PDA

View Full Version : Lost Second Gear?!

ActiveMonkey
10-24-2006, 01:22 AM
I was getting on a freeway on ramp in 2nd gear so I floored it and *Bang* no power… Somehow I was pushed out of 2nd gear. I put it in 3rd and went on my way, but took it very easy. On the way back I got off the freeway, downshifted into 2nd and started to accelerate when *Bang* I was knocked out of 2nd again. Got down the street to a stop light and waited for a second. GREEN. 1st gear ok, 2nd gear for about 1 second then *Bang* knocked out again. The rest of the way home I skipped 2nd gear. Wtf happened?

Bad linkage cause of old crappy motor mounts?
Input gear bearing retainer broken or loose?
Or did i just lose 2nd gear?
Maybe even a clutch issue?

Any ideas?

ActiveMonkey
10-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Anyone?

Burntaudi
10-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Shifter might be out of adjustment and not fully engaging 2nd gear or your second gear syncro is worn and not holding the gear.

ActiveMonkey
10-24-2006, 08:02 AM
i know that the 2nd gear syncro was bad, but i thought that only effected how it went into that gear. I dunno...

mike-2ptzero
10-24-2006, 08:18 AM
It can cause it to kick out of gear, others have had that same problem when the syncro went. So it is time for a new trans, you can find them at the yards or if you want you can always buy my stock 1.8 trans.

ActiveMonkey
10-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Can't i just have the syncro replaced? It will go in just fine, i can fully release the clutch. It's just when i press the gas that it pops out.

If worse comes to worse i could go 2.8 trans?

ActiveMonkey
10-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Called a place and it would be ~600 for them to replace the 2nd gear syncro...

aRIf
10-24-2006, 10:25 AM
any good junk yards online for audi parts ?

ActiveMonkey
10-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Called Stasis and they don't do the 5speed, only the 6 speed. They said i could leave it there and have a tech do it as a side job, but i might take a week or two.

mike-2ptzero
10-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by ActiveMonkey
Called a place and it would be ~600 for them to replace the 2nd gear syncro...

Was that for just the part or all of the labor even removing/reinstalling the trans?

lovintheboost
10-24-2006, 04:02 PM
exact same problem happened to me had to get a new tranny because i drove on it so long after the problem. if you have the cash get it fixed asap

ActiveMonkey
10-25-2006, 07:51 AM
What did they say was the problem?

Adjusted the shifter and no luck.

So i can downshift into second, and release the clutch and it works just fine.
If i go slow i can lut it into second and hold the shifter there, but if i let go it will pop out.
And it shifts into second with out any type of grinding.

I don't think it can be the 2nd gear itself because i can down shift into it perfectly.
It can't be the Syncro because it goes into it perfectly.

Only when i give the car can and it's in second that it pops out.

Any other ideas of what it might be?

agentsmith988
10-25-2006, 08:29 AM
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me! They had to replace the transmission...costed me 1300 total for the tranny and labor. When you get the new transmission in...make sure your linkage is set right because I'm almost positive it has something to do with it going out prematurely.

You're not going to find anyone that works on our trannys, I searched everywhere.

And while the transmission is off, I recommend installing a new clutch kit (got my SACHS/LUKS kit of eBay for $170 and have not has ANY problems) and a new flywheel (rare to find anyone to resurface ours, got mine for 100 bucks from a local junkyard). Good luck!!

ActiveMonkey
10-25-2006, 09:15 AM
1300 for a new Transmission and Labor?

mike-2ptzero
10-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by agentsmith988
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me! They had to replace the transmission...costed me 1300 total for the tranny and labor. When you get the new transmission in...make sure your linkage is set right because I'm almost positive it has something to do with it going out prematurely.

You're not going to find anyone that works on our trannys, I searched everywhere.

And while the transmission is off, I recommend installing a new clutch kit (got my SACHS/LUKS kit of eBay for $170 and have not has ANY problems) and a new flywheel (rare to find anyone to resurface ours, got mine for 100 bucks from a local junkyard). Good luck!!

Only person I know of that used to rebuild the 1.8 trans was Mat from Induktion Motorsports but he no longer works at that shop.

BTW if you want to know why it pops out of gear talk to Tim at TJM, this is exactly what his 1.8 trans started doing on his A4 race car. Pretty sure the syncro also holds it in gear too.

ActiveMonkey
10-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Might you know his phone number/e-mail?

mike-2ptzero
10-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by ActiveMonkey
Might you know his phone number/e-mail?

Dont think it would be worth it seeing that he lives in VA.

ActiveMonkey
10-25-2006, 11:29 AM
worth asking him what was wrong? I just don't want to buy a new transmission if i don't have to.

Eurotuned_A4
10-25-2006, 12:12 PM
mine is only kinda hard to get into 2nd sometimes.....is that how the issue started?

ActiveMonkey
10-25-2006, 02:16 PM
That's how it started.

Hard to get in, but you could to it, especially if you rev matched.
Then the problem went away
then no more 2nd gear.

Eurotuned_A4
10-25-2006, 02:37 PM
its not that hard to get in, and its not everytime. it barely happens. im sure this is my problem though. sounds like i have some time left on it so its no biggy. plus, i havent had to put money into the car for maintenance for a while(except the carappy SPEc clutch that went out) so its not that bad. my car has almost 120,000 miles on the clock so its not bad. plus, i drive the shit out of it sometimes....a lot of the time. if it needs replacing, i will replace it. the car is gonna need new things eventually, so i dont mind. ill probably get the 2.8 transmission for the extra money though. it would be worth it!!

turboquattro068
10-25-2006, 02:50 PM
has anyone ever rigged vr6 gearing into our cars with a BT, i think that would be nasty? or are the 2.8 very similar

mike-2ptzero
10-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by turboquattro068
has anyone ever rigged vr6 gearing into our cars with a BT, i think that would be nasty? or are the 2.8 very similar

2.8 is pretty close to it. With my car going to 8k rpm I was able to gain 15mph at the top of 3rd gear(went from 100 to 115 mph).

Eurotuned_A4 - Does it happen at low or high rpm? Some performance clutch setups will cause it to be hard to get into gear during very high rpm like during a hard pull or racing. It can also be the disk expanding when it heats up which can cause it to be harder to get into gear since it hasn't fully released with the pedal to the floor. I have had some of those problems with the B6's running the high end SB clutch kits.

ActiveMonkey
10-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Checked the Short Throw Shifter linkage incase that was messed up somehow, but it was in good shape.

Damn this is pissing me off.

lovintheboost
10-27-2006, 03:54 PM
mine started just like youre describing eurotuneda4 but i thrash my car... didnt know how to heal and toe my first couple track days and down shifting like that is what did mine in, if you find a good deal on a 2.8 tranny you might want to pick it up

dont mean to thread jack but euro you should give me a call before quattrofest

ActiveMonkey
10-27-2006, 06:12 PM
But what would cause it. The only think i can think of is something with the linkage...

lovintheboost
10-27-2006, 06:22 PM
it seems pretty common with our transmissions. i think it just wears out around 100k miles... depending on how you drive ofcourse. but i think they were just built with synchros that dont take punishment well

ActiveMonkey
10-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
if you want you can always buy my stock 1.8 trans.

Do you still have it and is it in good shape?

xr4tic
10-30-2006, 01:50 PM
yeah, your synchro and/or slider is probably shot, thats what happened to mine, I had the exact same symptoms. I even tried holding it in gear, no dice.

It's a good excuse to "upgrade" to the 2.8 trans. It's not any stronger, but the gear ratios are nicer

Sydeshow MO
10-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Check in RANCHO CORDOVA... Just call 411 and ask for an Audi dismantler or German Auto Salvage. There are two good places there. Dont bother with the guys in Berkeley as they have never taken apart an A4 yet.

Eurotuned_A4
10-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero

Eurotuned_A4 - Does it happen at low or high rpm? Some performance clutch setups will cause it to be hard to get into gear during very high rpm like during a hard pull or racing. It can also be the disk expanding when it heats up which can cause it to be harder to get into gear since it hasn't fully released with the pedal to the floor. I have had some of those problems with the B6's running the high end SB clutch kits.

thanks mike. my car mostly does it at low rpms when im just doing normal driving, but its not a normal occurance....only sometimes. it just does it once, and then goes away and i dont know what to think.....i dont think it has ever done it when im driving the car hard.

lovintheboost, i pmed you back but you never replied. i dont know when quattrofest is/or was.

mike-2ptzero
10-31-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Eurotuned_A4
thanks mike. my car mostly does it at low rpms when im just doing normal driving, but its not a normal occurance....only sometimes. it just does it once, and then goes away and i dont know what to think.....i dont think it has ever done it when im driving the car hard.

lovintheboost, i pmed you back but you never replied. i dont know when quattrofest is/or was.

Have you ever changed the fluid in the trans? If you haven't you might want to do it now and use some from Redline.

Eurotuned_A4
10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
i havent, but i was thinking its about time to. ill get that changed ASAP.

A4 TSCHUSS
11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
I just posted a thread about this in the B6 forum http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102762 I was shifting to 2nd and though I must not have put it all the way in gear because it banged and popped out, but I am pretty sure I put it back in 2nd gear and sped up then shifted to 3rd and went another 20 miles before I tried 2nd again and then it wouldnt work and like you it kept popping out and I couldnt even hold it in gear.

The most common problem that happens when the car pops out of gear is that the bearing has worn and causes play so there isnt pressure to hold it in place. It is NOT a syncro because all a syncro does is presses a collar against the next gear to speed the gear up before the gear engages. It doesn't hold the gear in place. I asked in my post if anyone had this problem and what exactly ended up being the problem, but I have a feeling I will just have to take out my trans and tear it apart and look for something wrong, which like I said the most common problem is a bearing has worn and caused play since all the stuff is on one shaft.

ActiveMonkey
11-05-2006, 07:16 PM
that sucks so bad

hopefully yours isn't as bad as mine.