Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Center X-pipe

  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Center X-pipe

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I recently bought some used JHM 2.75Ē downpipes and wanted to add the same diameter X pipe when I install them. I currently have an ECS H pipe and stock exhaust. JHM says they donít sell the Xpipe by itself. Any thoughts?


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  2. #2
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 09 2016
    AZ Member #
    387880
    Location
    Charlotte NC

    My experience with jhm customer service and trying to get a certain part for their exhaust is very poor, you can try contacting fast intentions, the company who makes jhm exhaust. they may be able to help you out. Or buy jhm full exhaust, it really does sound amazing.
    2008 black rs4
    2001 nardo miata
    Charlotte, NC

  3. #3
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Iíll give Fast Intention a call. I finally got in touch with JHM today (fourth try), and they were nice but said not available by itself. Would a custom x of the same diameter provided the same benefits, or is there a lot of research behind it?

    Iíd love the full exhaust, but donít want to piss off the neighbors. I have a cool on off switch for the exhaust flaps thatís separate from the Sport button when I need it a little quieter.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  4. #4
    Senior Member Three Rings MugelloB7RS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06 2015
    AZ Member #
    313804
    Location
    Toronto

    Quote Originally Posted by jcmii View Post
    Would a custom x of the same diameter provided the same benefits




    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Yes, you would be fine and get the same gains with a custom piece. Thats what I did. My car came with Tubi mufflers, so I had a custom x pipe made and all is well. This would be my vote.

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Custom sounds like the easiest option. Do you mind saying how much it cost


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  6. #6
    Senior Member Three Rings MugelloB7RS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06 2015
    AZ Member #
    313804
    Location
    Toronto

    I don't even remember. It depends on the size of the tube, which metal they use, type of welding. My gut says it was in the $450 Canadian range, but don't quote me on that.

  7. #7
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings b6bydesign04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 14 2005
    AZ Member #
    8781
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Items for Sale

    I got a quote for $550 from a local shop here in Charlotte. Thought it was a bit on the high side, but they do excellent fab work. Ended up going with a Milltek catback though which includes a h-pipe.
    Last edited by b6bydesign04; Today at 07:14 AM.
    -Sean
    2008 RS4 | Suzuka Gray/Exclusive Interior | Ti | KW| Milltek | Apikol | 034


    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.

  9. #9
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Iím hoping to keep 2.75Ē back to the stock muffler, so I may try custom.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings b6bydesign04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 14 2005
    AZ Member #
    8781
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by jcmii View Post
    Iím hoping to keep 2.75Ē back to the stock muffler, so I may try custom.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Yeah, if you want 2.75" your best bet is custom or the full JHM exhaust. Supersprint and Magnaflow both make x-pipes for the RS4 but they're both 2.5" (same of course with Milltek and AWE). It's a bummer JHM doesn't offer the x-pipe separate from their exhaust system.
    -Sean
    2008 RS4 | Suzuka Gray/Exclusive Interior | Ti | KW| Milltek | Apikol | 034


    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.

  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings flavormonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 14 2015
    AZ Member #
    332692
    My Garage
    RS4 Avus Silver Pearl
    Location
    United States

    Quote Originally Posted by jcmii View Post
    Iím hoping to keep 2.75Ē back to the stock muffler, so I may try custom.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Im looking to go that route also. Any leads on fabrication??

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    IG: @Blu_Fin_RS4 - @flavormonkey - @chakrascience

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Four Rings koolade9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 11 2008
    AZ Member #
    26294
    My Garage
    RS4, 190e 16v, e46 M3
    Location
    602

    Quote Originally Posted by jcmii View Post
    Iím hoping to keep 2.75Ē back to the stock muffler, so I may try custom.
    Not sure if trolling...

    Your stock mufflers are <2.5". You will have effectively gained, nothing.
    FRRG AZ Ring

  13. #13
    Senior Member Three Rings guglielmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 02 2008
    AZ Member #
    24816
    Location
    Westchester, NY

    Better off selling the down pipes and finding a used valved exhaust. Like a milltek or may just the scorpion back boxes.

    Do the JHM downpipes have cats?

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    I always understood that the the further back you place the restrictions, the better. If I have the 2.75 DPís and the same diameter x pipe, there should be no restrictions to airflow until the stock mufflers. Also, I think the ECS H pipe is 2.25Ē. The xpipe should provide gains in power, albeit small, and it sounds great too.
    Iím going for it regardless. Iíd get the whole JHM system, but I think my neighbors would hate me. One neighbor already said Iím his alarm clock.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  15. #15
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jun 17 2017
    AZ Member #
    401293
    Location
    Md

    Is there a performance difference between a X vs H pipe with other all things being the same?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app

  16. #16
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Iíve read some old threads on here saying there is. Seems the V8 firing pattern benefits from the X. Just what Iíve read.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  17. #17
    Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 12 2015
    AZ Member #
    364349
    Location
    Oregon

    I watched a show that they tried 3 types of exhausts on i believe it was a mustang v8. Strait piped, x pipe and h pipe. All dyno figures were within like 2 hp of each other effectively making no difference except for sound.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Audizine mobile app
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Four Rings b6bydesign04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 14 2005
    AZ Member #
    8781
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by B7rs4inMD View Post
    Is there a performance difference between a X vs H pipe with other all things being the same?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    Some good info here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...highlight=pipe
    -Sean
    2008 RS4 | Suzuka Gray/Exclusive Interior | Ti | KW| Milltek | Apikol | 034


    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.

  19. #19
    Veteran Member Three Rings Seattle squash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 27 2013
    AZ Member #
    108405
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 + BMW E92 328i (modified a bit more)
    Location
    Seattle

    Center X-pipe

    Installing a custom ďtrueĒ X next week, getting fitment/geometry right, but here is some progress pics and will go with 14Ē inline MF resonators.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Seattle squash; 02-16-2018 at 11:50 PM.

  20. #20
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Very nice. I may have a line on a JHM xpipe by itself. Iíll have the catted DPís, xpipe and stock mufflers. Iíll post some updates.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  21. #21
    Veteran Member Three Rings Seattle squash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 27 2013
    AZ Member #
    108405
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 + BMW E92 328i (modified a bit more)
    Location
    Seattle

    Cool, keep us posted as it is tough to find them pre-fabbed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Wilco.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  23. #23
    Registered Member Four Rings Peter1.8t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 03 2009
    AZ Member #
    51598
    Location
    PNW, Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by B7rs4inMD View Post
    Is there a performance difference between a X vs H pipe with other all things being the same?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    There is if the rest of the exhaust is set up properly. Itís called scavenging. Without getting into the size debate it sort of goes like so...

    You have to think about the exhaust gas as pulses. Each time a cylinder fires a pulse of exhaust comes out the the heads. Starting from the top we have tri Y headers coming off the heads, these flow into the downpipes then the rest of the cat back where the X will be. The idea with the performance gains with the X pipe is to help to help pull exhaust gasí down off the opposite bank, accelerating it quicker than normal, thus getting exhaust gasí out quicker which makes the engine (air pump) more efficient. Thatís about as basic of definition that I can come up with at this hour. Thereís some great exhaust articles out there that explain in far better detail.

  24. #24
    Established Member Two Rings flavormonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 14 2015
    AZ Member #
    332692
    My Garage
    RS4 Avus Silver Pearl
    Location
    United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1.8t View Post
    There is if the rest of the exhaust is set up properly. Itís called scavenging. Without getting into the size debate it sort of goes like so...

    You have to think about the exhaust gas as pulses. Each time a cylinder fires a pulse of exhaust comes out the the heads. Starting from the top we have tri Y headers coming off the heads, these flow into the downpipes then the rest of the cat back where the X will be. The idea with the performance gains with the X pipe is to help to help pull exhaust gasí down off the opposite bank, accelerating it quicker than normal, thus getting exhaust gasí out quicker which makes the engine (air pump) more efficient. Thatís about as basic of definition that I can come up with at this hour. Thereís some great exhaust articles out there that explain in far better detail.
    👍😎

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    IG: @Blu_Fin_RS4 - @flavormonkey - @chakrascience

  25. #25
    Established Member Two Rings flavormonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 14 2015
    AZ Member #
    332692
    My Garage
    RS4 Avus Silver Pearl
    Location
    United States

    Quote Originally Posted by jcmii View Post
    Very nice. I may have a line on a JHM xpipe by itself. Iíll have the catted DPís, xpipe and stock mufflers. Iíll post some updates.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Get me one too ;) hehe

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    IG: @Blu_Fin_RS4 - @flavormonkey - @chakrascience

  26. #26
    Established Member Two Rings jcmii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    68027
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Stand by...


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  27. #27
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Dec 09 2014
    AZ Member #
    301535
    Location
    Yakima, WA

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle squash View Post
    Installing a custom ďtrueĒ X next week, getting fitment/geometry right, but here is some progress pics and will go with 14Ē inline MF resonators.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How much will you be into that with all material and handy work.. install??
    ... I plan on a full custom fab exhaust for mine this summer also, was looking at sourcing material from these guys - http://www.mandrelbends.com/ ... they carry multiple styles of pre-fabbed X and H pipes in 304SS, choice of sizing etc.

    I like that they're a local company to the PNW, has anybody on here dealt with or have some insight on them??

  28. #28
    Established Member Two Rings flavormonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 14 2015
    AZ Member #
    332692
    My Garage
    RS4 Avus Silver Pearl
    Location
    United States

    Quote Originally Posted by jcmii View Post
    Stand by...


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine


    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    IG: @Blu_Fin_RS4 - @flavormonkey - @chakrascience

  29. #29
    Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 12 2015
    AZ Member #
    364349
    Location
    Oregon

    Quote Originally Posted by vtecmonster View Post
    How much will you be into that with all material and handy work.. install??
    ... I plan on a full custom fab exhaust for mine this summer also, was looking at sourcing material from these guys - http://www.mandrelbends.com/ ... they carry multiple styles of pre-fabbed X and H pipes in 304SS, choice of sizing etc.

    I like that they're a local company to the PNW, has anybody on here dealt with or have some insight on them??
    I ordered my exhaust piping and cut and made my own exhaust. I ALMOST went with www.manderalbends.com, to order some piping, but ended up finding the piping on ebay for 1/2the price. (304 stainless 2.5..... same exact piping as manderalbends.com, just sourced elsewhere with free shipping) The thing that Web site gets you on is shipping. Piping was going to be at least $100 more through them because of shipping... and I got 2x as much stainless as they included in their kit, for much cheeper. Just my .02c

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

  30. #30
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Dec 09 2014
    AZ Member #
    301535
    Location
    Yakima, WA

    Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    I ordered my exhaust piping and cut and made my own exhaust. I ALMOST went with www.manderalbends.com, to order some piping, but ended up finding the piping on ebay for 1/2the price. (304 stainless 2.5..... same exact piping as manderalbends.com, just sourced elsewhere with free shipping) The thing that Web site gets you on is shipping. Piping was going to be at least $100 more through them because of shipping... and I got 2x as much stainless as they included in their kit, for much cheeper. Just my .02c

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Gotcha! ...But it's hard to find 2.75" bends on ebay. I just seen that mandrel bends have 2.75" available in their product selection.

    Seattle squash: What diameter are you using on your custom X-pipe??

  31. #31
    Veteran Member Four Rings RAudi Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05 2006
    AZ Member #
    13954
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by b6bydesign04 View Post
    I got a quote for $550 from a local shop here in Charlotte. Thought it was a bit on the high side, but they do excellent fab work. Ended up going with a Milltek catback though which includes a x-pipe.
    H Pipe on the Milltek

  32. #32
    Veteran Member Three Rings Seattle squash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 27 2013
    AZ Member #
    108405
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 + BMW E92 328i (modified a bit more)
    Location
    Seattle

    My custom will be right around the stock diameter, at 2.5 tops I think, to get clean welds w/existing stock piping, installed this Thursday. :)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    Veteran Member Four Rings b6bydesign04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 14 2005
    AZ Member #
    8781
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by RAudi Driver View Post
    H Pipe on the Milltek
    Ah yep, good catch!
    -Sean
    2008 RS4 | Suzuka Gray/Exclusive Interior | Ti | KW| Milltek | Apikol | 034


    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.