PDA

View Full Version : clicking under engine

S4 in_lowplaces
10-25-2006, 12:04 AM
i havent started my car in about a month and today i start it and tart hearing a clicking. i check my oil and it was super low. does anyone know if that clicking was my valves, or could it be somthing else from not starting it up in a while

Neo1130
10-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Did it go away? Alot of the time if a car hasn't sat in a while, oil will drain out of a few places and take a few minutes to build back up such as in the cam chain tensioner...

iowaboostin
10-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Could be lifter tick if it hasn't been started recently.. a lot depends on if it went away though like neo said.

Daft
10-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Yeah the lifters would be my bet. Once they are empty they will be loud as hell.

ceas
10-25-2006, 10:13 AM
I got this before my timing belt broke..

iowaboostin
10-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by ceas
I got this before my timing belt broke..
Lifter tick, hell any tick, has nothing to do with a timing belt.

edit - of course when your t-belt snaps.. you might hear a piston/valve ticking noise [:p]

*knock on wood, I'm a couple weeks away from doing my t-belt, I don't have the best of luck and I can just see it skipping teeth/snapping right before I change it.

SFexBOY
10-25-2006, 11:09 AM
my lifters tick, and have been for at least the past 50K miles. If it isn't abnormally loud, I wouldn't worry about it. Seems to be pretty common for our cars.

nizmosx
10-25-2006, 11:21 AM
just to make sure people know he has an s4 not an a4.

just letting you guys know in case you didnt already.

haha it was posted in the wrong forum.

S4 in_lowplaces
10-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx
just to make sure people know he has an s4 not an a4.

just letting you guys know in case you didnt already.

haha it was posted in the wrong forum.

^^^ he is correct , but i didnt post in wrong forum i ment to post here if you go to the b5s4 forum i posted it in there also, i figured somebody must know somthing, i also posted it in the so cal forum, any ways i found out that i had an oil leak due to the bolt not being on all the way. I bought 3 quarts of mobile one this morning and the ticking went away. I was right, it was my valves making that noise. atl east i didnt drive the car like that. (that woudl have ben bad), But i appreciate everyones help and response on this good bye