Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

B9 S4 - trim selection + sport diff - comments needed

Hi all,

First time posting here but I've been reading for the past years. I've watched a ton of youtube videos on the S4 B9 and read what I could here before posting my question to get your input on the question.

I've been debating what trim to choose from for the 2018 S4, I need to decide this week. Budget doesn't allow me to go with the fully loaded prestige with rear sport diff so I need to pick my battle to make it fit in my allocated budget.

Choice A : premium plus + sport rear diff + carbon inlets

Choice B : prestige

I don't care so much about the virtual cockpit, it's certainly a nice thing to have, but how much will it make me enjoy the ride compared to the rear sport diff. Not having the B&O sound system is a bummer, but how bad the basic audio concert in the premium plus can really be? I'm coming from 12 years driving a Subaru WRX (2003 and 2013) so anything Audi has to offer will be a huge improvement.

Does anyone hear a noticeable difference between the B&O sound system and the audio concert in the basic trim?

I'm not planning to do any lapping with the car, just some sporty driving, some drifting as I'm stuck living up north with a ton of snow for 4 months a year...

I would really appreciate your input to help me make the most enjoyable ride out of the upcoming S4.

Thanks!

Senior Member Two Rings moonlights4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 S4

I personally think the sport diff is well worth it. I can feel it every time I take a corner hard under throttle. It genuinely makes the car fun to drive, and the size of the car coupled with the sport diff has such great handling that I sold my previous S6 within a year of purchasing it CPO just to go back to this platform. I have a fully loaded model and love everything about it, but I would give up the virtual cockpit and other goodies that come with the Prestige package to keep the sport diff. In my opinion, that's THE reason to get an S4 over an A4, apart from straight line speed. I know there are some people who say that you don't benefit from the sport diff unless you track the car, but I personally can attest to the massive difference it makes, as I owned B8.5s both without and with the diff. The sport diff allows me to really enjoy the car at legal speeds on the street since you can wag the tail a bit on hard turns. It's especially fun with a bit of wet or snow.

Also, the carbon inlays are awesome, and 100% worth it, IMO.
    2018 S4 Prestige, S Sport, DAP, Dynamic Steering, Cold Weather
    Past Cars:
    2014 S6 Prestige, APR Stage 2 ECU/TCU, APR Downpipes
    2014 S4 Prem+ DSG
    2013 S4 Prem+ DSG
    2010 Q5 Prem+ 3.2 V6

Senior Member Three Rings TurboQuattroPwr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Choice A hands down!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2018 Audi S4 3.0T
    18% Tint, CquartzPro Ceramic Coating

2002 Audi A4 1.8TQM *Gone*

premium plus doesn't come with B&O in Canada? It does in the US.

It's really hit or miss with B&O. The higher frequencies always sound better, guitar strings sound crazy real, but there's barely any low end on most B&O setups, which kills it for genres like hip-hop. The non B&O higher frequencies don't sound as good, but it makes up for it on the low end. Since I listen mostly to hip-hop (don't judge me), I like the non-B&O better.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Get choice A

Senior Member Two Rings S4_Pedro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Two Rings moonlights4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 S4

The adaptive suspension is also pretty nice as well. Comfort mode rides like a luxury car and dynamic turns it into a pretty rigid feeling sport sedan. Kind of like having two cars in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 S4 Prestige, S Sport, DAP, Dynamic Steering, Cold Weather
    Past Cars:
    2014 S6 Prestige, APR Stage 2 ECU/TCU, APR Downpipes
    2014 S4 Prem+ DSG
    2013 S4 Prem+ DSG
    2010 Q5 Prem+ 3.2 V6

Established Member Two Rings chrishansin's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1991 Nissan 300 ZX Twin Turbo (Stillen Stage 3 Kit)

Choice A. I drove a S4 without sport and one with. It was noticeable and does make a difference in how fun it was really drive.
    2018 S4 - Glacier White Metallic - S Sport Package - Fine Nappa Leather - Carbon Inlays - Audi Beam Rings - Navigation Package - 19" 5 Spoke V Wheels

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks all for your input, it confirms what I was thinking.

There's something else that bothers me... I'm 6'2 with a bad back, I can't setup my seat more than 5 degres angle... so pratically driving straight up. I put the seat completely down and I have the head almost touching the sealing... I'm normally avoiding sunroof in sedans because of the lack of headroom. I love the S4 but I would love to get an extra inch not to feel squeezed up while driving. I test drove a C43 AMG and it was even worst, my head was literaly touching the ceiling at all time, great car, great sound, but physically I just can't fit.

All that to say, I test drove an SQ5 yesterday, car feels so different than the S4 obviously but it was still a pleasant ride. Got plenty of headroom in that one compared to the S4... Now I'm debating which way to go. For the most fun experience to drive the car, I would go with the S4 hands down. But the fact I finally get some headroom is really nice to have to be honest. We have another family car so the extra cargo is not a necessity, but it's always nice to have with two young kids (3-5 years old).

I was about to pull the trigger on the SQ5 but we don't get the black optics package yet on the sq5 nor the d shape steering wheel yet. Those will more likely be available on the 2019 models.

If only I was an inch or two smaller I wouldn't be debating on the s4 or not. Sucks...

just drive with the sunroof open all the time.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S4, 2016 Audi Q5

I currently have option 1 and love it. I'm 6'3" feel your pain about your height. That was the reason I didn't go for the S3. I couldn't get the seat low enough. Have you driven an A6 3.0? Similar price but probably not an option -- or just drive the S4 with the back massager on

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Diokhan View Post
    I currently have option 1 and love it. I'm 6'3" feel your pain about your height. That was the reason I didn't go for the S3. I couldn't get the seat low enough. Have you driven an A6 3.0? Similar price but probably not an option -- or just drive the S4 with the back massager on
    Nah I never sat in a A6.

My intention was to replace my wrx with something that would give me a feeling in the guts while driving and I have to ditch the 3rd pedal so my wife would get to drive my new car. She doesnt care as long the car is confortable and not brutal like my former sti...

I feel in a loose loose situation now : im about to loose the buyer for my wrx with more likely the best price I would ever get for it and on the other side I feel that im not getting 100% the car I want by rushing my new car purchase

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skirch View Post
    I feel in a loose loose situation now : im about to loose the buyer for my wrx with more likely the best price I would ever get for it and on the other side I feel that im not getting 100% the car I want by rushing my new car purchase
    sell it, drive a rental for a few weeks. one of my previous co-workers drove a rental for a couple months because he was too lazy to figure out what he wanted after his previous car was done for.

AZ Member #

I'm coming from 12 years driving a Subaru WRX (2003 and 2013) so anything Audi has to offer will be a huge improvement.
    +1 on the sports diff and carbon inlays........and seriously consider tune & springs
    I also came from 13 yrs in Subies, 4 x Liberty/Legacy wagons. The last was a '08 6spd turbo 'tuned by STi', modded, of course, to 212kw atw.
    However the diff is a must because I believed the quattro was a b-i-g improvement on the AWD. The Subie had subtle chassis/suspension improvements and, in hindsight, would have been right up the S4's fake exhaust pipes. Also in the 7 months, driving on twisty undulating roads, where, when say negotiating a corner which is tighter than it looks intially, with the Subie's AWD one would give it more 'welly' and it would dig in, the S4 gives a hint of understeer before the quattro/diff feels like it does a 'reset' and drives on through the corner. Other owners have noted understeer as well.

Also tested a Merc-AMG C43 and was very disappointed with the quality, finish & driveability. AMG sedans, at least are now made in South Africa. The V8's are still hand built in Germany and shipped to SA.

The sunroof, don't waste your $$$'s. Although its a panoramic roof in the Avant, the opening is too small and is set too far back (being tall, you may bang your head on the roof leading edge on rough roads). The deflector is made of a pantyhose-like material, is hard to clean bugs off and does nothing to deflect the wind coming on to the top of the driver's head = headache. What a design cock-up!!!!
    I would have thought adjusting the seat height to the lowest position (where I have mine) would give you quite excellent headroom. This link discusses the same issue and incl. 2 x 6'4" owners:-
    http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads...stions.362633/
    You will enjoy the S4.
    Last edited by SMI77; 02-18-2018 at 06:58 AM.
    '17 B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ 'quattro' Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    PLUS OZ Racing black 19 x 9 wheels ~ Audi C/Fibre mirror caps ~ Eibach Springs "07-22" ~ 034 M/sports rear sway bar ~ Goodridge s/s braided lines ~ PowerStop ceramic pads
    RS style s/s black tips ~ Relak s/wheel paddles ~ DTUK Tune/Pedal boxes ~ De-badged ~ Puddle LEDs 'OOOO'/'Audi' & 'quattro' ~ RS style black grille & carbon effect 'OOOO'

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Here in Australia bought the S4 it comes loaded default with alot but my extras on top

are
    Sports differential.
    Technik package (matrix headlights)
    Sunroof
    Black exterior
    Carbon inlays
    Sunroof
    Passenger blinds

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Update on my situation. I've lost my buyer for my subie but the dealer is offering me pretty much the same price.

Went to the ongoing car show today with the wife and kids to clarify what the plan will be for our cars in the upcoming year. We'll also change our Outback for another SUV in the upcoming year.

The s4 is still on my list obviously and I read everyone's comments about the rear diff again. Still debating a bit if I'll be missing out on the premium package.

I called up my salesman and at the moment there's one prog + atlas + rear diff + red caliper with 19 inch wheels available. Only missing the side assist from my list of options which is included in the prestige trim.

The prestige trim offers more on the interior experience and the premium plus with rear diff would be more of the driving experience. On day to day usage, would the rear diff be really noticable? I'm not going to put the car on a track, just some spirited driving to enjoy the car. My crazy(ier) days behind the wheels are a bit behind me. I live with snow 4 months minimum a year so slidding around a round about is always fun and could be achieve easily with and without the rear diff.

Going to call my dealer and see price difference on a prestige + atlas tomorrow amd it may help me go one way or the other...

Senior Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

side assist is one of the most valuable safety systems available. you should not get an audi w/o it. sport diff is also well worth it. get both. you are spending a lot of money do NOT compromise , you will regret it.
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jygesq View Post
    side assist is one of the most valuable safety systems available. you should not get an audi w/o it. sport diff is also well worth it. get both. you are spending a lot of money do NOT compromise , you will regret it.
    Thanks for your input. You confirm my thoughts about the side assist as I really wanted it to be part of this next car.

Heading to the dealer now to compare the ibis white and glacier white. My seller just called me to say he was wrong on the color code of the prestige + atlas + rear diff... I need to choose from ibis white with rear difd or glacier white without rear diff.

Why is it that complicated to get exactly what I want!!! I know I'm part of the problem, having a hear time making up my mind... ;)

Senior Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

Thanks for your input. You confirm my thoughts about the side assist as I really wanted it to be part of this next car.

Heading to the dealer now to compare the ibis white and glacier white. My seller just called me to say he was wrong on the color code of the prestige + atlas + rear diff... I need to choose from ibis white with rear difd or glacier white without rear diff.

Why is it that complicated to get exactly what I want!!! I know I'm part of the problem, having a hear time making up my mind... ;)

I assume you can order a car they way you want it. My car was ordered and delivered with in 90 days of my order. You can have the way you want if you can wait
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I guess I'll choose the ibis white over the glacier just to have the rear sport diff. Its going to be a prestige with atlas, red calibers with the diff.

I really like the contrast with a light color car (silver and or white) with black grill, wheels, roof wrap, etc...

My seller is going to go mad on me if I make him search for more car variants haha. I saw MOPS s4 on a few snaps and the silver is growing on me too.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I bought the car the local Audi dealer had on the lot on 28 Dec 17.

Premium with the following options:

• Nav Pkg
    • S-Sport
    • Black Optic
    • Mythos Black
    • Carbon Inlays

Stickered at 61,600. I got it for 56 and change.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Deposit done to secure the car and get it transfered to my dealer.

Ended up going with the prestige (technic) trim with sport diff and atlas cf trims in ibis white. The car should be ready by the end of the month by I may pick it up only the 1st week of april to let the weather warm up and not spend on a set of winter tires and wheels.

Pretty thrilled about finally pulling the trigger. First audi ever.

Need to get an EDM front grill now hehe