PDA

View Full Version : Trying to wire up an external DVD player to work with RNS-E

CyberPMG
10-24-2006, 07:47 AM
I was able to wire up the ME3 player, but I was reviewing the pin connector to the back of the RNS-E and check out the block for the power connections. I reviewed the document TeddyBGame wrote on installing the RNS-E to an C5 A6 which had a great couple of pages going over the pin assignments to the connector. I also went back to my installation instructions for my Dietz 1417 adapter to review the wiring connections made.

Pin 15 is the constant 12v power line that I've also used with the Dietz adapter. The document mentions pin 13 as a "Radio On" and is viewed as a remote "on" for the rear amp. Would this pin be a switched power source?

I was thinking that instead of running wires all the way over to the driver's side, would it make sense to splice into pin 15 for constant power and pin 13 for switched power? I was still planning to use a separate ground for the ME3 player. Would this work or would I run into issues?

I would also post this over at NAVplus.us, but I've been waiting for months to get the email to activate my user account. [headbang]

CO AVANT
10-24-2006, 09:35 AM
it seems to me like pin 13 would be switched on power. It should work in theory. I hooked mine up pretty easy. Any reason you didn't want to wire it up like my DIY pointed out?

CyberPMG
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Your DIY included the Dietz 1280 adapter and switch. I don't have that. I intend to contact PROXUS sometime in Spring and do a road trip to Chicago and have the RNS-E recoded so I wouldn't need any video-in-motion adapter. Since I didn't have a switch button, I couldn't use that for my switched power source.

I'll try pin 13 tonight and see what happens. If this works, then I should have full use of the dvd player once I hit the power button of the RNS-E HU. Thanks! [up]

CO AVANT
10-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Don't know if you will like having the dvd player on all the time though when the rns-e is on. Those DVD players get hot jammed in that little cubby hole in the glovebox. I'd suggest doing the air-cooled glovebox mod for ~$40. I've heard that if the dvd player is on while you are trying to use navigation that it can mess things up with the nav functionality.

Switch button can be bought at any Autozone for $5. You can even pick up extra wiring there too. You don't have to mount the switch where mine is mounted. You can always mount it on the blank flat part right next to where the dyd player sits in the glovebox.

CyberPMG
10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
My understanding is that with the reflash, the dvd won't interfere with nav.

Where things would heat up would be when the motor and lens were actively working when a disc is in. If there's no disc, then there's nothing for the player to do. You'll have a little bit of power (and heat) with the front display, but that should be it.

There's also a power button for the ME3 on the player and on the remote. The player will automatically power on when you feed it a disc. If you power it off (standby), it will remain there until activated (either by inserting a disc or by one of the two power buttons).

Once things are operational, I'll check on any heat buildup. If it gets toasty, I'll add a switch and throw it on the flat spot in the glove box like you've mentioned.

Other question... for the wired IR remote sensor, I was looking to find a discrete location for it while maintaining my OEM appearance. I was wondering about placing it inside the center vent (where I have my boost gauge). Would the slats cause too much interference from receiving the IR signal?

CO AVANT
10-24-2006, 12:26 PM
I placed mine on the kick panel by the passengers feet. Got it right up in the corner where you can barely see it but still functions 100%.

CO AVANT
10-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Keep me updated. I'd really like to see if this reflash works without a glitch.

CyberPMG
10-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by CO AVANT
Keep me updated. I'd really like to see if this reflash works without a glitch.

Will do. [up]

PROXUS
10-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by CO AVANT
I've heard that if the dvd player is on while you are trying to use navigation that it can mess things up with the nav functionality.

Not if you have unlocked video-in-motion.
Before people used Dietz 1280 with switch but now there is cheaper and better software based solution.

You can have your unit unlocked for video signals.

CyberPMG
10-24-2006, 01:24 PM
^^^and that's what I intend to do... just not right away.

CyberPMG
10-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Well I found out that pin 13 is only designed to power the rear amp. When I spliced in the switched power line, I ended up with no power to the dvd player and no sound from the RNS-E.

I did splice the switched power line to the constant power line to test out the dvd player. Got audio and video, but the audio was grainy and the video was a little wavy. Turns out the RCA connectors to the dvd player are bad. With bad connectors and inoperative remote control, I'm going to look for a dvd player that is in working order before installing.

The Dietz 1417 adapter works perfectly. So for now, the dvd player remains in the glove box (to block the hole in the back) with it completely disconnected.

When I do get a new dvd player, I'll tap into the constant power line to the RNS-E and then build a switch for the switched power line and control that from within the glovebox.

While I don't have full multimedia right now, I at least was able to learn more about the wiring of the RNS-E system.

JMRA4
11-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by PROXUS
Not if you have unlocked video-in-motion.
Before people used Dietz 1280 with switch but now there is cheaper and better software based solution.

You can have your unit unlocked for video signals.

so then all i would need is the dietz 1417 and dvd player, and get it unlocked for video in motion?

No dietz 1280 or any switches? where can i get it unlocked? i live in NY. Really want to get t his done. Please help

CO AVANT
11-02-2006, 08:22 AM
I still am wondering about this. So Proxus you're saying this way everything will work the same. Got that, but would there be no way to completely turn off the external dvd player if the car is on? That kinda sucks IMO.

PROXUS
11-29-2006, 07:26 PM
JMRA4 just send me your unit and I will unlock it.
contact me for more details.

CO AVANT
Yes you can...you can choose to wire power source from glovebox light or fusebox or main power grid. It is up to you.

teddybgame
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by CyberPMG
Well I found out that pin 13 is only designed to power the rear amp. When I spliced in the switched power line, I ended up with no power to the dvd player and no sound from the RNS-E.

I did splice the switched power line to the constant power line to test out the dvd player. Got audio and video, but the audio was grainy and the video was a little wavy. Turns out the RCA connectors to the dvd player are bad. With bad connectors and inoperative remote control, I'm going to look for a dvd player that is in working order before installing.

The Dietz 1417 adapter works perfectly. So for now, the dvd player remains in the glove box (to block the hole in the back) with it completely disconnected.

When I do get a new dvd player, I'll tap into the constant power line to the RNS-E and then build a switch for the switched power line and control that from within the glovebox.

While I don't have full multimedia right now, I at least was able to learn more about the wiring of the RNS-E system.

Glad my pdf was useful. It is mostly focused on the C5/B5 crowd...but can be useful for other models (B6, B7 etc).

http://www.nsxjr.com/ted/TED_RNS_E.pdf

The RNSE has an ignition power output for the glovebox CD changer...or used for ipod interface. If you aren't using any of these, you could probably get a way with using this source for the ME3. The ME3 will probably require the same amount of juice as the oem glovebox changer etc.

Look at my pdf again, it will be the CDC ACC pin (B-10, I think).

Good luck!
-Ted

CyberPMG
12-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks! Your documentation has been most helpful! [az]

I completed the install by getting a nice blue LED switch with one end to the constant power line, and one to the DVD player. The LED switch and the player use a separate common ground over in the glovebox area.

Here's a few pics...

http://fatrings.smugmug.com/photos/116338670-M.jpg

http://fatrings.smugmug.com/photos/116338715-M.jpg

http://fatrings.smugmug.com/photos/116338791-M.jpg

When the switch is on...

http://fatrings.smugmug.com/photos/116338825-M.jpg

http://fatrings.smugmug.com/photos/116338146-M.jpg

http://fatrings.smugmug.com/photos/116338205-M.jpg

http://fatrings.smugmug.com/photos/116338445-M.jpg

I was also able to hide the iR sensor behind the center vent (where I have the boost gauge) to keep things neat and tidy. One thing I still want to do is to split from the main radio antenna and use it not only for radio reception, but also for TV reception since the TV antenna that comes with the kit isn't that great.

Benario
12-12-2006, 11:18 PM
this is something that i MUST due sry i am a noob.

so what do i need to do this
i have a rnse is all i need is a dvd player and i can wire it up or do i need something ells like a tv tuner.

is there a DIY to do this thanks guys
Omri

CO AVANT
12-13-2006, 11:40 AM
this is something that i MUST due sry i am a noob.

so what do i need to do this
i have a rnse is all i need is a dvd player and i can wire it up or do i need something ells like a tv tuner.

is there a DIY to do this thanks guys
Omri

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90275

Benario
12-13-2006, 08:14 PM
thanks

do you know of a link where i can get the parts needed for the install and about how much the whole thing is going to run me thanks alot
Omri

CO AVANT
12-14-2006, 09:24 AM
PM German Driver......he can get you both Dietz modules you will need for install. Proxus might be able to help you out as well.

You can also try here.....
http://www.navplus.us/forum/index.php

teddybgame
12-16-2006, 10:26 PM
cyberpmg,
the existing factory diversity AM/FM cannot be used with the tv antenna system frim the ME3. Two different systems. Best thing to try is some kind of amplified antenna that works with a F-type connector (cable coax). They will be better than the antenna that is supplied with the ME3...but not by much. The best that I could do in the Boston area was to get 4-5 channels.

I'll be pulling out my ME3 and selling it sometime very soon. I prefer to have the OEM TV tuner that works with the RNSE (enroute from Germany as we speak) because:
1) it can be controlled/integrated with the RNSE and the MF steering wheel
2) it leverages the diversity antenna system in the rear glass
3) has two sets of A/V inputs

The parts aren't cheap...but if you can grab one ebay, you can source all the parts for under $1K.

Good luck!