The new Audi S8 for 2013 Model Year
- The third generation Audi S8 brings progressive performance to the executive class sedan with exceptional performance and efficiency
- Audi S8, the most powerful sedan in Audi of America's history features an all-new 4.0 liter twin-turbo engine generating 520 hp at an impressive 130 hp per liter
- Audi S8 successfully continues engine downsizing strategy that yields more power and efficiency from lower displacement engines
The new Audi S8 brings a new level of refined performance to the successful flagship Audi A8 lineup, while advancing the Audi S8 lineage into its third generation. Building on the already agile A8, which utilizes Audi ASF® space frame technology to achieve a lightweight vehicle chassis, the S8 delivers more performance through its new 4.0 liter twin-turbo engine, responsive air suspension, high performance brake system and performance design elements.
The 4.0 TFSI® brings the engine downsizing strategy already seen in other vehicles segments to the high-performance class. Twin turbo-charging gives the V8 outstanding power at 520 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque to propel the S8 from 0-62 mph in just 4.2 seconds at a governed top speed of 155 mph. The innovative cylinder head design packages the turbochargers and intercooler between the V-bank to provide shorter exhaust paths to the twin scroll turbochargers for impressive engine response. Compared to the previous S8 V10 engine, the new S8 delivers 15 percent more power, yet consumes 23 percent less fuel. Mated to the eight-speed automatic Tiptronic® transmission that delivers responsive shifts and two overdrive top gears, the S8 powertrain provides effortless acceleration and relaxed cruising capability.
New fuel efficiency measures include cylinder-on-demand technology that deactivates four of the eight cylinders at lower loads, thereby reducing fuel consumption at moderate highway speeds by up to 10 percent. When the V8 engine switches to V4 mode, the active noise control (ANC) system negates undesirable changes in engine/exhaust sound. Active engine mounts further dampen vibrations at lower frequencies to make the cylinder-on-demand technology transition seamlessly. Combined with drive by wire throttle and modern engine computer design, these collective technical innovations demonstrate Audi leadership in delivering impressive performance and improved efficiency.
In order to complement the power of the S8, the chassis comes standard with a sport-tuned adaptive air suspension that includes three ride heights. These work in conjunction with dynamic steering to deliver enhanced handling and steering response with refined ride comfort expected in the large executive sedan class.
The Audi drive select system actively adjusts steering, suspension, engine and transmission performance as well as the sport differential. The driver can select among comfort, auto, dynamic and individual modes.
The S8 is fitted with ventilated disc brakes that are matte Black and carry the S8 logo on the front six piston calipers that are matched to perforated 15.7-inch diameter rotors. At the rear, generous 14-inch rotors are joined to single piston calipers.
Exterior model differentiation for the new S8 includes purposeful but understated design elements, headlined by a new twin-blade design of the Singleframe® grille horizontal slats, lower bumper side air intakes and rear diffuser. The S8 also includes aluminum optic mirrors, larger rocker sill moldings and the trademark S model four outlet, dual rear exhaust. Daytona Gray and Prism Silver are exclusive exterior colors that round out the S8 color palette while S8 specific 21-inch wheels are standard.
The interior is upgraded and differs from other A8 models primarily with standard issue "Carbon Atlas" trim on the upper inlays and shift lever. White-on-Gray instrument cluster displays and analog clock signify the S8, while the S8 welcome message greets enthusiast drivers in the instrument cluster and Audi MMI® screen. Front seating adjusts 22 ways with standard heating, ventilation and massage functions. Valcona leather upholstery and an exclusive diamond cross-stitch pattern provide a sporty and refined level of craftsmanship. The S8 shares several other A8 interior colors as well as offers an exclusive Lunar Silver that includes Gray contrast stitching and piping.
The many useful and innovative driver assistance equipment items already available on the A8 can be selected for the S8. Adaptive cruise control, Audi side assist, Audi lane assist, night vision and Audi pre sense, which constantly monitors vehicle systems and surroundings to provide preventative measures if necessary.
In addition, Audi connect™ enhances the driver experience through Google Earth™ 3D graphics for use with the latest Audi MMI Navigation plus, along with Google Search™ that can also be performed via voice recognition. Real-time traffic is available through SiriusXM™ Traffic and operates with Google Earth mapping. Other real time information, such as localized traffic and weather, and real time news feeds and fuel price updates also are featured. Audi connect also enables rolling Wi-Fi®, creating its own hotspot for simultaneous access by up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices. Whether joined by business associates, friends or by children in the S8, passengers will enjoy access to surf the Web, access email, download songs or videos, play games or stream favorite Internet music providers. The BOSE® Surround Sound System, or the optional Bang & Olufson® Advanced Sound System, ensure that all audio is delivered with impeccable sound quality while the Audi music interface with iPod®/iPhone® connectivity ensures user friendly perusing of play lists and song titles via the Audi MMI system.
The new Audi S8 will go on sale in the U.S. by early Fall 2012 as a 2013 model year.
– Newly developed twin-turbo V8 produces 520 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque
– New "cylinder-on-demand" system for improved efficiency
– Innovative cylinder head layout, two twin-scroll turbochargers
– 0 – 62 mph in 4.2 seconds
– Average fuel consumption is just 10.2 liters per 100 km (EPA figures not available at this time)
– Eight-speed Tiptronic with steering wheel mounted paddle shift levers
– quattro permanent all-wheel drive, including sport differential with torque vectoring
– Adaptive air suspension tautly tuned for sporty driving
– Audi drive select and dynamic steering standard
– 21-inch wheels standard
– ASF aluminum body weighs just 509 lb
– Sporty, elegant design with S model design differentiation elements
– Two exclusive colors
– Dual, four outlet exhaust system
– LED headlights and double glazed side windows standard
– Audi MMI Navigation plus with Audi MMI touch and eight-inch monitor standard
– Audi connect including Google Earth, Google Search with voice activation, weather forecast, fuel price, news feeds and Wi-Fi hotspot for up to eight devices
– BOSE Surround Sound System standard, optional Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System
– Full complement of driver assistance items