PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Downshifting 2nd to 1st Gear

yemntftb
10-22-2006, 05:15 PM
So If I'm downshifting from 2nd to 1st the shifter wont engage 1st gear, it gets blocked. No matter how far in I push the clutch some times I can not put the shifter into 1st gear position, its very weird. New clutch with about 3K miles on it.

Usually if I feel like its blocked, I don't try to force it threw but put it back in neutral and then try again...today I forced it and I thought I might have heard a slight gear grinding, this has never happened before...any thoughts??? Is this poor installation of the new clutch...or is my shifter/gear box thing going south?

maxspeed
10-22-2006, 05:20 PM
dont down shift into first

audiluver
10-22-2006, 05:35 PM
are you talking about even at a stop or while moving? This has changed since a clutch install?

yemntftb
10-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Seriously? If its bad I was never told that when I learned to drive stick and I'll just start going into neutral everytime...

but sometimes, like on campus over speed bumps I cant no go into 1st...I can't not downshift into 1st...

yemntftb
10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by audiluver
are you talking about even at a stop or while moving? This has changed since a clutch install?

While moving...doesn't happen when I'm standing still

For example, if I'm going about 10mph I sometimes get blocked from 2nd to first downshift, like at a toll plaza on the highway...

or over speed bumps

werksmini
10-22-2006, 05:44 PM
haha
you need to learn to double clutch, once you learn you can pop it in 1st at any speed. be careful.
How to double clutch:
Your in second
-put the shifter in neutral position between 2nd and 1st.
-rev engine with clutch DISengaged (get the synchros spinnin)
-Put in the clutch while the revs are still high and falling and pop it into first.

It takes a few tries but get easy quicky.

sean1.8t
10-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by werksmini
haha
you need to learn to double clutch, once you learn you can pop it in 1st at any speed. be careful.
How to double clutch:
Your in second
-put the shifter in neutral position between 2nd and 1st.
-rev engine with clutch DISengaged (get the synchros spinnin)
-Put in the clutch while the revs are still high and falling and pop it into first.

It takes a few tries but get easy quicky.

yeah, i had to learn to do this a while back. but i still don't do it that often

yemntftb
10-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Alright, so that will stop the blocking? sweet.

GraysonF
10-22-2006, 05:50 PM
dont downshift into first. theres no point. just coast and then brake, back into second if you need to go again.

IIRC its not supposed to go into first gear if your going over 20 mph. my car doesnt do that. any audi ive ever driven doesnt either.

yemntftb
10-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Yeah but I'm talking about at 10 MPH

loustylez
10-22-2006, 05:52 PM
mario andretti that shit like he's saying, or just don't shift in first until you come to, or very near, a complete stop. anything else you should at least be able to creep in second. my honda was the same way. when coming to a stop, i'd push it into first just ever so slightly where i felt resistance, and i'd feel it go in by itself almost when the time was right.

point is... don't force anything. what you're expriencing is normal. it's how the car works.

you would use something like he's saying above if you were racing someone and a light turns red. you're both coming to a stop then all of a sudden, JUST before you've both almost come to a complete stop, the light turns green. you'd then rev the engine, shift in to first and take off.

the best time to do this is when all the weight of your car is shifted forward (you almost have to be stopping fairly fast to get enough forward energy held back) and a split second before the car comes to a stop and the energy is distributed backwards throughout the rest of the car, bringing the center of gravity back to "normal", you can catch the rebound of that energy and use it to launch the car forward.

i may not know much about the mechanics of cars... but i've always had a bet that nobody has been willing to take me up on yet. i've gone all the way to $100 saying to someone that i can drive their own car better than them. all i need is a few minutes to drive yur car around and get the feel for things.

hah, i've always had this dream since i was a kid that i was a race car driver and people would pay me to race their cars. i never knew shit about cars, just how to drive them really good. this was an actual dream, not a goal dream.

i've had several friends who got boxters, f bodies, s2000, audis, g35... all of them i taught how to drive their cars. all the while i drove around a '93 accord with 197k miles ;)

wow, </rant>. time to go drive my baby downtown and chill with a friend.

yemntftb
10-22-2006, 07:02 PM
cool thanks guys

maxspeed
10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
you have enough torque in secon, especially chipped to not have to downshift into first when rolling, i mean shit, stock the car has enough power to start from a roll in second..

matt719
10-22-2006, 07:12 PM
I find I have to downshift into first sometimes because I can't go under 10mph in second gear. All I do is rev the engine before I engage the clutch and it shifts seemlessly... I really don't think it does any damage if you rev match correctly. I find this "issue" is more prominent in our cars (at least the 1.8T) because of a lack of low end torque.

.:AJ:.
10-22-2006, 07:23 PM
i never shifted into 1st unless i was at a complete stop, i figured that forcing it into 1st was a sign that it wasn't supposed to go into 1st. so whenever i came up to a speed bump, i push the clutch all the way in w/ the car in second, slow down & go over the bump, then slip the clutch back to where it engaged second.

mike-2ptzero
10-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by yemntftb
Yeah but I'm talking about at 10 MPH

Why would you need it in 1st gear if your rolling at 10mph? Just odd since 1st gear really only takes you to about 30mph max which means you are going to be 1/3 of the way thru 1st and nearly half way thru the power band already. Now I could see it if you had a turbo setup that didn't kick in till 5k and really needed to use 1st gear at 10 mph.

loustylez
10-22-2006, 09:14 PM
you should still be able to creep in 2nd gear and be patient enough to gain momentum to get to the speed you're looking for. there is no hurry grasshawpa.

bellofello
10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
I think the "issue" your referring to is the synchro's working lol. I think we notice more because our 1st gear is pretty high ratio. Correct? Like our second gear gets you to the same speed as a zo6 does in 1st (then again thats a zo6 lol).

But about your question, yeah you have to double clutch to line up the synchro's in the transmission or it will cock block you. if not just coast. I find I never use first unless I'm starting from a stop, racing, or showing off lol.

yemntftb
10-23-2006, 06:07 AM
ok.