PDA

View Full Version : Xenon High Beams?

EnjoyIncs
10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Hello all, I live in a very wooded area, there are no street lights what so ever. And I need some more light output. I was thinking of putting some H7 3000k Xenon’s in my high beams. I like having my fogs on and I think if I put Xenon’s in there they would be to bright for regular driving. So i guess my question is, has anyone done this? I don’t really care about my ballast or bulbs getting worn out due to flashing people because I can’t remember the last time i did flash someone.

Just looking for some input.

Thanks,

Collin

IKE20VA4
10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
I would go with 4100k. 3000k is pretty, but unless your fighting fog, which hopefully you won't be doing with high beams, 4100k will be your best bet. I'm in the middle of putting another pair of projectors in the high beams and just aiming them higher...then putting HID in them.

EnjoyIncs
10-24-2006, 11:51 AM
I thought the lower the K the more lumes(spell?) they put out, there for more light. I was also thinking of going with a 55w not the regular 35w.

e.van
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
The lower the color temp the more light they will put out, yes. Unless you spend $$$ on some really nice HIDs, a 3000k kit is simply 4300k's with a yellow coating. They aren't really any brighter. Either way though, 'cause yellow = hot!

MR VTEC
10-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by EnjoyIncs
Hello all, I live in a very wooded area, there are no street lights what so ever. And I need some more light output. I was thinking of putting some H7 3000k Xenon’s in my high beams. I like having my fogs on and I think if I put Xenon’s in there they would be to bright for regular driving. So i guess my question is, has anyone done this? I don’t really care about my ballast or bulbs getting worn out due to flashing people because I can’t remember the last time i did flash someone.

Just looking for some input.

Thanks,

Collin
What you have proposed is useless...
Why wouldn't your regular higbeams suffice for a dark road with no lights on it??? Do you have some extra teresterial (sp?) creatures stealing your light out there??? [confused]

It is possible but you are putting a xenon in a reflector housing meaning light will go everywhere and not directed as if it were in a projector lense.

Why not install xenon for your driving lights? if you already have xenon driving lights then this makes the question that much more useless.
Trying to flash people with xenon's will be useless especially since they have to warm up to temp, and constant off and on with deteriorate the bulb life.

Long story short
yes u can do it, but it makes no sense. if want extra xenon put it in your fogs, if not get hyper white bulbs for your brights and save your money....

(And i was being nice) [;)]

MR VTEC
10-24-2006, 02:39 PM
I thought the lower the K the more lumes(spell?) they put out, there for more light. I was also thinking of going with a 55w not the regular 35w.
My bad you should have stated before you were going for the xenon look and not actual xenon's. that would have saved me 30 seconds typing the previous post...
[;)]

IKE20VA4
10-24-2006, 03:48 PM
They do make 55w xenon kits too. Anyways...Yeah, the 3000k are just yellow coated 4500k bulbs...so with a tint on them at will actually filter out light. Trust me, I have had both and the 4100k are definitely brighter. That's what I'm going to put in my highs anyways.

AudiSport12
10-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
What you have proposed is useless...
Why wouldn't your regular higbeams suffice for a dark road with no lights on it??? Do you have some extra teresterial (sp?) creatures stealing your light out there??? [confused]

It is possible but you are putting a xenon in a reflector housing meaning light will go everywhere and not directed as if it were in a projector lense.

Why not install xenon for your driving lights? if you already have xenon driving lights then this makes the question that much more useless.
Trying to flash people with xenon's will be useless especially since they have to warm up to temp, and constant off and on with deteriorate the bulb life.

Long story short
yes u can do it, but it makes no sense. if want extra xenon put it in your fogs, if not get hyper white bulbs for your brights and save your money....

(And i was being nice) [;)]

well since he stated that he lived in highly wooded areas with no street lights or anything, putting in HID's in his brights would be much brighter than the stock halogens used in his brights thus lighting up the road better. and he was saying that he didnt have to worry about flashing people because he never relly did it anyways.
putting HID's in his fogs would be good, but the road would be lit up much better with HID's in his brights, no?
or am i misunterstanding something here?

d_maniac
10-24-2006, 09:33 PM
just get hids for all three fogs,lows and highs..

IKE20VA4
10-24-2006, 09:43 PM
^^^ yeah...(what I'm doing) to each their own though!

WhiteQuattro1.8
10-24-2006, 09:50 PM
HA HA this thread is all A$$ backwards with peoples responce. Go ahead and put 4300k HIDs into your highs. Put I also insist on installing 3000K HIDs into your fogs. Its hell sexy ! !

EnjoyIncs
10-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Wow this did get kind of turned around. Oh well I still got some good feed back. So I’m guessing no one has put Xenon’s striate in the high beam housing? And it doesn’t make any since to me why the light would be any more scattered when the Xenon bulb is just going in the same place as the Halogen one. I know the Xenon bulb is a little longer but that shouldn’t matter. Would it just be more apparent because it’s brighter?

WhiteQuattro do you drive around with your Xenon fogs on in the city?

d_maniac
10-25-2006, 06:54 AM
i drive around with the xenon fogs and lowbeams everywhere and i live in a well lit city....i aim the lowbeams alittle higher since i have xenon fogs though.

EVIL-AUDI
10-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Flashing with xenon highbeams would be affected.

MR VTEC
10-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by audisport12
well since he stated that he lived in highly wooded areas with no street lights or anything, putting in HID's in his brights would be much brighter than the stock halogens used in his brights thus lighting up the road better. and he was saying that he didnt have to worry about flashing people because he never relly did it anyways.
putting HID's in his fogs would be good, but the road would be lit up much better with HID's in his brights, no?
or am i misunterstanding something here?
get a flash light stand and turn it on in a room that already has all the lights on it doesn't seem to be effective but once you turrn off all the lights that same light output is more than noticable and also allows you to see.

So i was saying that if it's pitch black then your driving lights and highbeam combination should suffice.

putting hids in your highbeam would shoot the light farther but is the money worth the upgrade???

bitterchild
10-25-2006, 09:42 AM
oem audi bixenon headlamps still retain halogen bulbs for high beam use. Instead they alter the pattern of the normal driving xenon lamp whenever the high beam is engaged in addition to the traditional halogen high beam.

Collin, do you have hid lowbeams?

EnjoyIncs
10-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Yes i do. I did the fog light mod so my HIDs and fogs stay on with my high beams and I still wish I had more. I must be blind haha.

RippleChip
10-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Time for 100w rally lights.

Had those on my brothers truck and that thing in the middle of nowhere was awesome.

Unless you go crazy with serious output, there is always the potential of outdriving your lights. That to me is what it sounds like you're encountering. I don't think HIDs in the high beams are going to change it drastically.

Daft
10-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm pretty familiar with the need for as much light as possible. I'm in the middle of the damn woods out here and once the sun sets, it's pitch black outside.

Basically, even with my HID low beams, the cutoff pattern makes it hard to see really far down the road. I'd adjust them higher but, I don't have an auto-leveling system in my car so I'd be blinding people all the time.

As far as putting HID bulbs into the high-beam reflector, I'd say don't bother. HID bulbs are designed to focus their light from one side only. and the reflector is designed for a halogen bulb that will provide even light from all angles. It will provide light but, it won't be as bright as it could be. Kind of a waste of time and money if you ask me.

I've always wanted to rip open my housings and implant a set of bi-xenon projectors. This is the best solution because you have a single projector that does both funtions without loosing light quality or risking a damaged bulb/ballast.

The type of projector I'm mentioning has a hinged cutoff shield with an electronic actuator attached to it. You attach the actuators wires to the high beam wire in the headlamp and when you pull the stalk for your highbeams, the shiled flips down and lets the projector spray light on the whole area in front of the car. The only problem I've seen is that the projectors are a tad larger than the Valeo ones and fitment might be tricky.

MR VTEC
10-25-2006, 10:12 AM
DAMN yall must live in the sticks... [:p]

Daft
10-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
DAMN yall must live in the sticks... [:p]

Dude, I have bears and coyotes in my back yard sometimes...

It's really rural out here.[:D]

EnjoyIncs
10-25-2006, 10:27 AM
I have a few friends form school that grew up and live in the city (Boston). And when they come out here they refuse to drive at night because they say they cant see anything cuz there are no street lights.

MR VTEC
10-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Daft
Dude, I have bears and coyotes in my back yard sometimes...

It's really rural out here.[:D]
Yowsa... I wouldn't like that sh!t at all... Maybe for a summer / winter home but not for everyday living... [eek]

I have a few friends form school that grew up and live in the city (Boston). And when they come out here they refuse to drive at night because they say they cant see anything cuz there are no street lights.
[eek] I wouldn't either... I've seen the original Texas chainsaw massacre, it can happen any where...