Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings RAudi Driver's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Rodent invades my engine bay.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Ok, so being of for a few weeks I've been dealing with the cars one by one. Today was the Rs4's turn and when I opened up the engine bay, the insulation that covers the passenger side of the firewall was eaten away. In fact, it was carried to the top of the manifold by the HPFP and munched on the insulation and some wires.

I've spent the last few hours looking for the harness on the internet to no avail. Can anyone help me find what part it is that I need. If not, then off to the dealer it goes for the fix. Trying not to break the bank though.
    Last edited by RAudi Driver; 03-14-2018 at 07:43 AM.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Come on guys, I don't have a lot of time and would really like some insight and not just chatter. Someone throw me some useful information and then we can all chatter away all we want on this thread. I've already seen all the 5 gallon bucket mouse traps I need to tonight. YEs, I've been looking at those too. Kinda funny.

Help a fellow member out.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

2018 RS3
    2015 B8.5 S4
    2011 B8 S4
    2010 A4 Avant
    2007 RS4 (Phantom Black)
    2007 RS4 (Misano Red)
    2013 RS5 - sold

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I've seen all of this.

✅Preventative measures
    ✅Mouse Traps
    ✅Other cars with eaten wires

Does anyone know the wire harness part number for these wires?

Doc, I read your link and totally forgot that I may be able to claim it on insurance, either house or car.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RAudi Driver View Post
    Come on guys, I don't have a lot of time and would really like some insight and not just chatter. Someone throw me some useful information and then we can all chatter away all we want on this thread. I've already seen all the 5 gallon bucket mouse traps I need to tonight. YEs, I've been looking at those too. Kinda funny.

Help a fellow member out.
    My apologies. NO other locations found with chewed thorugh wires right? I would personally (if your not into maintaining a factory looking engine bay) depin the connector and repair wires that way. Bar of soap in a sock I heard prevents mouses and stuff from going into the car.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm not worried about future rodent proofing the car. Only looking to obtain a new wire harness right now.

I've gone thought all the future proofing solutions and have a plan. Just need help with that harness.

Veteran Member Four Rings b6bydesign04's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I tried searching thru the part diagrams on https://www.genuineaudiparts.com for it, but it didn't look like they had any diagrams available under the Fuel System->Fuel Supply category. You might have more luck, but I tried looking under Engine and Electrical as well and couldn't find it. Free bump for you though to keep it at the top, hopefully someone can help!
    -Sean
    2008 RS4 | Suzuka Gray/Exclusive Interior | Ti | KW| Milltek | Apikol | 034

F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Appreciate the effort on your part. I ran into that same issue on all the sites i visited.

I'm going to bring these pictures to the dealer today and see what they come up with. Docevg posted a link, which I read, and it said it's possible to claim on insurance. If my AAA insurance will cover it then I'm sending it to the dealership and will have them fix it. I could probably just splice a new plug onto the harness but the car deserves to be done right.

I'll update this thread with any info that I find for future victims.

Veteran Member Four Rings 65vetteC6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's
    Items for Sale

You would have to replace that section or the entire engine harness. Its only split into another harness for the fuel injectors.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

^^That's what I was looking at yesterday. When I followed that harness it appeared to e tied into the main harness. I then looked for a picture of the main harness to see if those plugs are present, and came up empty.

Ok, so what to do? Would you rather replace the entire harness and have the dealer tearing into your car or just the two plugs? I really want to originality of the car to remain, so cobbling together a plug is not my first choice.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's
    Items for Sale

I mean you either have to replace the harness or source the 2 plugs and replace them. You should be able to replace them and have it look OEM still. Replacing the harness will require some labor. The harness runs around the back of the engine and is bolted on in a few sections.

Veteran Member Four Rings CoreyRS's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 65vetteC6 View Post
    I mean you either have to replace the harness or source the 2 plugs and replace them. You should be able to replace them and have it look OEM still. Replacing the harness will require some labor. The harness runs around the back of the engine and is bolted on in a few sections.
    Is the chewed up insulation replaceable?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyRS View Post
    On the wire or firewall? I would imagine there is a part number for the firewall stuff but it probably isn't cheap!

Veteran Member Four Rings koolade9's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS4, 190e 16v, e46 M3

Call me ghetto, but I'd hit the junkyard, find a 2.0t and cut long enough pig tails from its harness. Then dissect your harness until you get to clean wire, and solder in the "new" pigtails.
    FRRG AZ Ring

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

^^That's what I was looking at yesterday. When I followed that harness it appeared to e tied into the main harness. I then looked for a picture of the main harness to see if those plugs are present, and came up empty.

Ok, so what to do? Would you rather replace the entire harness and have the dealer tearing into your car or just the two plugs? I really want to originality of the car to remain, so cobbling together a plug is not my first choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolade9 View Post
    Call me ghetto, but I'd hit the junkyard, find a 2.0t and cut long enough pig tails from its harness. Then dissect your harness until you get to clean wire, and solder in the "new" pigtails.
    this is really your only option, though I'd use heatshrink butt connectors vs soldering. I looked in ETKA and the entire engine harness is a single part # (8e1-971-074-[KC, KD]), with only the connectors listed as individually replaceable.
    2007 RS4 Sprint/Ebony, Ti, 110k
    JHM/BC Racing/Milltek/oCarbon

RIP 2002 A4 2.0TQM Denim/Ebony, 243k
    FWD->AWD, Bische-tuned GT2871R

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyRS View Post
    Yes, I think you are referring to the shock tower piece which is $32 and I already have it. I'll install it after the wires get sorted.

65, the wall insulation is what they are always going for. The two side pieces are small and easy to replace. The center is going to e a lot more difficult if it were to get chewed on. Lucky for me, only the passenger side shock tower is damaged. Easy fix.

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pr...E0863802C.html

Quote Originally Posted by koolade9 View Post
    I'm almost there. Beginning to think about the salvage yard but I'm not ready for that yet. I was at the dealer today and spoke to them about the harness and yes, Matt and Vette, you are correct in that it's one big harness. Audi Tech said, don't remove the motor. If's it's never been out, don't take it out. Repair the harness and it will be good as new, as to replace the harness, it's an engine drop.

So there it is. Getting it repaired on Monday along with a CC and an Ohlin rebuild. Was going to attack it all myself, but I think Pacific German will do the work next week.

Appreciate all the replies. I'll keep ya posted on progress.
    Keyboard is on its way out. Please ignore any grammatical errors.

Veteran Member Four Rings Mr. Corey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audis
    Items for Sale

Bummer that happened to your baby!!! I ended up getting a bag for my car when the mice ate my hood liner and firewall foam. I still use dryer sheets and Irish springs soap inside the bag during the winter months as preventive. Hope they get her back to mint again!
    B6 Nogaro with lots of mods
    BUILD THREAD

Photography Website www.coreymaywalt.com

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I purchased new connector plugs. Still looking for an exact match for for the cam position sensor so if anyone has a connector, I'll buy.

I'm going to solder new connectors on this weekend and move forward. Picked up the exact same loom, some wire shrink wrap and all I need to make it look exactly the same would be that CPS connector. The one I purchased is OEM equivalent and is slightly different in shape. No big, but if I can get an exact match, I'll do it. In the meantime these are going in.

Dealer suggested against a new harness as they said, if the motor has never been out of the car, don't take it out. It will never be exactly the same. I don't necessarily agree, but if the guy who's going to be doing the work told me, then I'll listen.

Thanks for all the assistance members! Appreciate it!

p.s. found out that the critter is a ground squirrel. That guy's been taking all our citrus from a bowl in the back yard. My wife pulls the oranges and places them in this bowl by the sliding glass. The squirrel runs up, looks in the window, grabs an orange and then bails back to his hole in the back yard. He got stuck in one of my traps and managed to get away.

Veteran Member Four Rings BCsniper's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 S4 6MT Avant, B6 3.0 Avant 6MT (for sale), C5 A6 2.8
    Items for Sale

Irish spring soap, huh?

cause I get mice in the shop I use since it's out near woods, and I've found it really odd that they go into the bathroom and chew on the bar of Lava soap I have sitting out. I do definitely keep dryer sheets in my toolbox though.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by BCsniper View Post
    Irish spring soap, huh?

cause I get mice in the shop I use since it's out near woods, and I've found it really odd that they go into the bathroom and chew on the bar of Lava soap I have sitting out. I do definitely keep dryer sheets in my toolbox though.
    I use to have a babysitter that would wash my mouth out with that Lava soap. It doesn't taste very good. Dead serious!

Veteran Member Four Rings Chuuey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 911

As an aside I've heard peppermint is very good at deterring rodents. A close friend has used it for years when storing his 930 and has yet to have a problem.
    Matt
    2010 911 C2
    1991 Titanium Grey 200 20v Avant

Previous:
    B5 S4 Avant
    B8 S4 6MT
    B7 RS4
    Avantoberfest
    IG@photoproto

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I like the peppermint idea. Gonna go that route,

Senior Member Three Rings OscarMeyer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    VW/AUDI Only

Quote Originally Posted by Chuuey View Post
    As an aside I've heard peppermint is very good at deterring rodents. A close friend has used it for years when storing his 930 and has yet to have a problem.
    This X2.

I do pepper mint soaked rags in the garage, and a few dryer sheets inside the car. Haven't had an issue, and mine sits all winter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    07 RS4 - Projekt: Pandora

Veteran Member Four Rings Chuuey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 911

I like the peppermint idea. Gonna go that route,
    Get some peppermint oil and you're good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarMeyer View Post
    This X2.

I do pepper mint soaked rags in the garage, and a few dryer sheets inside the car. Haven't had an issue, and mine sits all winter.

This!

Matt
    2010 911 C2
    1991 Titanium Grey 200 20v Avant

Previous:
    B5 S4 Avant
    B8 S4 6MT
    B7 RS4
    Avantoberfest
    IG@photoproto

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

So NOW it's time for the mouse advice? I guess as long as it comes exactly when you're ready for it... Wonder about the people in this group sometimes.

Senior Member Three Rings OscarMeyer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    VW/AUDI Only

Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    So NOW it's time for the mouse advice? I guess as long as it comes exactly when you're ready for it... Wonder about the people in this group sometimes.
    Like usual posts on audizine get deleted. Just noticed everything you posted as well as mine got deleted...

07 RS4 - Projekt: Pandora

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

All the wiring is repaired. Started with a nice solder, heat shrink wrap on the exposed wires, then some expanding loom for the time being. I'll have to order the solid flex loom in 1/8 as I couldn't find it anywhere in town. Installing the shock tower insulation this afternoon and it's back together today.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

All the wiring is repaired. Started with a nice solder, heat shrink wrap on the exposed wires, then some expanding loom for the time being. I'll have to order the solid flex loom in 1/8 as I couldn't find it anywhere in town. Installing the shock tower insulation this afternoon and it's back together today.

[img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/810/27223050738_9521144d11_z.jpg[img]
    [img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/866/27223051498_5dcc0c011f_z.jpg[img]
    [img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/785/27223051048_032a93876b_z.jpg[img]
    [img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/877/27223051288_8fc560080b_b.jpg[img]
    Nice job, looks professionally repaired and very OEM like . Just curious, did the insulation that covers the passenger side of the firewall have a part number? Mines started to fall apart and I was originally just going to cover it with an engine cover but wouldn't mind replacing it if it's easy and fairly cheap.
    -Sean

F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Yes it does. This came off the insulation.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thank you! Were there hoses or other things that run through it that required the removal of many parts in the engine bay or did it just fit around them and was easily to install?
    -Sean

F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by b6bydesign04 View Post
    Thank you! Were there hoses or other things that run through it that required the removal of many parts in the engine bay or did it just fit around them and was easily to install?
    I have yet to receive mine in the mail. I removed the old one and there are two things attached to the firewall that you will have to pull off. Also might be easier moving the air intake box in it's entirety. I'll post up when mine arrives and I install it. I'll do a video for ya.