PDA

View Full Version : Turbo finally went... A few questions about turbo installs...

1.8G
10-26-2006, 09:26 AM
After all of 3 months, my GTRS has blown. I need to get it out of the car asap and returned for replacement under warranty. I suppose my questions are: which tools will I need?, is there anything i should know before starting (tips and tricks)? Sorry if the post is vague, I am studying like mad for a 12:00 calc midterm.

01'A41.8T
10-26-2006, 10:05 AM
how do you know its blown?

Saturnine
10-26-2006, 10:15 AM
He must be blowing smoke out the back or something..

All you really need is a bunch of normal tools, sockets, jack+stands, extensions..

I'm guessing that you didnt install your kit?

BranCKY3
10-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 1.8G
After all of 3 months, my GTRS has blown. I need to get it out of the car asap and returned for replacement under warranty. I suppose my questions are: which tools will I need?, is there anything i should know before starting (tips and tricks)? Sorry if the post is vague, I am studying like mad for a 12:00 calc midterm.

I take it you didn't install it? I got mine out in like 30 minutes after I realized I didn't tighten the oil return line all the way on it... It's just nuts and bolts, nothing too hard. Make sure you drain your oil and coolant first though [:p] After that, unbolt the cat / testpipe from the turbo, there's only 3 nuts for that, and the 3 mani>turbo bolts. The rest should be self explanitory for the oil feed and coolant feed/return, although you should unbolt the oil return line from the oil pan and pull it off still attached to the turbo.

1.8G
10-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 01'A41.8T
how do you know its blown?

It started with quite noticeable siren noise... then quickly went to dentist drill. On sunday I noticed that there was white smoke coming out the tailpipes after a minute or so of idle... white smoke increases with throttle.

I did not install the kit, my mechanic installed it and grossly overcharged me. I cant afford that again, this will be the 4th turbo on my car...

maxspeed
10-26-2006, 10:46 AM
the fourth turbo on your car?

you should check that the turbos are getting enough oil, thats how another guy on here has his t28 blow up

01'A41.8T
10-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 1.8G
It started with quite noticeable siren noise... then quickly went to dentist drill. On sunday I noticed that there was white smoke coming out the tailpipes after a minute or so of idle... white smoke increases with throttle.

I did not install the kit, my mechanic installed it and grossly overcharged me. I cant afford that again, this will be the 4th turbo on my car...

Ouch, you really can do it yourself. I actually found that removing/installing the elims in easier than k03/k04. Any background info on the other 3 turbos?

giorgos_B5c
10-26-2006, 11:05 AM
4 turbos?That's nuts man....Something is definately wrong with your car....Are you making a collection?[:D]

BranCKY3
10-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by maxspeed
the fourth turbo on your car?

you should check that the turbos are getting enough oil, thats how another guy on here has his t28 blow up

That and make sure the oil return isn't clogged or kinked.