PDA

View Full Version : question about tail lights... wierd...

smoothie
11-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I was checking my taillights the other day to make sure if they were all working properly and I notice one was burnt out. I took out the rear panel and noticed that there wasn't a bulb in the socket. put a new one in and then went to put the panel back on and it wouldn't go in because the hole that the bulb is supposed to go into is capped off. this is on the passenger side, the drivers is normal...? here are two pictures comparing the two tail lights and one showing which light it is

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/nazx/DSCN0377.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/nazx/DSCN0376.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/nazx/DSCN0378.jpg

the light that it is for is the vertically long one on the left of the passenger tail light. Can I just pop out the little cap or cut it out or something? I dont' get it because the other side is normal....?[confused]

iowaboostin
11-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Can't see the pics because they're blocked at my work. I'll take a shot at it though.. I'm guessing the 'socket' you're trying to install a bulb in is the top section of the taillight? That's not supposed to light up. The top section on the driver side is the rear foglight. Only the bottom part lights up during brake. The switch for the rear foglight is in the dash by your regular foglights/emergency flashers.. turn it off [:p]

MultiAudis
11-09-2006, 11:18 AM
^^^Thats my guess as well

jaredpgh
11-09-2006, 11:26 AM
yeah, definitely rear fog. NA vehicles only have them on the drivers side.

nizmosx
11-09-2006, 11:27 AM
hahah euro fog.

onemoremile
11-09-2006, 11:29 AM
I've got rear fogs on both sides now. Just the thing for pretend brake checking tailgaters. [:D]

iowaboostin
11-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
I've got rear fogs on both sides now. Just the thing for pretend brake checking tailgaters. [:D]
Brilliant idea. I'm gonna have to bust out my soldering gun and hook that up.

smoothie
11-10-2006, 05:35 PM
lol I like the tailgating idea.

man! it is the rear fog! what the hell is up with that? one fog light???!

Aliel
11-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Hahahhahahaaha

Everybody gets confused by the single rear fog light.

Gotta love euro cars.

Black92LX
11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
it actually makes more sense to only have one.

if you have both sure they are bright but it draws more attention if you have one that is brighter. people are more likely to pay attention to it.

That's the reason i run headlight and yellow fogs even during the day it stands out.

RippleChip
11-10-2006, 07:40 PM
And most call the Cdn law of daytime running lights stupid.

smoothie
11-10-2006, 07:56 PM
i guess it makes sense... then why would they bother and make a socket on the panel to accept a light bulb and a hole for it to go in... except it's plugged.... strange but w/e, lol.

to black92LX, I have always loved yellow tinted fogs! sadly my car isn't equipped with them....:(

quattrosedan
11-10-2006, 07:59 PM
hey my 97 has dual fog lights in the rear....and it doesn't look like any modifications have been made.....any possibility the 97's came like that?

Black92LX
11-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by smoothie
i guess it makes sense... then why would they bother and make a socket on the panel to accept a light bulb and a hole for it to go in... except it's plugged.... strange but w/e, lol.

to black92LX, I have always loved yellow tinted fogs! sadly my car isn't equipped with them....:(

assuming you mean fogs as a whole. because all it takes is 30 bucks and a simple bulb change if you do

ExpLlclT
11-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by onemoremile

never thought to do that genious

DRA4
11-10-2006, 11:22 PM
I use my rear fogs everyweek when i travel to Dirty Jersey. They back off so quick lol.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/358IMG_1202-med.JPG

WhiteQuattro1.8
11-11-2006, 01:54 PM
The reason theres only one is so other drivers realize that its not your brake lights. Hense why cars also have 3 brake lights right left center. For left hand drivin cars the fog light is on the left. For right hand drivin cars its on the right. I realized how it all works one foggy day when i was driving home from snow boarding down a mountain. I could barely see 5 feet in front of me. A benz drove by me and i was like wow what an iddiot somethign wrong with his tailights. I couldn't see him at all except for that one light. Then i saw how he ued his brakes up ahead. If he had both lit up from doing a mod i would have never known his brakes went on. It was really hard to even makethe third brake light out in the window.

burner799
11-11-2006, 02:01 PM
LOL. it won't go in beause the socket is capped off. newb. just use a dremel to make the opening big enough, shouldn't be any soldering necessary.