The New Audi S6 Sedan for 2013 Model Year
- Audi presents the new S6 performance model
- Newly-developed 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 engine with 420 horsepower
- Ground-breaking efficiency with systems such as "cylinder on demand"
The all-new Audi S6 sedan brings exhilarating performance, intelligent efficiency technologies and exclusive "S" design cues in a vehicle that builds upon the already excellent package delivered by its cousin, the Audi A6, which was introduced in summer 2011.
The S6 is equipped with the new twin-turbo 4.0 TFSI® engine that delivers 420 horsepower and an impressive 406 lb-ft of torque from 1,400 to 5,300 rpm. It accelerates from 0 to 62 mph in 4.8 seconds and has an electronically governed top speed of 155 mph.
The 4.0 TFSI V8 engine brings Audi's downsizing strategy of progressive performance to the mid-sized luxury sedan segment. Compared to the engine in the previous model, the free-breathing 5.2-liter V10, it offers even sportier performance while reducing fuel consumption by as much as 25 percent.
A number of technologies contribute to this top result, including the recuperation and the new cylinder on demand system. When the V8 deactivates four cylinders under part load, active engine mounts counteract vibration while the active noise control (ANC) system minimizes any undesirable sounds from the interior cabin. Four microphones integrated into the headliner monitor noise levels in the cabin and actively cancel unwanted sounds via the main speakers and subwoofer. The engagement and disengagement of the cylinder on demand is virtually undetectable yet delivers great efficiency benefits while still having the full power of the twin-turbo V8 available to the driver. It is these three systems - cylinder on demand, active engine mounts and ANC - that make up an effective solution in terms of efficiency and refinement.
The power of the new S6 is delivered via a seven-speed S tronic® transmission. The grip of the quattro permanent all-wheel drive system is further enhanced through the sport differential, which actively distributes power between the rear wheels and enables superior cornering and acceleration as the driver exits a turn.
By utilizing Audi ultra lightweight technology, the S6's aluminum hybrid construction results in lower weight for dynamic handling and high levels of efficiency. With aluminum body panels and a steel frame the S6 consists of 20 percent aluminum content overall.
Audi drive select adjusts several key systems to accommodate a more dynamic or comfortable driving style. It modifies throttle response, shift points, steering boost of the electromechanical steering and the characteristics of the adaptive air suspension. Drive select has four settings that include Auto, Dynamic, Comfort and Individual.
Air suspension sport with variable damping is standard on the S6 and lowers the body by 10 millimeters (0.39 in) for improved handling without compromising comfort. Powerful disc brakes are ventilated and have matt black calipers with S6 logos. The S6 is available with unique 19-inch cast aluminum wheels in a five parallel-spoke design fitted with 255/40-series tires, or unique S7 20-inch parallel-spoke "Star" design wheels with 255/35-series performance tires.
The interior of the S6 is characterized by sporty elegance. Power-adjustable S6 sport seats are embossed with the S6 logo and connect the driver and passengers to the car and wrap them in Valcona leather with diamond stitching. There are S6 badges on the key, the leather sport steering wheel with colored stitching and aluminum shift paddles, as well as a S6-specific instrument cluster. The illuminated door sill trims and both displays (Audi MMI® and Driver Information System) greet the driver with a S6 logo. A red ring adorns the start-stop button, and the selector lever has an aluminum clasp. The footrest, the pedals and the soft keys of the MMI operating system shine in an aluminum-look finish.
Decorative inlays are available in a choice of four materials. Carbon Atlas, matte brushed aluminum, fine grain Ash natural brown wood or layered Oak wood.
Available technologies include: LED headlights, adaptive light, the ambient lighting package, advanced key, head-up display, Audi parking system plus with top view camera and climate-controlled multi-contour seats with massage function.
The tightly networked driver assistance systems are all state-of-the-art. They include Audi pre sense plus driver assistance system, adaptive cruise control with stop & go function, Audi side assist, active lane assist, and night vision assistant with pedestrian detection. Audi MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch is standard and features Audi connect™ with Google Earth™ navigation, Google Search™ with voice recognition, weather forecasts, fuel prices, news feeds and Wi-Fi® hotspot for up to eight devices.
– Newly developed twin-turbo V8 produces 420 hp and 406 lb-ft of torque
– New "cylinder-on-demand" system for improved efficiency and emissions
– Active engine mounts and Active Noise Cancellation
– 0 – 62 mph in 4.8 seconds
– Seven-speed S tronic transmission with steering wheel mounted paddle shift levers
– quattro® permanent all-wheel drive, including sport differential with torque vectoring
– Audi ultra lightweight technology with aluminum-hybrid construction
– Adaptive air suspension sport, tuned for performance-oriented driving
– Audi drive select standard; adjusts suspension tuning, quattro sport differential, throttle response and shift change points as well as steering power assist
– 19-inch and 20-inch S6-specific wheels available
– Sporty, elegant design with S model design differentiation elements
– Aluminum optic side mirrors, S Singleframe® grille and front bumper, S rear diffuser and rear bumper, trunklid spoiler
– Two exclusive "S" colors: Estoril Blue and Prism Silver
– S-specific dual four outlet exhaust system
– S model design differentiation elements
– S6-specific instrument cluster with S6 logo
– S6 sport steering wheel with color contrast stitching and alu shift paddles
– S6 sport seats with integrated headrest in Valcona leather with diamond stiching
– Available S-specific Carbon Atlas inlays
– S-specific start button, aluminum optic pedals
– Audi pre sense plus driver assistance system, adaptive cruise control with stop & go, Audi side assist, active lane assist
– Head up display and night vision assistant with pedestrian detection
– Audi MMI Navigation plus with Audi MMI touch handwriting recognition
– Audi connect including Google Earth navigation, Google Search with voice recognition, weather forecast, fuel prices, news feeds and Wi-Fi hotspot for up to eight devices
– BOSE® Surround Sound System standard, optional Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System