PDA

View Full Version : need help stripped headlight adj screw

LODOSS
10-26-2006, 11:12 PM
I was stupid.. i was adjusting the left and right and thought it was doing the up and down... for some reason i was seeing it move.. i guess it was .. left and right.. right now its stuck on an angle.. when i finally found out which one was up and down.. i put it up as much as i could. that one is still not stripped yet but i think its stuck right now. if the bolts were'nt stripped im sure i can get it straighten out..

has anyone run into an issue with a stripped headlight adjustment screw? i was thinking of cutting the back piece of the white plastic with an X and then use a flat head or something flat and just do 1/4 turn at a time since the left and right one is so close to the inner fender.

Neo1130
10-26-2006, 11:13 PM
I think that you can get repair kits at ECSTuning.com. Or those may be just repair kits for the headlight mounting tabs...

LODOSS
10-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Cool.. seeing how easy they are to take off.. the headlights i thin i'll just take it off and then at least get the semi line up and make dremel some new teeths into them..

when you take out the passenger side headlights.. do you need to take out the iar box etc to remove the wiring harness or do you just take the headlight out through the front and then unplug the wiring harnesses? thanks for the help man.

Neo1130
10-26-2006, 11:24 PM
You remove 3 torx screws... There are two that are pretty easy to get to and then the one at the bottom in the fender area... That is kinda hard to get into and not loose the bit/screw... After that, there is more than enough slack in the harness to just take it out of the front and unplug it that way, so no need to remove the air box...

LODOSS
10-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Neo1130
You remove 3 torx screws... There are two that are pretty easy to get to and then the one at the bottom in the fender area... That is kinda hard to get into and not loose the bit/screw... After that, there is more than enough slack in the harness to just take it out of the front and unplug it that way, so no need to remove the air box...

also i will do that tomorrow.. why audi have so many torx screws!!

I think i need to get a set of torx drivers.

Neo1130
10-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by LODOSS

I think i need to get a set of torx drivers.

That would be a good idea now that you have an Audi!! [:)] But get some good ones that acutally lock onto the wrench unlike what I did... I just got some cheap ones and regret it... They break easy and don't have that lock indentation on them... So I loose them like crazy...

LODOSS
10-26-2006, 11:36 PM
what you mean by lock indention?

LODOSS
10-26-2006, 11:42 PM
sorry last question.. is it better to get the ones with individual handels or just get a set of t sockets? also whats the biggest i need to have? t-30? any sizes that i need to have for sure?

LODOSS
10-27-2006, 12:58 AM
are those long nipples pieces of the headlight adjustment screw there so you can manually use your hand to turn them?

LODOSS
10-28-2006, 09:12 AM
pulled the headlight out. i use a knife and cut the plastic piece in the back and used a flathead and got it back in spec.. becareful the plastic piece is hollow inside.. one of my cracked up/down .. lukcily that one the normal adjustment screw still somewhat works.. i put a new bulb tonight so we'll see if the light is back to normal =)