Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

$525-ish to repair Alcantara seat base??

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I took my car in to an Upholsterer today to see what it would cost to get the "Alcant-errible" on my driver's seat base replaced. Nice enough Gentleman (owner of the shop), but an estimate of $525.00? And that's with me bringing him the seat!

Just curious if y'all had any comparable experience. I'm pretty sure I could get an entire black leather interior for not a whole lot more.

Thanks!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Probably depends on the country, but here - in Latvia - for seat base You'd pay around 100. Your guy does ask too much in my opinion.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings Sliferman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'd shop around and get some estimates from different places. Then make your decision based on what you find.

$525 seems pretty overpriced, but what do I know about the upholstery buisness.

2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan 6MT

Active Member Two Rings triton6346's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That does seem high, but then again....I've looked for an OEM replacement cover for the bottom cushion of my driver's seat, in "silver" alcantara, and they are crazy expensive. Can't say that I found one under $600 at the usual online locations. It's been a while since I last looked, but I recall deciding that I'd just live with the tiny hole instead. I'll bet it's easily an hour getting the piece off and putting the new one back on. Maybe this is easy... like Sliferman said "...what do I know about the upholstery business".

Senior Member Three Rings Everfly's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You can buy a new one for that price

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings s4ski's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4 Avant, Skiis

I agree, a little expensive. The problem is, you can't get the original Alcantara fabric, so whatever they use for fabric it will never match exactly in color, nap and sheen. See my thread here

So you either re-uphoslter the seat and back of both front seats, or replace the seat cover with OEM, if you want it to look right.

Full interior in leather for $500! That sounds doubtful, what kind of quality leather?

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Wrecked B7 A4
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by s4ski View Post
    Full interior in leather for $500! That sounds doubtful, what kind of quality leather?
    I believe they mean to replace it with a used set in better condition.

Veteran Member Four Rings q_dubz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4
    Items for Sale

I had my fabric bottom replaced for $200 but that involved me taking the seat apart for the guy because that shit IS NOT EASY!!

The fabric which I still have plenty of is about 95% correct in matching. It's just slllllllllighty tan in comparison and I can only tell in direct sunlight when it was outside the car. I have pics somewhere...
    Boost EVERYTHING!
    B7 S4 Turbo 4.163L BHF <<<CLICKY ;) #willraceforcookies #gapcity #gapcounty

Senior Member Three Rings Everfly's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by q_dubz View Post
    i had my fabric bottom replaced for $200 but that involved me taking the seat apart for the guy because that shit is not easy!!

The fabric which i still have plenty of is about 95% correct in matching. It's just slllllllllighty tan in comparison and i can only tell in direct sunlight when it was outside the car. I have pics somewhere...
    care to share where you get the material please
    thanks

Senior Member Three Rings s4ski's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4 Avant, Skiis

I tried swatches from three companies: Gulf Fabric, Capital and UK Hide. Out of those, UK Hide had the best match, IMO.