PDA

View Full Version : Grinding when shifting, cold weather

TDRILL
10-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Ok, I think I know the problem. I searched to verify it, but didn't find a good post on it. Hopefully, this will be a good search post for the future.

It recently started to get pretty cold here. In the morning, my shifts grind a little bit. Its not the hard grind that you would get if you missed a shift or tried to shift without the clutch, but you can hear (and feel it in the stick) a little grind like the teeth in the tranny aren't meshing as well as they should. Once the car warms up it stops completely and the shifts are smooth (even when shifting hard or fast).

Now, I encountered this on my last car (Accord at about 120k to 140k miles). My mechanic replaced the clutch master cylinder and it never happened again, even on really cold mornings.

So I just wanted to verify. If you get a grind as you are shifting, but it happens all the time, you may have a bad synchro in the tranny (very expensive). But if you only get the small grind when its cold out, but once the car warms up it goes away, it may be the clutch master cylinder (or clutch slave cylinder).

BTW, my tranny fluids are good and I just had a tranny flush not that long ago.

Someone please verify this for me. Thanks.

BTW, I started this same thread on another forum but I am looking for some more info.

Burntaudi
10-26-2006, 08:38 PM
This is very common in VW/Audi Transmissions. I'm guessing that this is second gear? Only things that seem to work is 1 you can try a better synthetic gear lube. 2 just be carful shifting into gear double clutching seems to help or skip 2nd gear & go right to 3rd gear.

TDRILL
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Gear lube just replaced. Used 75W90 full synthetic.

I am finding more about second gear issues as I continue searching. What seems to be different is that my car will shift great except when its like 40F or lower in the morning. As soon as the car warms up a little bit, this problem goes away.

I will probably look at shifting right to 3rd until it warms up. I have already tried changing up some things - shifting quickly, shifting slowly, pulling it out of gear wait a second and then shift to second, etc. None of it has really helped.

IDK, I am just thinking that there is something that I can do to fix this problem. I really haven't gotten any good definative answers or suggestions on what would be causing this to happen.