PDA

View Full Version : abs module repair diy

10-21-2006, 12:57 PM
My abs modules malfunctioning so I took the unit out today.
I saw a post not to long ago with a link to a DIY repair of the abs module from like a vw site. Does anyone have that link? I tried searching but no luck. TIA.

Ertman
10-21-2006, 01:06 PM
There is an article posted over on AW in the tech section. If that does not work, send it out to ModuleMaster

10-21-2006, 01:18 PM
I think the article your talking about how to take the module out.
I already have the module out. I know I can send it out to MM and have them repair it but im thinking of doing the repair myself. There was a linked article with details on what to soldier and stuff so I was wondering if anyone had a link to that.

Ertman
10-21-2006, 02:05 PM
I'll find it for you. It's called the "Moscow Mod"

Ertman
10-21-2006, 02:11 PM
here it is

http://passat-b5.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296&Itemid=57

Have fun, if you ruin it MM will not fix it.

10-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks ertman. I still havent decided to do this myself or not but that article gives me a good idea of what im up against.

Aliel
10-21-2006, 06:40 PM
That really doesn't look that hard.

I might give it a try and see if it works.

BoostFrenzy
10-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Ertman
here it is

http://passat-b5.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296&Itemid=57

Have fun, if you ruin it MM will not fix it.

most useful post ever on this forum.

+1 for you

10-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, I have the module cracked open. I bought a soldier and materials needed at lowes for 18 buck so im ready to go.
Ive checked all the connections and I have found the problem.
The wire is just hanging really loose so I can see why the abs light and brake light goes on and off. After dinner its soldier time.
I should be done within a couple hours and have it installed. Hopefully this will solve it. That'll save me a couple hundred.

Ertman
10-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Actually you saved around $250 for a MM rebuild or at least $1300 at the stealer.

bOOOOstedAudi
10-22-2006, 06:10 PM
i wouldnt try it

Ertman
10-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I didn't either, but I did send the unit out for repair by MM.

BoostFrenzy
10-23-2006, 12:05 AM
lol if you can't pop the top and solder one connection that's not all that precision you shouldn't be removing the module in the first place :)

TomRitt18944
10-23-2006, 12:21 AM
i tried it, found the problem, and ended up messing up my unit trying to fix it.

BoostFrenzy
10-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by TomRitt18944
i tried it, found the problem, and ended up messing up my unit trying to fix it.

was your problem the same as above?

did you just end up getting solder on the surrounding pins?

explain...

jaredpgh
10-23-2006, 08:14 AM
iirc, the connection is really small. you need a low-wattage solder pen and a very steady hand. it's not all that hard, just use lots of flux.

TomRitt18944
10-23-2006, 08:30 AM
yea mine was the same as above. The Connection it TINY, and when i tried to carefully scrape away the glue, 3 or 4 of the ther connectoin broke as well

10-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Well the longer then I thought it would take "journey" has ended after 5+ hours. Conclusion? failure.
I followed the above posted website. It is very useful and I think thats all the info you need.
Taking the lid apart took 5 min. Nows the hard part. There are 2 wires that connect to 1 small plate. Following the website, I used a needle and like it states, 1 of the wires was loose. Hence the on and off and blinking of abs and brake lights. Clearing the clear jelly covering the wires were easy too.
Now, the wires that surround the area that needs to be repaired are very very small. So small that you do need a large magnifying glass to even see.
You also need very very steady hands. I mean a slight movement will disturb the delicate small wires. This wasnt an issue for me because my job requires steady hands.
Anyways, jumping forward to after I got the wires soldered, I ran the car for a while and a solid ABS light came on but no beeping or brake light. So, it seems that I got part of it fixed but must have disturbed the wires that connected the abs.
Where did it go wrong? My soldering kit was cheap and the tips I have were too big. I wish I had some needle tips to solder. The tin kept on spreading too much even with a very small amount. It would spread over to the adjacent plates and I had to redo them over and over again. Also, the tin that I had was very big and seemed to be poor quality. If I had these 2 things, I think I would of had it fixed but oh well. It didnt work out for me.
Would I do this again? If I had to and could have saved a few hundred bucks, I would do it again. But next time, id invest in some better quality soldering tools.
Regardless, you live and learn.

BoostFrenzy
10-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 48855
Well the longer then I thought it would take "journey" has ended after 5+ hours. Conclusion? failure.
I followed the above posted website. It is very useful and I think thats all the info you need.
Taking the lid apart took 5 min. Nows the hard part. There are 2 wires that connect to 1 small plate. Following the website, I used a needle and like it states, 1 of the wires was loose. Hence the on and off and blinking of abs and brake lights. Clearing the clear jelly covering the wires were easy too.
Now, the wires that surround the area that needs to be repaired are very very small. So small that you do need a large magnifying glass to even see.
You also need very very steady hands. I mean a slight movement will disturb the delicate small wires. This wasnt an issue for me because my job requires steady hands.
Anyways, jumping to after I got the wires soldered, I ran the car for a while and a sold ABS light is on but no beeping or brake light. So, it seems that I got part of it fixed but must have disturbed the wires that connected the abs.
Where did it go wrong? My soldering kit was cheap and the tips I has were too big. I wish I had some needle tips to solder. The tin kept on spreading too much even with a very small amount. It would spread over to the adjacent plates and I had to redo them over and over again. Also, the tin that I had was very big an seemed to poor quality. If I had these 2 things, I think I would of had it fixed but oh well but it didnt work out for me.
Would I do this again? If I had to and could have saved a few hundred bucks, I would do it again. But next time, id invest in some better quality soldering tools.
Regardless, you live and learn

scan it, could jsut be a wheel sensor or need reset now!

TQMB5
10-23-2006, 02:40 PM
yea try clearing it and see if it comes back

BoostFrenzy
10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
well we're doing mine tommorow, if it's as easy as i anticipate we'll be offering this as a service for considerably cheaper than the competition.

10-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Good luck man. A good soldering tool is a must!

djinfiniTeeQ
10-18-2012, 02:22 PM
well we're doing mine tommorow, if it's as easy as i anticipate we'll be offering this as a service for considerably cheaper than the competition.

considering doing this...how did it work out for you, and are you still considering offering this as a service for considerably less as thought? :D

nynoah
10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
I am pretty sure Kompressed will do these. PM him. The wire on here is like a hair. I personally would rather pay someone than break it for good.

whistlinquattro
10-18-2012, 04:02 PM
^^^what he said

He actually soldered mine today. I researched and theres lots of places that offer module rebuilds, but from reading some other forums some people said they paid their 50 bucks and got the same broken ABS module back. K0mpresd will do it for 50$ and he turned mine around in a day.

Personally, I dont think its worth risking skrewing it up when the costs of buying a new one are so high and having someone else do it is so cheap. Plus its easy as hell to get the thing out anyways.