PDA

View Full Version : My opinion on 1.8Ts

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 01:12 AM
I am new so don't flame me. but after reading up.. it looks like the audi.vw 1.8t is not a race engine. at least not built for it.. its a great daily driver for sure and when chip the added low end tq makes it even more fun to drive around with its luxury and class.

i give audis a thumbs up. but other than a chip maybe an exhaust in the future i see no reason to mod it anymore. it'll be a great dd.. maybe a k04.. need to get more info on this..

anyways i am going to pickup a 2000 a4 1.8t quattro.. i love the car when i test drove it.. looking forward getting to know you all better and learning about the audi history and its engine and cars. [drive]

werksmini
10-24-2006, 01:21 AM
wonderful

arizona steve
10-24-2006, 01:24 AM
right on.

quattro_maniac
10-24-2006, 03:54 AM
what exactly would you consider is a "race engine"?

1 ate T
10-24-2006, 05:28 AM
you obviously haven't done your research.

good luck on the purchase [up]

aRIf
10-24-2006, 05:51 AM
It is just 1.8, can deliever over 400hp with stock internals. What else you can want from a engine ?

I'm not sure what do you mean by "race engine" but Audi has everything I need.

Plus I am not try to build/own 8sec race car.

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 05:53 AM
Anything can be a race engine with enough time and money. The 1.8t is a very nicely built engine that has handled a lot of power and takes mods well. Even with a TIP, all you need is some tranny work/valve body mods and you're able to handle a lot of power--and the TIP is one of the weakest parts of the 1.8t. Sure, a 2JZ can handle 600+whp on the stock bottom end but you're spending $25k+ minimum and still running 12's. The SR20DET is a high-revving, high-output motor..but you're driving a friggin' Honda, *edit* NISSAN (I'm a failure.) and probably too busy to be on the forumz cause joor omgz driftings yo!. The 4g63 handles mods great and can run 12's with very minimal work and money but you're always gonna be on the side of the road because it's the most unreliable thing you've ever driven. Audi's are pretty luxury like you said, and with less than $10k into mods you're driving an extremely quick, classy car that maintains its reliability well, especially compared to others.

jcs4
10-24-2006, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by iowaboostin
The SR20DET is a high-revving, high-output motor..but you're driving a friggin' Honda.

You mean a NISSAN! [;)]
The 1.8T puts out great power for its size. For a turbo engine its very small compared to the new generation turbo motors that are a minimum 2.0 liters. Im glad this motor is an durable iron block and with a little cash very easy to fortify the bottom end. Thank god there are some decent turbo upgrades besides the K04 now.

MR VTEC
10-24-2006, 06:09 AM
i didn't know that VAG marketed the 1.8t to be a race engine... [rolleyes]

SilverB5
10-24-2006, 06:24 AM
The 1.8t can NEVAR lose

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by jcs4
You mean a NISSAN! [;)]
Doh! Fixed [:D]

Anyway, the 1.8t, 2JZ, 4g63, DET, RB, whatever was in the all-trac Celica that I can't remember the name, etc.... all good motors, I'm confused as to why LODOSS is saying it's not a "race motor." It's not meant to be from the factory, though we're lightyears ahead of a 420a/whatever else 120hp 4cyl with crappy internals. So what 'race motors' are you used to/thinking of? I just think that you need to ride in a fast Audi..

sean1.8t
10-24-2006, 08:20 AM
BT or bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

onemoremile
10-24-2006, 09:29 AM
go post the same thing in the vwvortex 1.8t engine forum.

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Oh yah i am not by all means dissing the 1.8t engine.. i love it and thus why i picked it over the 2.8 30v.. what i am saying the car is built with luxury and daily driving in mind.. good low end tq.. the tq curve falls flat on its ass .. veyr poorly when it is above 5000 rpm which is expected from a little turbo and that it does not have the ability to hold the boost. In order for this thing to go.. it does require quite a few mods.. min a turbo/fmic/inejctors/tuning/fuel pump upgrade.. the block is strong as mofo.. i admit but again its not just a car where you can put a few bolt ons and see it run 14's.

admit it or not the chipped 1.8t are not all that much faster then a non chipped one.. the real advatange of a chipped one is the low-mid range tq so in essence you get a much better initial lunch with a chipped 1.8t.. but once you get it going.. from 4000-6000 rpm. your looking at mabye 15-20 hp difference at most. and unfortunately when you are talking about speed thats where it counts upper RPM.

I don't drag or go high in the rpm much so cars like this.. is exactly what i want. K04 turbo will be in my future to do list for sure as it has great low/mid range and provide a bit more in the upper rpm ranges.

I currently have a single turbo 60-1 350z.. its probably one of the slowest turbo z's but its still quick compare to most cars.. prob run mid 12's. The tq curve is competely different than a car with a smaller turbo.. again its expected..

basically i am not saying the engine can't be a beast.. i am basically saying with basic mods, chip, bolts on.. no turbo upgrade.. your looking at a little tq monster and not a racer..

burner799
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
gee thanks for your opinion...so power only counts in upper rpm for speed huh? damn, the s2000 must be helllllla fast. OH and btw.....a few bolt ons and running 14's, i believe you can do that if you count a new turbo as a bolt on lol. Before being so bold and posting this kind of shit.....go use the search. read read read before you piss a ton of people off.

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
LOL how am i pissing people off? i am stating my opinion. its not like i am going around screaming audis suck or slow as ****.. i priase it for what it is and state the truth about it.

yes race cars are built with power in high RPM. the S2000 is fast for what it is.. it only has 160 lb of tq.. if the car can put down same amount of tq as an chipped a4 at its peak tq rpm the car would be well into the 300+.. the S2000 for what it is.. is a race car. even the Type R integra is built for racing <flaw is FF>. M3's Z's.. I mean you got cars built for high rpm high power.. and cars built for low end tq for great dialy driving.. and the A4 in design is built for DD.. i don't see how anyone can argue with me in terms of the main person of the A4.

Like i said the car moves great for daily driving but if this car was in anyways built for racing or 1/4 which is not.. then it would have its power band in the higher range. a bigger turbo. i understand there are limitations to the size of the engine.. for it being a 1.8 its a great car and engine for sure.

in terms of all the cars that are in the 12's 11's etc.. i am sure you seen their power curve.. peak tq becomes like 4000, 5000 + which does make it a fast car but then you lose the daily driving pleasure of what an A4 really is.. good low end response. if the engine was maybe 2.2 2.5 or even the 2.0 version it would adapt to the bigger tubos better i would think.

this is about car hp/tq concept and not regarding to any particular car and it snot about searching.. its just facts.

I am only referring to 1.8t's. i am sure the S4's.. RS4's have power output higher in the RPM range.

I think i indirectly put turbo out of the "bolt on" context.

it does require quite a few mods.. min a turbo/fmic/inejctors/tuning/fuel pump upgrade.. the block is strong as mofo.. i admit but again its not just a car where you can put a few bolt ons and see it run 14's.

1 ate T
10-24-2006, 12:26 PM
I want to take you to an autox and spank you with my stock A4 [up]

don't think it wouldn't happen [;)] [=(]

and BTW a chipped A4 will run 14's... do some research

and lmao... S2000...

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 12:34 PM

i did search into that.. I did not get much results. looks like most are running in the mid 15's and low if they a good launch..

i think i saw one post that ran 14.9.

i have never driven on a track before and yah you might beat me =) but thats assuming if i am a really really bad driver.. [race]

I Don't understand why so many forums always tell new comers to search and search. if i make a good point then its a good point.. if you have a different point of view.. then please explain with logic.. and not tell me to search for something that probably does not exist.

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 12:36 PM
^ BAM!
(to 1 ate T's post)

What made you choose the 350? With as much money that's put into the 350z+mods you could have a 10-11sec DSM [;)] Or an S4 with lots of $ left for upgrades.

burner799
10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
okay, i know people who have spent more money on bolt ons for their cars than it costs for us to do a k04 upgrade. This car is fairly affordable to swap turbos and get some good numbers out of. You say its not built for racing a 1/4 mile but what production car is? Also you say the integra is made for racing, honda? front wheel drive racing? what? I bet if you stayed on the forum and did a bit of reading and searching, 6 months from now, you would look at thispost and be like, damn wtf was I writing.

1 ate T
10-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Think about what you're picking on here man... A motor that essentially has 150hp 170tq from factory... The fact that it is a BASE model car never crosses your mind? You're talking about M3's and Z's.. Shit you should be picking on a 2.7T if you're looking at a higher end car.

The fact that I could take 150hp and take it to 400hp without changing the specs of the motor, and at a smaller cost than a "built" honda motor... That speaks for itself...

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by 1 ate T
I want to take you to an autox and spank you with my stock A4 [up]

don't think it wouldn't happen [;)] [=(]

and lmao... S2000...

I drove my cousins s2000 recently and the car felt really slow.. no tq at all but the car is a track machine.. handels alot better than my Z and it was fun having the convertible down. S2000 is in the same class as the 350z, m3, S4.. <NOT referring to the new modem M3 and V8 S4's)

1 ate T
10-24-2006, 12:41 PM
I pooped on an S2000 last month at AutoX.. and at high end on the highway (110+) I was pulling as hard as him... He was revving out.

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 12:41 PM
^ BAM!
(to 1 ate T's post)

What made you choose the 350? With as much money that's put into the 350z+mods you could have a 10-11sec DSM [;)] Or an S4 with lots of $ left for upgrades.

I agree.. i don't think getting the 350Z was the best choice.. i think i got it for its large aftermerket line and the looks.. if its all about performance i would get an STI/EVO/S4 for sure. S4 is a big heavy and poor mpg which ... stir me away from it.

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by LODOSS
if you have a different point of view.. then please explain with logic..
*rough estimate* you spent $25k on a car then started modding, now running a 60trim and in 12's. First off, a stock turbo (14b) from a DSM will break into the 12's easily. Then you start criticizing the 1.8t for not being able to run 14's with simple bolt-ons? If you were to put $25k+ into an A4 it'd run circles around your 350z.. where's the logic in that? There are many A4's here that could embarrass the 350 with half the money invested.

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by burner799
okay, i know people who have spent more money on bolt ons for their cars than it costs for us to do a k04 upgrade. This car is fairly affordable to swap turbos and get some good numbers out of. You say its not built for racing a 1/4 mile but what production car is? Also you say the integra is made for racing, honda? front wheel drive racing? what? I bet if you stayed on the forum and did a bit of reading and searching, 6 months from now, you would look at thispost and be like, damn wtf was I writing.

I never said the car cna't be made into a race car or fast.. just that from the factory it was not meant to. I know the Integra is built for track but it is flawed for its drivetrain.. which i did state.

I hope when i do end up getting the chip.. it will change my mind. i heard from a few friends that i made a huge difference but the butt dyno was like... whoooooo.. o. o o .. zz .z.z zz
plenty of go at first but then the small turbo dies off.

1/4 mile cars... EVO MR? STI? Z/G, Mustangs, lots of muscle cars.. SRT'S. .. and yes they all have bigger engines or bigger turbos. and if you look at the power graph it does not just die after 5000 rpm. again talking about stock 1.8t and chipped 1.8t. i know with a bigger turbo things can be quite different.

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree.. i don't think getting the 350Z was the best choice.. i think i got it for its large aftermerket line and the looks.. if its all about performance i would get an STI/EVO/S4 for sure. S4 is a big heavy and poor mpg which ... stir me away from it.
I guess I just don't understand that point of view. If it's all about performance, why drop $25k on a stock car? I understand it's a new/fresh start, less maintenance, yada yada. Though I know for a fact I can think of a few platforms where if I had 10k I'd be in the 11's. I'm babbling, it's hard to put my thoughts into words right now. [:p]

1 ate T
10-24-2006, 12:49 PM
In the long run you're comparing apples to oranges...

An STI/EvO/M3/350 will run you what about $20K+?

I bought my A4 for $7,200... Logic? [confused]

Ray Khan
10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I pooped on an S2000 last month at AutoX.. and at high end on the highway (110+) I was pulling as hard as him... He was revving out.

Sounds like you ran into a bad driver. An S2000 should beat a chipped 1.8T in most situations.

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 12:56 PM
*rough estimate* you spent $25k on a car then started modding, now running a 60trim and in 12's. First off, a stock turbo (14b) from a DSM will break into the 12's easily. Then you start criticizing the 1.8t for not being able to run 14's with simple bolt-ons? If you were to put $25k+ into an A4 it'd run circles around your 350z.. where's the logic in that? There are many A4's here that could embarrass the 350 with half the money invested.

LOL this has nothing to do with my car.. my car is ok.. i am not even that impressed with it.. wish i would have gone Twin turbo but it would have cost more. .. the Z is still fairly new im sure in a few more years it'll put up some better numbers.. problem with the Z is of course its built for NA.. if it was built for turbo form the factory the car would have taken off on the market by now.

DSM's are no joke.. for the money.. DSM's are great.. I would say a old MIATA is also a great daily.. with a small cheap turbo kit.. that thing will fly and handels like a drema.. too bad they are so expensive even for an early 90's model.

I am not picking on the 1.8t when chipped puts out some good numbers. but it is still family sport compact sedan and at best can only run with the new ones that are out nowadays. look at the new CAMRY.. older model camry is a pos.. now it looks like a bimmer and power has gone up substantely. I just think that for most people with 1.8t chipped. i would not go and brag about beating someone....

oh yah.. i undersand AWD has a high % drivetrain lost.. but come on.. which forum uses FLYwheel hp in all their posts.. even honda forums.. like this old integra side www.g2ic.com goes by at wheel.. talking about flywheel just makes the car sound better.. but be realistic a 1.8t chipped again is still not a fast car.

Unless you got a turbo upgrade.. i don't see how you can take a S2000.

I think i am going to love driving the car around.. but i am not going to be going around picking on cars and trying race them.. even rice out hondas.. because what is the point?

Consensus... 1.8t is a great engine.. but in stock form. with basic bolt ons.. its mediocre at best in terms of "speed"

onemoremile
10-24-2006, 12:59 PM
I went toe to toe with some serious S2000 competition a few seasons ago. I narrowly beat them about 2/3 of the time. i had a 94 jetta vr6 with bilsteins, azenis, and 269k miles running in STS. they were 3 S2000s with varying levels of performance mods. the top sts civics were about a second ahead of my times.

here she is fresh from an autox with 268k miles on the clock. http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/1174IMG_0575_r-med.JPG

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Completely apples to oranges..

My Eclipse GSX was $3100, put at most $2700 into it, still on stock turbo and SMIC was a low 13sec car. If we're talking about the cheapest buildup cars then I say an old 5.0 Stang or a DSM are the winners, but that's not the case. You're arguing that the 1.8t top end isn't impressive enough (I don't need to go into drivetrain loss+luxury weight)...what AWD car for under $20k has a good top end? I think for everything you get with the 1.8t when it comes to Audi's is more than impressive.

1 ate T
10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
so tru^

this car was never made for speed, that's what makes it fun to beat people with they're little ACTUAL sport compact cars.. I couldnt look at my car and say it's compact... i would chuckle a little.

you haven't once compared the 1.8t to a 'comparable' car... M3? Z?... wtf? [confused]

not trying to pick on you or flame you.. but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about...

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I guess I just don't understand that point of view. If it's all about performance, why drop $25k on a stock car? I understand it's a new/fresh start, less maintenance, yada yada. Though I know for a fact I can think of a few platforms where if I had 10k I'd be in the 11's. I'm babbling, it's hard to put my thoughts into words right now. [:p]

yah it is about just having a new car.. maint free etc.. or at least i thought.. but most importantly no time to spend time on my car anymore..

i had a 3000gt VR4 before that. and i upgraded the turbos on it, new fuel pump, injectors, emanage, avcr, dp etc.. the car haul ass.. it was prob a high 11 low 12 sec car but i had it for a year and shit left and right started to go out.. electronics.. rusting paint started to fade leather seats ripped. then the oil pump seal started to leak.. andi just said to myself i had enough.. did'nt have the time to fix it up anymore.. so i bought the z and then sold the VR4.. i still miss it.. that thing had great low end tq . and that is another reason i wanted to get the 1.8t so i can drive around town with light throttle and still get that low end tq feeling.

the z was 28k.. turbo was 5k install 1.5 along with a few little things.. 19 inch wheels 2k and exhaust 500. thats what i have done to the car.. if i had a chance to start over again.. i would have saved up and bought a 335 (second year ) or even just a G35 for 4 seat and more luxury. [wrench]

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 01:04 PM
In the long run you're comparing apples to oranges...

An STI/EvO/M3/350 will run you what about $20K+?

I bought my A4 for $7,200... Logic? [confused]

talking about an engine.. price is irrelevant.. if you want to look at it that way then think back in year 2000 the car would be 25-26k? sorry don't know how much these cost new.

7200 is a great deal.. what kind of options did yours come with? also what kind of wheels are those/? they look pretty good.

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
LODOSS - honestly, I know where you're coming from. I was/am still a hardcore DSMer. I bought this Audi just a few months ago because I was sick of my unreliable GSX, planned to use this as a DD. I had to get the quattro because once you've gone a winter w/AWD you simply can't without (or you'll regret it). At first I thought, "oh, a german 1.8t, how cute" but when you think about it it matches up damn close to a DSM. 5 year old 150hp car vs 15 year old 210hp car. They'll run the same times stock now. You give up a bit being a fairly large sedan but you gain a ton more. I now have a bigass trunk, a real backseat, a newer reliable motor, etc.--and that's all for just a few grand more

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
so tru^

this car was never made for speed, that's what makes it fun to beat people with they're little ACTUAL sport compact cars.. I couldnt look at my car and say it's compact... i would chuckle a little.

you haven't once compared the 1.8t to a 'comparable' car... M3? Z?... wtf? [confused]

not trying to pick on you or flame you.. but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about...

lol i am not comparing the cars.. i did not make the comparison.. you guys asked me what cars are built for top end. and i listed some. i know the 1.8t car is no where in the same price range or performance level.. all i am saying is that the 1.8t is not built for speed.. with a chip its a bit better but its still just a sport compact car (i forgot what website did a review and they classify the car as that) with decent power. just with that comment it seem to threw a lot of people off into flaming me.. but in the in.. its the truth.

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
if you want to look at it that way then think back in year 2000 the car would be 25-26k?
Audi's have backseats and optional Quattro (vs. 350z) Audi's also have comfortable seats and cd players (vs. EvoMR)

In the end.. get an A4 ($9k), get a t-28 for much better top end for minimal amount of money ($3k). You've now got your AWD car with a top end.

1 ate T
10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Price is relevant because with more $ you receive a better motor... Like I said before the 1.8t is a base model Audi... It has almost as much potential as any other Audi.

I agree it's not a race motor with a chip... But with the right applications, I'm pretty sure the motor could stand up to much on a track.. especially with the suspension. $10 says I have better interior than a new Sti as well (now that is irrelevant.. but hey there ya go) [:D]

Mine wasn't a sport edition.. But it has everything else except for a tri steering wheel. And those are S4 wheels..

(and no one has flamed you... you haven't met Evil-Audi yet) lmao

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 01:19 PM
LODOSS - honestly, I know where you're coming from. I was/am still a hardcore DSMer. I bought this Audi just a few months ago because I was sick of my unreliable GSX, planned to use this as a DD. I had to get the quattro because once you've gone a winter w/AWD you simply can't without (or you'll regret it). At first I thought, "oh, a german 1.8t, how cute" but when you think about it it matches up damn close to a DSM. 5 year old 150hp car vs 15 year old 210hp car. They'll run the same times stock now. You give up a bit being a fairly large sedan but you gain a ton more. I now have a bigass trunk, a real backseat, a newer reliable motor, etc.--and that's all for just a few grand more

true that.. DSM's are great but they are getting old.. and unless you get a perfectly preserved one.. <shit might still go wrong> or if you plan to spend 10 k on renewing it.. its just a fast car with plenty of speed. the Audi has more class and looks great and is more functional. sure the 1.8t is not built for top end power but for DD its great due to its low end tq.

DSM's come with 13g's right? and thats the 2nd gen.. from my understand the 1st gen is even bigger. if audi really wanted a car that was built for more speed they could have spend a few hundreds more and put in a bigger turbo. but it did'nt. because its not built for racing./speed..

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Price is relevant because with more $ you receive a better motor... Like I said before the 1.8t is a base model Audi... It has almost as much potential as any other Audi.

I agree it's not a race motor with a chip... But with the right applications, I'm pretty sure the motor could stand up to much on a track.. especially with the suspension. $10 says I have better interior than a new Sti as well (now that is irrelevant.. but hey there ya go) [:D]

Mine wasn't a sport edition.. But it has everything else except for a tri steering wheel. And those are S4 wheels..

(and no one has flamed you... you haven't met Evil-Audi yet) lmao

nice. i think my friend had some 19 bbs on his S4 that he can't seem to get rid off.. maybe i'll see if he'll let me put them on my A4 =p the offset is the same i assume... i saw tha the tri steering wheel was an 500 dollar option? thats a bit steep.. the car i am getting has it.. and i have to admit the steering wheel feels great.. much better than my 350z and my gf rx8. and in the interior i also agree with you.. its like a space ship.. like i said my friend had an biturbo s4 and i was just really impressed with it all around.

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 01:22 PM
DSM's come with 13g's right? and thats the 2nd gen.. from my understand the 1st gen is even bigger. if audi really wanted a car that was built for more speed they could have spend a few hundreds more and put in a bigger turbo. but it did'nt. because its not built for racing./speed..
1g auto - 13g
1g manual - 14b (best)
2g - T-25 (biggest POS evar, falls off before 5k, we sell them to Honda boys)

As per the flow charts I'm guessing the k03 to be just a bit smaller than the t-25.

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Audi's have backseats and optional Quattro (vs. 350z) Audi's also have comfortable seats and cd players (vs. EvoMR)

In the end.. get an A4 ($9k), get a t-28 for much better top end for minimal amount of money ($3k). You've now got your AWD car with a top end.

i know the stock chip are pretty reliable.. saw some guy with 90k miles on it?>??

how reliable are the engines with more top end abuse? and the awd transmission is pretty robust from what i heard but what about the clutch...

my gf is going to be learning how to drive a stick on this car. i am a bit worry that when she is done learning the clutch is going to go bye bye.. [drive]

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 01:24 PM
BTW, I got my '99 a4 quattro for $7100. Sport edition, winter package. I got it cheaper cause he couldn't find the receipt for the t-belt job, woo!

'nuff ranting from me for a while, I'm not off work, suckas [;)]

1 ate T
10-24-2006, 01:39 PM
People are throwing big turboes on at 100K+ miles.. I'm at 98K right now and truckin along. They're really reliable

I wouldn't let her learn on it personally... you're clutch will go to begin with, but may was well not add to the problem.

im not off work either i need to stop coming on this site! arg

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 01:42 PM
1g auto - 13g
1g manual - 14b (best)
2g - T-25 (biggest POS evar, falls off before 5k, we sell them to Honda boys)

As per the flow charts I'm guessing the k03 to be just a bit smaller than the t-25.
thats right.. 14bs.. alot of 3000gt guys modify those to fit and the were putting down 400 - 500 at wheel with 2 of those things... 1st gen dsm.. [hail]

bitterchild
10-24-2006, 02:16 PM
16g :p

Audiman78
10-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey man some people just are passionate about Audi's like me. I dont care if your Honda runs 9's at the end of the day i'll crawl into my heated leather seats and hott girlfriend and slowly drive home! I love Audi's and i love how they are slow and how you can upgrade them and how they look and how they drive. You dont know how many people have driven my car saying wow its shifts soooo smooth. AUDI's Are Built Well and they are my choice car so go get your Z or Honda or DSM or whatever i dont even know. There's no better feeling then someone coming up and saying wow is that a 2002 or 2003 and then you tell them its a 97 with 130k on the clock.

Chris

Ippkiss
10-24-2006, 02:52 PM
LOL how am i pissing people off? i am stating my opinion. its not like i am going around screaming audis suck or slow as ****.. i priase it for what it is and state the truth about it.

yes race cars are built with power in high RPM. the S2000 is fast for what it is.. it only has 160 lb of tq.. if the car can put down same amount of tq as an chipped a4 at its peak tq rpm the car would be well into the 300+.. the S2000 for what it is.. is a race car. even the Type R integra is built for racing <flaw is FF>. M3's Z's.. I mean you got cars built for high rpm high power.. and cars built for low end tq for great dialy driving.. and the A4 in design is built for DD.. i don't see how anyone can argue with me in terms of the main person of the A4.

Like i said the car moves great for daily driving but if this car was in anyways built for racing or 1/4 which is not.. then it would have its power band in the higher range. a bigger turbo. i understand there are limitations to the size of the engine.. for it being a 1.8 its a great car and engine for sure.

in terms of all the cars that are in the 12's 11's etc.. i am sure you seen their power curve.. peak tq becomes like 4000, 5000 + which does make it a fast car but then you lose the daily driving pleasure of what an A4 really is.. good low end response. if the engine was maybe 2.2 2.5 or even the 2.0 version it would adapt to the bigger tubos better i would think.

this is about car hp/tq concept and not regarding to any particular car and it snot about searching.. its just facts.

I am only referring to 1.8t's. i am sure the S4's.. RS4's have power output higher in the RPM range.

I think i indirectly put turbo out of the "bolt on" context.

it does require quite a few mods.. min a turbo/fmic/inejctors/tuning/fuel pump upgrade.. the block is strong as mofo.. i admit but again its not just a car where you can put a few bolt ons and see it run 14's.

even audi's 2.7t & 4.2t motors are famed for putting out 90% of max torque from 1900 rpms to 5000 rpms or more. The S4, RS4, & RS6 all kick ass becuse of the low end torque they have, not crazy top end hp. You don't need crazy hp figures to run good 1/4 mi times. Hell look that Syclones and Typhoons. Turbo GM 4.3l's putting down 280-300 ish hp, but 400+ ftlbs of torque midly modded. Taking 3600 lb trucks, and 4000lb suv's into the 12's. these trucks shift at 4000 to 4500 rpm.

The only place a debate about top end max hp belongs is track cars. In my daily driver, I'll take low end torque over top end hp any day of the week. If you like low end torque, you HAVE to drive a 2.7t car. S4, A6, what ever. These things are low end torque monsters.

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
16g :p
I've personally watched the 14b go low 12's...and I've never heard of an evoIII16g go faster than high 11's. The potential is there (that's ported 14b of course) Which 16g are you talking about?

iowaboostin
10-24-2006, 03:17 PM
BTW, check out the turbo we just threw on my buddy's '95 Talon TSi AWD [;)] that's a 2.4l 4g64, built internals, she'll run low 11's if we can tune the damn thing and get the intake mani on.. he was hitting 11's with his old 50trim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/iowaboostin/Picture010-2.jpg

sean1.8t
10-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Audiman78
Hey man some people just are passionate about Audi's like me. I dont care if your Honda runs 9's at the end of the day i'll crawl into my heated leather seats and hott girlfriend and slowly drive home! I love Audi's and i love how they are slow and how you can upgrade them and how they look and how they drive. You dont know how many people have driven my car saying wow its shifts soooo smooth. AUDI's Are Built Well and they are my choice car so go get your Z or Honda or DSM or whatever i dont even know. There's no better feeling then someone coming up and saying wow is that a 2002 or 2003 and then you tell them its a 97 with 130k on the clock.

Chris

i get that all the time. people are like "how can you afford such a new audi?"

love it!!

burner799
10-24-2006, 03:42 PM
^^me too.....but then my friends show up in their audis and chicks are like ooohhh, yours IS hellla old. it sucks.

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by burner799
^^me too.....but then my friends show up in their audis and chicks are like ooohhh, yours IS hellla old. it sucks.

The B5 body style A4's were years ahead of its time in styling for sure. all those cars you mention do have lots of low end tq but they also hold that tq better than our 1.8t.. =o i think if our turbos were about a 13gs size stock then the car would be a really killer deal and stock car.

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Ippkiss
even audi's 2.7t & 4.2t motors are famed for putting out 90% of max torque from 1900 rpms to 5000 rpms or more. The S4, RS4, & RS6 all kick ass becuse of the low end torque they have, not crazy top end hp. You don't need crazy hp figures to run good 1/4 mi times. Hell look that Syclones and Typhoons. Turbo GM 4.3l's putting down 280-300 ish hp, but 400+ ftlbs of torque midly modded. Taking 3600 lb trucks, and 4000lb suv's into the 12's. these trucks shift at 4000 to 4500 rpm.

The only place a debate about top end max hp belongs is track cars. In my daily driver, I'll take low end torque over top end hp any day of the week. If you like low end torque, you HAVE to drive a 2.7t car. S4, A6, what ever. These things are low end torque monsters.

I would too and thats why i am getting the audi.. =) to run good 1/4 mile.. you either need to be light or you have good hp.. or in our case awd with a good launch but the trap speed will show you how the car will really pull once it start to roll.

Nihilation
10-24-2006, 04:58 PM
LODOSS did you buy your A4 yet? I have a mildly modded 1.8T in northern VA I am ready to sell. Silver, 5-speed, Brembo's and suspension...GIAC chip is the only power adder.

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I have already put down a deposit.. =(

LODOSS
10-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Got any pics?? and how much you looking to get for it? i mean if it is a great deal.. good enough to the point where i am willing to lose the 300 deposit.. then yah im sure its osmething we can work out.. you take it to the track? you had some nice cars.. old 325.. another DD I was looking for and a NSX.. its an NSX =p

bitterchild
10-24-2006, 05:57 PM
I've personally watched the 14b go low 12's...and I've never heard of an evoIII16g go faster than high 11's. The potential is there (that's ported 14b of course) Which 16g are you talking about?

The $300 ones from China [:p] 4g63 and 3582 were a match made in heaven. 60-1 works if you're really cheap, really old school or both [;)]

1 ate T
10-25-2006, 08:27 AM
DSM's... they run on sewage... love it...[:D]

iowaboostin
10-25-2006, 08:51 AM
DSM's... they run on sewage... love it...[:D]
We have so many little cheap hacks it's not even funny. Half the DSM community is dedicated to "Home Depot Racing" [;)]

we build our own MBC's, EGR block-off plate made from a soda can, coolant overflow made from a gatorade bottle, shifter bushings from a skateboard, etc. [:D] I'm proud of my heritage.

Nihilation
10-25-2006, 11:02 AM
LODOSS- sending you a PM...