PDA

View Full Version : Car turns over but wont start when warm any suggestions?

3 bar
10-19-2006, 06:01 PM
I know its a spark issue cause when car finally starts it smells rich. Dont have my vag com yet. Already replaced the ignition control module last year. Thanks.

burner799
10-19-2006, 06:11 PM
any oil leaking through your valve cover gasket? seems to be very popular these past couple days. I'd think drenched plugs could have something to do with not starting up. Your ICM would have to be pretty damn shot to have the car completely not start up so that prolly isnt it.

BoostFrenzy
10-19-2006, 11:04 PM
#1 check readings of coolant temp sensor, they fail all the time and it'll run like poo either cold or hot depending on which way it's failed (and possibly won't even start!)... coudl also be cam/crank triggers but not sure how often those fail on these cars, to test put your climate control head in diagnostic mode by pressing RECIRC+UPPER VENTS at the same time, 1c will appear, use the fan blower keys to go to 49 or 51c (it was 49c on mine) and then press recirc again to see the value, if it's grossly improper i.e. you had just turned the car off and it reads something crazy like 40c then you know it's way off

3 bar
10-20-2006, 05:53 PM
I bet its the temp/coolant sensor as well I had an irratic temp reading on the guage the other day. And the check engine light.

Kaytek
10-21-2006, 12:23 PM
I'd also say it's a temperature sensor. Had something like that happen to me this summer... thought it was something serious but after the car cooled down on the flatbed it fired up when the mechanic tried it... [mad] Replaced the temp sensor on the back of the block and it's all good since then. Good luck.

Cheers,

Kaytek