PDA

View Full Version : Turn signals die out *help*

Diesel_A4
10-24-2006, 06:13 AM
This is strange..the bulbs in my turn signals are fine. They flash when you hit the alarm, and work for about half a second and then just turn off.

If the radio is on, with the heat they wont work at all. But if the heat is off and you hit the turn signal right or left, it works for maybe half a second than turns off. Any idea what this could be?! Ive got 2 amps and a full system in the car. But the headlights and interior lights never dim or go out at all.

If a fuse was blown, they would not work at all id assume..but its really confusing because they still go on for maybe half a second before they stop working. And if you put the signal right back on..they dont come on at all, but if you wait a couple seconds they will again come on for half a second or so than go out

Anyone have any idea?!
thanks

badassbaldie
10-24-2006, 06:54 AM
That is strange...Maybe some sort of a relay issue? I'm only speculating...

MasterKenobi
10-24-2006, 07:13 AM
I had the same problem a few years ago, but my car was under warranty so the dealership fixed it for free. Yeah, they told me it was a relay problem, but after 2 years of it being fixed it started to not work again. Since I not under warranty anymore, I just dont use my signals any more. But sometimes it will work, other times it won't.

Rons01B5
10-24-2006, 07:27 AM
2 of my friends had this problem on their vdubs, it was a faulty hazzard light switch which was covered under a recall

Diesel_A4
10-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Anybody know of a way to fix this without dealing with a dealership?! Really dont wanna take it there because I dont have a warrenty and they would charge me something ridiculous I assume.

mattarios2
10-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey guys i am new to the site I am from audiworld I will be on audiworld most of the time but i figured i could help you guys out here whenever i can( won't be too often) I paid 25 bucks for the part at the dealership1stvwparts has it for 14.99 and the p/n is 8d0 941 509 h

mattarios2
10-24-2006, 10:10 AM
take a screwdriver cover it with a towel and pop off the black(or whatever color your car interior is) plate around the buttons. Then take 2 screw drivers toss one in each side of the hazzard switch and push out while pulling on the hazzard button. It will slide out, unclip the connector pop new one in and reassemble. DONE for 15 bucks + shipping

10-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Yep. It sounds like a faulty hazard switch relay. Mine did that too. I think I paid around 30 bucks, maybe less, but anyways from the dealer.
The center console pops right out and you put the new sucker back in and its all done.

loustylez
10-24-2006, 05:03 PM
had the same problem. hazard switch. shop did it with some other shit i had done. wasn't too expensive though.

EDM
10-24-2006, 05:07 PM
I would change the relay, mine started to go like that and one day just stopped.

NogaroA4
11-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Another side note to this thread...Just becuase your fourways work doesnt mean that the relay is still good. I just had this happen to my car, and since I could still use my fourways I thought that the relay was good, after replacing my turnsignals I relized that it was actually the relay.