wattage is going to give it more output, in which case a higher Kelvin bulb can be used.

lude2euroa4
11-14-2006, 09:53 AM
the setup i sold you was 35w, pretty damn bright, like ^ guy said more light or brightness will "appear" from the fogs since they arent projectors BUT i had both in heads and fogs and like i shouwed you in my pic they were equally strong. "light output wise"

lilman05
11-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Ya the kit you gave me is really bright. Thanks again, I just hope we can get this bulb thing settled, did you contact the dealer or whatever?

killroy77
11-14-2006, 12:44 PM
The only way a ballast can be brighter is if its over wattaged. 35w is standard. Anything higher does equal a brighter bulb, but the bulb life decreases the higher you go unless you get quality DL50's. But the true reason the fogs appear brighter is the excess glare the Halogen fog housing is producing. This housing is not designed for HID's, so the bulb just throws light everywhere. Projectors focus the light better and reduce glare. 8k's in fogs though is really useless. HID's 4k and above in general suck for fogs because of the light wave length and the reflection of the light back at you. THe best HID's for fogs are the Philips 3000k's.

lude2euroa4
11-14-2006, 05:04 PM
lilman dont listen to everything you read hear its best to expeirence and make your own opinion on things, once i get s4 fogs the 8ks are getting put back in the fogs :)

BRIGHTNESS + DRIVERS BEING BLINDED = Getting out the way!

Chard
11-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Don't discount everyone on here just because you want a satisfied buyer. He's obviously satisfied as he stated. What I am saying is not an opinion, it's science.

Why do you think there is a difference between d2s and d2r bulbs? The d2r would be something that's optimal for the fog housings (without a projector retrofit) because it won't scatter the light in every direction.

Blinding drivers, while possibly beneficial to you, is NOT cool. I'm sure you don't like it very much when oncoming traffic has their high beams on.

killroy77
11-16-2006, 11:49 AM
I agree with Chard. D2R would be the best bulb style.

But 8k's are going to be for looks on fogs and not really performance. If they are just for general driving then it doesn't matter, but if they are for Fog driving conditions then standard Halogen is better for fog then 8k. 3k is still best for Fog or incliment driving conditions.

lilman05
11-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Its all for looks. I mean ive got a 2.8.