PDA

View Full Version : Excited new owner

sandnessmj
10-25-2006, 05:00 PM
So I sent payment today for the 99 A4 1.8T Quattro 5speed with 75k miles that I'm getting. It's black, has the heated sport seats and sport suspension, APR stage III kit, and Werks of Art clutch.

I'm so excited I could pee my pants.

This thing is so mint, and is everything I could want in a car, really. I had a 98 Civic HX that was my daily driver, and while it as great on gas, it wasn't great on anything else. Well, that got totalled, so I found myself in need of a car. I was amazed at how much people are asking for used Civics! Keep in mind, I was thinking gas mileage and reliability were my only desires at the time. Well, I saw how relatively affordable B5's are considering how much you get...

Anywho, just thought I'd drop a line and give a greeting. First mod to the car is probably to get rid of the stock headlights. Not sure if I'll go one-piece or not...I like the look, but not the thought of grinding away at the fender... Other than that, only time will tell what I might decide to do!

VMRWheels
10-25-2006, 05:03 PM
welcome to the forums!!

TQMB5
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
awesome man you will definatly enjoy

badassbaldie
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Anywho, just thought I'd drop a line and give a greeting. First mod to the car is probably to get rid of the stock headlights. Not sure if I'll go one-piece or not...I like the look, but not the thought of grinding away at the fender... Other than that, only time will tell what I might decide to do!

Congrats and welcome. As for the headlights, the trimming is slight but WELL worth the effort, Trust me/us...

sandnessmj
10-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks, I've lurked around unregistered for a bit, trying to soak up some knowledge.

So which is better? 1.8t or 2.8?

Just kidding...[:D]

speedydtp247
10-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by sandnessmj
Thanks, I've lurked around unregistered for a bit, trying to soak up some knowledge.

So which is better? 1.8t or 2.8?

Just kidding...[:D]
welcome. thats really low miles on a 99.

why do people knock on the 2.8 so much!?

sandnessmj
10-25-2006, 05:18 PM
As a side though, anyone ever wander over to icixsound.com? Good community over there and lots of car audio knowledge...I go by the same name there....

sandnessmj
10-25-2006, 05:19 PM
why do people knock on the 2.8 so much!? [/B]

The 2.8's are great...I had one and got a BOV and it pwned.

Again...kidding...[;)]

speedydtp247
10-25-2006, 05:20 PM
The 2.8's are great...I had one and got a BOV and it pwned.

Again...kidding...[;)]
you had one? bov on what?

ExpLlclT
10-25-2006, 05:48 PM
wow looks like you even did some research welcome to the boards can't wait to see pics

Mattgfx
10-25-2006, 06:22 PM
get some pics up!

PS: dont make fun of 2.8 :( there sweet

sandnessmj
10-25-2006, 06:36 PM
I wasn't trying to make fun of 2.8's, I was just throwing out some typical noob-speak...[:)]

I'll get pics up as soon as possible.

Another thing that I'll definitely have to do is get some smoked or clear side markers...the amber just sticks out too much against the black...

Tint will probably come at some point in the near future, too...too bad CT has crappy regs on that - I'll probably end up with 50% on sides and 35 or 20 on the rear.

hey4
10-25-2006, 07:25 PM
congrats! welcome to the unreliable world of stage 3. [:D]
Post up some pics when you get a chance.

MultiAudis
10-25-2006, 07:44 PM
make that the unreliable world of 1.8T

burner799
10-25-2006, 08:08 PM
wait, what are "the" heated sports seats?

sandnessmj
10-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by burner799
wait, what are "the" heated sports seats?

Maybe they're not factory, but they heat up with the factory dials, match the stock interior, and look just like the S4 seats, but not leather. Probably the most comfortable seats I've had in a vehicle.

burner799
10-25-2006, 08:32 PM
The s4 seats are kinda stiff so i doubt youd call them comfortable. Are they like the ones in the pic below? if not they are prolly just stock ones.

http://www.autodesignhaus.com/tuners/avantgarde/images/interior.jpg

AudiSport12
10-25-2006, 08:37 PM
ive got heated sport seats too. [drive]
toss some pics up[up]

burner799
10-25-2006, 08:47 PM
this is the first time i hear of a4's with sports seats

fred2ka4
10-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Since you have an APR stage III, the first mods you should do, (if not already done) are:

1) snub mount
2) S4, or RS4 motor mounts
3) and a transmission stabilizer.

These are not to pricey as far as mods go, and will go a long way.

BTW, welcome to AZ, BT, and the A4 money pit! [:D]

Here's a look a few smiley's you should get used to:

[=(] [headbang] [wrench] [confused] , but the most important one's are these:

[az] [a4]

AudiSport12
10-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by burner799
this is the first time i hear of a4's with sports seats
comes with the sport package, no?
side holsters are raised out for more stability

pipe7284
10-25-2006, 09:10 PM
congrats man, going from a civic to a stage III beast, is hell of alot difference. hope you enjoy it and see through the rear view mirror all them ricers trying to catch up. lol...

AudiSport12
10-25-2006, 09:12 PM
these are my seats (sport) --cant really see them well, ill try to find some better pics
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/DSCF0205.jpg
these arent my seat (but still sport)
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/95_1.jpg
---------------------------------
these are non-sports
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/DSCN1293.jpg

am i right someone?

Neo1130
10-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey Kyle, nice car!! I too have a black A4 with sport seats!! Did I mention my name is also Kyle!! Holy shit, so many things in common!! (I am being kind of a smart ass if ya can't tell!) Hahaha, but it is all good and nice to see so many similarities between the two of us!! And yes you are correct about the sport seats...

sandnessmj
10-25-2006, 09:22 PM
these arent my seat (but still sport)
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/95_1.jpg

This pic shows seats similar to mine...minus the stains!

sandnessmj
10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by fred2ka4
[B]Since you have an APR stage III, the first mods you should do, (if not already done) are:

1) snub mount
2) S4, or RS4 motor mounts
3) and a transmission stabilizer.

Car already has the APR snub mount. I assume the transmission stabilizer reduces slop in the driveline, correct? And the motor mounts would probably help to keep everything in place as well...probably makes the shifting a little more crisp, too... How much vibration do those components add? For the most part, this will be my daily driver, so I'd like it to remain somewhat comfortable...

Oh, and someone's going to have to clue me in on what BT stands for...[confused]

fred2ka4
10-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Car already has the APR snub mount. I assume the transmission stabilizer reduces slop in the driveline, correct? And the motor mounts would probably help to keep everything in place as well...probably makes the shifting a little more crisp, too... How much vibration do those components add? For the most part, this will be my daily driver, so I'd like it to remain somewhat comfortable...

VERY COMFORTABLE!! This is my daily driver also, and comfort was not to be sacrificed.

The transmission stabilizer bar not only reduces slop in the driveline, but it also reduces wear to the motor mounts. It's been said if you do no other suspension upgrade, do this one. It makes that big of a difference. I have the S4 motor mounts and tranny mounts (1 of them, the other tranny mount is an A4) but the car rides and handles very smooth and precise. I am going to upgrade my rear swaybar. I also have Bilsteins w/ H&R sport springs, and again the car rides and handles great.

fred2ka4
10-25-2006, 09:41 PM

Oh, and someone's going to have to clue me in on what BT stands for...[confused]

BT = Big Turbo [:D]

burner799
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
aw man. I have non sport.....damnit my car is sport package WTF. now i have to upgrade. boooooo

sandnessmj
10-25-2006, 09:50 PM
BT = Big Turbo [:D]

Yeah, I shoulda known that one!

So I'll definitely look into the transmission stabilizer...

As far as the stage III goes - have you had any reliability issues? I understand added stress from increased power will cause things to fail, I'm just wondering if you've personally run into any problems. Also, I couldn't find it on APR's website, and they still haven't responded to my email...what's the max boost pressure put out by the stage III kit?

MR VTEC
10-25-2006, 09:56 PM
So I sent payment today for the 99 A4 1.8T Quattro 5speed with 75k miles that I'm getting. It's black, has the heated sport seats and sport suspension, APR stage III kit, and Werks of Art clutch.

Damn you came on the game and already own me... Atleast i got a fastetr color!!! HA!

Welcome aboard, Mi matey... har ar... [az]

Quattrocket
10-26-2006, 02:22 AM
All yur muneyz belong to audi now.

mcote1230
10-26-2006, 03:12 AM
did u find this on craigslist?

AudiSport12
10-26-2006, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Neo1130
Hey Kyle, nice car!! I too have a black A4 with sport seats!! Did I mention my name is also Kyle!! Holy shit, so many things in common!! (I am being kind of a smart ass if ya can't tell!) Hahaha, but it is all good and nice to see so many similarities between the two of us!! And yes you are correct about the sport seats...

haha and to add more things to the common list... i too have a full borla exhaust. i have a TP waiting to be installed whenever i get my car back. oh and i have a 'ghetto intake' (cone filter and heat sheald) [wrench]

lovintheboost
10-26-2006, 09:31 AM

As far as the stage III goes - have you had any reliability issues? I understand added stress from increased power will cause things to fail, I'm just wondering if you've personally run into any problems. Also, I couldn't find it on APR's website, and they still haven't responded to my email...what's the max boost pressure put out by the stage III kit?

i have apr stage III and i beat the crap out of my car every day on the street and track (road course) and never have any problems that relate to the apr kit just regular audi problems that you will learn about soon enough. alot of people knock apr because of the price but you are buying performance and piece of mind. you wont have the headaches that come with the elims or customs set ups

fred2ka4
10-26-2006, 09:53 PM

I've run into a few issues, one being the clutch. I snapped the pressure plate in two peices on a hard launch, and have now upgraded to a Clutch Master stage III kevlar set-up which works great. Max psi is 22lbs on the APR ecu, and I have been having issues with mine because either a map sensor, or a boost sensor has gone bad, (but not the ecu), but neither is that expensive. One thing you should really look into buying is a vagcom, which will let you plug into your diagnostic port and trouble shoot problems you may have with your car. It will also let you clear fault codes, and change certain settings on your car. If you go to Ross-tech.com, you can download the software for free but you have to buy the cable, which can be around $300.00 but it is well worth the investment with this car. As far as the turbo set-up itself, I have had no problems and that's why the kit is so expensive. You pay for all the R&D that went into developing this kit, and it is the most reliable one on the market. Hope this helps.

Here is the link for Ross-tech:

http://www.ross-tech.com/

docurley
10-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Well sounds like a nice ride and welcome.

sandnessmj
10-27-2006, 08:19 AM
I've run into a few issues, one being the clutch. I snapped the pressure plate in two peices on a hard launch, and have now upgraded to a Clutch Master stage III kevlar set-up which works great. Max psi is 22lbs on the APR ecu, and I have been having issues with mine because either a map sensor, or a boost sensor has gone bad, (but not the ecu), but neither is that expensive. One thing you should really look into buying is a vagcom, which will let you plug into your diagnostic port and trouble shoot problems you may have with your car. It will also let you clear fault codes, and change certain settings on your car. If you go to Ross-tech.com, you can download the software for free but you have to buy the cable, which can be around $300.00 but it is well worth the investment with this car. As far as the turbo set-up itself, I have had no problems and that's why the kit is so expensive. You pay for all the R&D that went into developing this kit, and it is the most reliable one on the market. Hope this helps.

Here is the link for Ross-tech:

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Hopefully the Werks of Art clutch will hold up well. I don't really plan on driving it hard - although I'm sure I'm going to have to test the limits a few times at least!

Looks like I'm going to have to find a cheapo laptop to use with the VAG-COM. After reading the site and browsing ebay, it seems that the older version (409?) can be used with $20 cables found on ebay. Any features that will be missing in the older version? I'd rather not dump money into a laptop and another $300 or so for Rosstech cables and software.

Glad to hear that the APR kicks ass...especially because I'm paying nowhere near full price for it!

sandnessmj
10-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Bump...any input on the older VAG-Com software?