PDA

View Full Version : Headlight washers

hodge175
10-25-2006, 11:27 AM
I am having problems with my headlight and window washer...nothing is happeneing and I am not getting any voltage to the pumps. The fuses are all ok, is there a relay I can look at or should I look at the switches on the column?

iowaboostin
10-25-2006, 11:54 AM
I want to know also.

Do the headlight washers even help? [:p]

e.van
10-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by iowaboostin
I want to know also.

Do the headlight washers even help? [:p]

No. They just make the car dirty, if you use your sprayers at night.

hodge175
10-25-2006, 01:35 PM
no...nothing is working. The headlights work fine but niether the headlight washer nor the windshield wipers are working. It does not look like the pumps are getting voltage, and I did check the fuses... so I saw some relays when I was checking the fuses but I am not sure if they are in the circuit.

aRIf
10-25-2006, 01:41 PM
I did not even know I have a washer until I took the bumper out for my fmic. they are useless unless you go into mud everyday

ice cream man
10-25-2006, 03:30 PM
mine dont pop up and spray but the sprayers on my hood spray whats up with that?

matt719
10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
mine also don't work. the ones on my dad's 2001 do though... it actually is affective in the winter when you get lots of salt build up on the lights.

Rosati
10-25-2006, 04:03 PM
i wash my car way too often to be bothered w/ them ;)

But No, they dont work.

djserax313
10-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Another one here with washer that don't work.[mad]

burner799
10-29-2006, 01:43 AM
my washers dont work either. you guys know your headlights have to be on right? Glad they dont work, my friend used em on his s4 and it sprays the whole car

mike-2ptzero
10-29-2006, 07:23 AM
I removed mine and filled in the holes.[:D]

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716bumper_-_grill_1.jpg

Neo1130
10-29-2006, 08:02 AM
They are more there to spray off any ice and snow... It's not like they are supposed to make them look brand new or anything...

snoop
10-29-2006, 08:06 AM
off topic, looking good mike shes coming together. [up]
on topic, i got head light wash and it works. [:)] and the only time i use it is to annoy my mates when they are walking from the carpark to work. [:D]

Aliel
10-29-2006, 10:19 AM
mine don't work. I'll the take the pump and everything off when I install the new bumper. I don't like the way the washer caps look.

audiproud
11-02-2006, 07:14 PM
I turned my headlights on, hit the wiper lever, up pops the washers and sprayed just fine. Headlights Must BE ONNN.

SirDaft1
11-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I think they are one of the things that makes it an Audi. Not necessarily the most useful, agreed... but its one of those things for when people walk by your car and go... hmmm... my car doesn't have that.

cdyer77
02-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I turned my headlights on, hit the wiper lever, up pops the washers and sprayed just fine. Headlights Must BE ONNN.

Damn I feel like a retard!! I spent the last 45 mins searchin here & askin questions thinking it may be a fuse.

Thanks

Nor1824
02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
They work fine in my 97 A4 but sure dont work in my 89 80. The headlights in the 80 are the worst headlights ever made!

Tiluleshpingen
02-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I think they are one of the things that makes it an Audi. Not necessarily the most useful, agreed... but its one of those things for when people walk by your car and go... hmmm... my car doesn't have that.
I amaze people with bmw up to 2003 they be like whoa that nuts .. awsome.[:D] but naturaly does nothing only if i go in the mudd which i dont,

MikeWasHere05
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Wait.

I have a 98.5 A4 with cold weather package. I have those little bump thingies in front of my headlight, those actually like pop up?

I thought they were just there because VAG was too lazy to make two kinds of bumpers for like the A4 and A6.

Tiluleshpingen
02-27-2007, 03:28 PM
^^^^^^yeaapppp tunr on your headlights, lift the whipper fludid switch and tadaaa you have headlight sprayers thingiie try to let someone do it adn take a look for ur self. awsome rofl

ki11switch
02-27-2007, 06:07 PM
so, i didnt know mine were there until i put my rs4 bumper on, which covers them up... I think im going to make them spray out infront of the car, so i can spray people... ha

quadaxel
02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
hmm. on mine (98.5) , my high beams have to be on in order for them to pop up.

Calabria
02-27-2007, 06:25 PM
does anyone know where to get a washer cap? missing 1 and cant find any place that sells them online

Militant-Grunt
02-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Mine don't work at all. Kinda sucks because it is useful, guess why we have a 2 gallon windshield wiper fluid tank.

Quikslvr
02-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I got a leak in one of mine and i just took them out. Not worth fixing.

Lazer Viking
02-27-2007, 08:30 PM
pointless yes...

mine pop up, then the drivers side gets stuck on the bumper on the way back down

ProOnThaSnow
02-27-2007, 09:13 PM
I can actually vouch that the headlight washers do make a difference. When I drove back from Seattle this past weekend, coming over 4 passes in shitty conditions, I'd spray my washers, and notice a dramatic change in light output on the road... maybe you guys haven't used them in inclement enough weather to tell, but they definitely got the road grime off the headlights.

TQMB5
02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
so, i didnt know mine were there until i put my rs4 bumper on, which covers them up... I think im going to make them spray out infront of the car, so i can spray people... ha

haha that would be funny, and mine get stuck up when they do work, so it does look kinda dumb so i dont use them

alias747
02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
pointless yes...

mine pop up, then the drivers side gets stuck on the bumper on the way back down

My washer on the passenger side does the same thing, have you done anything to fix it? It looks REALLY tacky with is sticking up while I am driving.

BADB5A4
12-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey guys, new here from VWortexx. I am having a similar issue. I actually find them useful as I am in the North East and we get some real crap weather. I have a 99 and did the E-code headlight upgrade and now they arent getting any power to the pump. Windshield washers work fine and no fuses are blown. Is there a relay to look at? LLTek said I might have thrown a code buy disconnecting the lights (though I dont see how) but I cleared all codes with VAG Com and still no luck. I know these arent a popular item but I hate having stuff on my car not work [headbang]. Any ideas?

legionvr6
12-19-2007, 11:54 PM
hhmmm plug in the stock light and see if that works lol.

99.5 all 4 washers working. my co-worker saw them come up once and he said it looks like cobras poping out of the bumper. then died of laughter

turboquattro
12-20-2007, 01:04 AM
hahah surprisingly enough mine work fine but I have a fricken leak somewhere in my fluid tank so I cant even use the windshield washers and I get the annoying yellow warning light all the time that says im out of fluid haha its gay

wallabeex
12-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Mine work great, but I keep running out of fluid in like three days. I do 60 miles one way to work on the highway and the salt buildup on the windshield means I have to spray like every five minutes. I expect the fluid to disappear quickly but man, those headlight washers also take quite a bit of fluid too.

Good to know that I can effectively turn it off by turning my lights off. Wish there was just a separate button for them entirely ..

iwearpro
12-20-2007, 08:35 AM
I can actually vouch that the headlight washers do make a difference. When I drove back from Seattle this past weekend, coming over 4 passes in shitty conditions, I'd spray my washers, and notice a dramatic change in light output on the road... maybe you guys haven't used them in inclement enough weather to tell, but they definitely got the road grime off the headlights.

I think mine make a big difference as well..I love the look when you are parked at a intersection and hit them and the Mercedes or Lexus owner just point like "man mine dont do that" lol..Just another little option that makes Audi stand out from the crowd.

brlukosk
12-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Headlight washers are required by law on cars that have HID headlights from the factory. I'm not really sure why they were included on the halogen models, other than its probably a euro thing..

The heat output of the HID bulb is a lot lower than that of a standard halogen, therefore not putting out enough heat to melt the snow and ice that build up over the winter.

I have found that they are very helpful in clearing the headlights off. With the weather here and the salt, I used to have to wipe my headlights off every time I pulled into the garage to actually see anything at night. Now with the built in washers I can just spray them and they are clean.

Flyboy64
12-20-2007, 12:57 PM
hahah surprisingly enough mine work fine but I have a fricken leak somewhere in my fluid tank so I cant even use the windshield washers and I get the annoying yellow warning light all the time that says im out of fluid haha its gay

Mine does that as well and I tracked it down to a bad o-ring on the right side headlight washer. After using the wasker, the pump goes back into the bumper but the o-ring allows the fluid to leak out. I havent used my headlight washers in quite some time and so far no more leak but I know once I use them again I will have the leak return. I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new pump this winter.

Bic-Ball
12-20-2007, 01:35 PM
my pump itself was cracked which constantly caused me to have no washer fluid (im anal about my windshield being dirty). i pulled the pump out and put a wine cork in the fluid tank where the pump went :p

eurowerks
12-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Didn't find the washer useful until lately when I was driving on muddy/melted snow roads and I noticed my HID beam was dim. It didn't clean them perfectly but definitely helped. Glad my RS4 bumper came with it. It's a nice feature. I can live without it but I'm glad I have it.

woofster
12-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I always laugh when I see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn1QozDH3LM

BADB5A4
12-25-2007, 12:48 PM
OK, after some investigation I have found that I am not getting any power to the actual fuse (#3) for the washers. I would assume that this would come before the relay? If thats the case what would be preventing power getting the the fuse initially?? Could it be a fault code somewhere?

kwan
12-25-2007, 01:05 PM
OK, after some investigation I have found that I am not getting any power to the actual fuse (#3) for the washers. I would assume that this would come before the relay? If thats the case what would be preventing power getting the the fuse initially?? Could it be a fault code somewhere?

So with key in the on position, headlights on and holding back on the washer stalk you get no reading?

BADB5A4
12-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Yes with key and lights on and while the windshield washer is spraying there is no voltage reading at the headlight washer fuse[confused]

kwan
12-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Well I'm looking at the wiring diagram right now. The relay for headlight washers gets it's signal from E4 (headlight dimmer/flasher switch, which is basically headlight switch), the relay J31 then provides the power for the headlight washer pump. Without fuse 3 your lights wouldn't be working. When doing a voltage check just place the ground end on the door latch. Also make sure you have good contact, a needle or pin works great to get in tight spots.

BADB5A4
12-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Kwan,
Thanks for the info. Previously I had just inserted both ends into the fuse holder itself, your saying that I might not get an accurate reading with this? I will try grounding it somewhere else and see if that helps. Do you know where the relays are even located? I thought it was in the black box in front of the driver in the engine bay but that looks to be ABS related..

On a side note: When installing the fog light I accidentally blew the fuse for the fogs. Technically this shouldnt have affected anything other than blowing the fuse right? Thanks

kwan
12-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Yea fuses are there for that reason. They're rated for a certain load amount and break the circuit to prevent any real damage. Majority of the relays are located beneath the driver's side under panel. Here's the diagram for the headlight washers.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1628/shot0046wh8.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3804/shot0047sf3.jpg
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1989/shot0048ek3.jpg

Stampy
12-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Headlight washers are required by law on cars that have HID headlights from the factory. I'm not really sure why they were included on the halogen models, other than its probably a euro thing..

The heat output of the HID bulb is a lot lower than that of a standard halogen, therefore not putting out enough heat to melt the snow and ice that build up over the winter.

I have found that they are very helpful in clearing the headlights off. With the weather here and the salt, I used to have to wipe my headlights off every time I pulled into the garage to actually see anything at night. Now with the built in washers I can just spray them and they are clean.

In Europe cars with HID's are required to have Leveling motors and washers. The washers are for reducing glare from buildup on the lights since HID's are so much brighter. The motors serve the same purpose. Thats for Europe. The US has shitty DOT regulations, so we don't have all that crap

BADB5A4
12-29-2007, 06:51 AM
I did some investigating yesterday. The fuse has power, the relay clicks when the lights are on and the washer is activated, and when all is by passed, the washers work fine. This is really confusing, I am beginning to think I stumbled onto somewhat of a hidden gremlin in my car. I am really contemplating wiring in a small hide-able switch somewhere and using that to activate them.

Another issue came up with the fogs. While in there, I had planned to do the independent mod to use them separately from the headlights. I located another 12v switched source (rear wiper) and wired it in. Now the light for the button will come on anytime but as well as the rear fog, but the fronts still only work with the headlights. Now I remember why I try to stay away from electrical issues and cars..[headbang]

onemoremile
12-29-2007, 07:29 AM
They really help with salty winter freeways and highways. I got home from snowboarding the other night and my headlights were completely frosted over with salt. Still, I haven't used them enough to justify them and the bumper has been smoothed and filled.

onemoremile
12-29-2007, 07:30 AM
The Euro leveling motors do not reduce glare. They are there to allow for better conditional lighting. Since HID glare comes from the edges of the light output, tilting them down slightly could make the glare worse.

Black_97 A4
12-29-2007, 07:43 AM
i wish there was a way to only have them come on when you want them to.. instaed of all the time when the lights are on.

BADB5A4
12-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Thats what I am thinking of doing. It would be real easy to wire in a switch in-line and just hide it under the dash panel. Then you really would have complete control

bender
12-30-2007, 11:54 AM
There are two washer pumps in our cars, one for the windshield, one for the headlight. The lower positioned headlight pump cracks easily, and when it cracks all the fluid leaks out. A headlight washer pump is about $50 and it's a 30 min job for the replacement. I yanked my pump out along with the the tubings and other associated stuff in the bumper when mine failed. Saved about 2 lbs I think. [:D]