PDA

View Full Version : Bah, I can't find the third bolt to take out my headlight!

StreetUrchin
10-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey guys, got out the first two obvious bolts right above the driver's side light, but it isn't pulling right out, I need to get out one more I think.

Where is it? Pictures, descriptions...anything, this is driving me nuts.

Thanks!

bitterchild
10-22-2006, 02:24 PM
it on a horizontal plane towards the center of the car underneath. It's by the leading edge of the fender under the headlight. same torx style fastener as the upper two.

BarryT82
10-22-2006, 02:25 PM
If you look at the fender near the front of the car there is a hole. Put the torx bit on a long extension and put it in the hole. Fill around or use a flashlight. You'll find it.

StreetUrchin
10-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
it on a horizontal plane towards the center of the car underneath. It's by the leading edge of the fender under the headlight. same torx style fastener as the upper two.

Ok, I think I found it but I still need help, I found this pic on audiworld supposidly showing the bolt I am trying to get out -

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pix/screw1.jpg

It's the yellow-circled one.

Now I don't have the tool to get the bolt out, so I used a flatheadscrewdriver to get out the top two...how the HELL am I going to get this one out?

Thanks

bitterchild
10-22-2006, 02:31 PM
you're crazy, that's not the right bolt at all. It's under the headlight next to the front of the fender going tranverse to the centerline of the car. It's pointing towards the passenger side and it's a torx (star)

BarryT82
10-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Go buy a set of torx sockets. It's about $20. If you own an Audi or VW you'll need them sooner or later.

SFexBOY
10-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
you're crazy, that's not the right bolt at all. It's under the headlight next to the front of the fender going tranverse to the centerline of the car. It's pointing towards the passenger side and it's a torx (star)

nah i think it is....it's the yellow circled one.

streeturchi > As far as removing it....its a torx bit that you'll need a long enough driver to get to. My suggestion is to take duct tape & tape it backwords on the bit (sticky side hitting the screw). You'll realize that the chances of losing that screw, while pulling it out will be pretty high.

SeanF
10-22-2006, 03:02 PM
no really, thats not the right bolt at all, pretend the bolt is pointing towards the other headlight, thats where youll start looking

i didnt even realize the one piece headlights had 3 bolts, thought it was just the two upper tabs to screw in and a lower tab that just slid into place...

SFexBOY
10-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by SeanF
no really, thats not the right bolt at all, pretend the bolt is pointing towards the other headlight, thats where youll start looking

All i know is when I look straight down that hole....it right smack in my face....can't miss that bolt since its the same as the other 2.

audiluver
10-22-2006, 03:06 PM
yeah bitterchild, that's how mine is. I'm pretty sure you have to pop the bumper off and pull it down a bit. maybe i'm remembering something else but i was pretty sure.

mike-2ptzero
10-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Man you guys are going to get this guy confused. If his car has 1 piece head lights the bolt is the in the picture above circled in Yellow. The bolt faces downward exactly like the 2 top bolts but is much lower and you have to put the tool thru part of the fender/rail.

The other bolt that is under the head light and faces toward the other head light(on the rad support) is a bolt that holds a round clip that allows a round tab on the head light to clip into it.

badassbaldie
10-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Man you guys are going to get this guy confused. If his car has 1 piece head lights the bolt is the in the picture above circled in Yellow. The bolt faces downward exactly like the 2 top bolts but is much lower and you have to put the tool thru part of the fender/rail.

The other bolt that is under the head light and faces toward the other head light(on the rad support) is a bolt that holds a round clip that allows a round tab on the head light to clip into it.

Yes...

burner799
10-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Yea this isnt exactly rocket science....streeturchin, didn't you play with those things as a kid where its a round hole and you have to put a little ball through it, or if its a square hole you put a little cube through it and the ball wont fit in the square hole and vice versa.......well, thats why i dont use a regular scredriver to try and get that screw out or else you strip it.

StreetUrchin
10-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I had actually figured it out before most of you replied (sorry!), I was able to get both of them out and both of them in without losing them or stripping them.

It IS the yellow-circled bolt though, just that one and the front two bolts. I ended up doing this to put in Silverstars I got from autozone ($12), they look great!

Thanks for all the help, except burner...you actually weren't helpful at all.

badassbaldie
10-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Yea this isnt exactly rocket science....streeturchin, didn't you play with those things as a kid where its a round hole and you have to put a little ball through it, or if its a square whole you put a little cube through it and the ball wont fit in the square hole and vice versa.......well, thats why i dont use a regular scredriver to try and get that screw out or else you strip it.

"Square whole"? And who's calling who a rocket scientist?[:p]

We ask questions so we don't eff things up on are very costly Audis. Glad you got things worked out Streeturchin. Although, I don't think you have to remove the whole light assembly to replace a bulb...

StreetUrchin
10-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by badassbaldie
"Square whole"? And who's calling who a rocket scientist?[:p]

We ask questions so we don't eff things up on are very costly Audis. Glad you got things worked out Streeturchin. Although, I don't think you have to remove the whole light assembly to replace a bulb...

Thanks badass :-)

burner799
10-22-2006, 07:39 PM
typo....big deal. I cant see shit. I had lasik on friday and im on AZ anyways. lol

badassbaldie
10-22-2006, 07:50 PM
typo....big deal. I cant see shit. I had lasik on friday and im on AZ anyways. lol

Oh, the old Lasik excuse...just bustin' your chops a bit...[:D]

SoFresh
10-22-2006, 09:19 PM
yea, the one circled in yellow in the picture... at least those were the only 3 on my one pieces stock...

ny02s4
10-23-2006, 06:20 AM
go to Sears or local Hardware store and buy:

- T30 Torx bit (1/4" drive)
- 12" 1/4" drive extension
- 1/4" drive ratchet
- Magnetic extension wand ($2)

i say 1/4" drive mainly cause anything bigger wont fit into the hole leading to that bolt.