Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Replacement K04

Senior Member Three Rings rhfosu's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Replacement K04

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My APR K04 blew with only ~20k miles. Looking to replace it with something that isn't $2700.

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What happened to it? Turbos don't normally "blow" at 20,000 miles. Did you suck something into the compressor vanes, or did you have an oil or water line leak, running it out of lube or coolant, or did center shaft seals fail? K04s can be rebuilt if the the rotating assembly (CHRA) is not physically damaged. Rebuild kit with bearings and seals is about $50.

Have you discussed this with APR?
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | K&N E-1987 in "modified" stock air box
    034 silicone throttle body hose

Veteran Member Four Rings pw211's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Sometimes I try to ride my cat around my apartment
    Items for Sale

I would seriously consider above comment. That said, JHM's K04-R is pretty affordable comparably:

https://jhmotorsports.com/products/e...4-a5-2-0t.html
    Pat
    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W
    P.I.I.T.B
    IG: pwwhite
    "I bet if Sean posted a picture of toast it would get 50 likes. And more than 3 people would say 'specs?'" - Solarsuplex

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by MSq5 View Post
    What happened to it? Turbos don't normally "blow" at 20,000 miles. Did you suck something into the compressor vanes, or did you have an oil or water line leak, running it out of lube or coolant, or did center shaft seals fail? K04s can be rebuilt if the the rotating assembly (CHRA) is not physically damaged. Rebuild kit with bearings and seals is about $50.

Nothing was sucked in. Wheels are fine. The seal failed and sucked a bunch of oil into the cold side. Turbo was put on by previous owner in 2014, no transferable warranty. I did not talk to APR, but my shop, which is an authorized APR dealer, did.

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Another option would be professional rebuild. Work Turbochargers in Pelham, AL (Birmingham suburb) is one of the top turbo shops in the country. They do the turbo work on championship racecars and rebuild K04s for Mazdaspeed. I have a Mazdazpeed 3 with one of their BNR upgraded K04 turbos. Previously had them rebuild the OEM K04 before I decided to up the power.

They do the Audi 2.0T as well.

http://www.turborepair.com/audi-a4.html
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | K&N E-1987 in "modified" stock air box
    034 silicone throttle body hose

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thanks guys. I'm definitely calling Work, and I am asking APR about software compatibility with the JHM unit.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by rhfosu View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm definitely calling Work, and I am asking APR about software compatibility with the JHM unit.
    They are probably going to tell you it won't work lol. I think vce1232000 has a JHM K04 with APR software? Maybe shoot him a PM
    Pat
    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W
    P.I.I.T.B
    "I bet if Sean posted a picture of toast it would get 50 likes. And more than 3 people would say 'specs?'" - Solarsuplex

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pw211 View Post
    They are probably going to tell you it won't work lol. I think vce1232000 has a JHM K04 with APR software? Maybe shoot him a PM
    Lol. That's my guess. The shop (APR dealer, not a JHM dealer) says it won't work. JHM says it will. I haven't heard back from APR yet. I'll shoot vce a PM. Thanks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Lol. That's my guess. The shop (APR dealer, not a JHM dealer) says it won't work. JHM says it will. I haven't heard back from APR yet. I'll shoot vce a PM. Thanks.
    Yeah I think the assumption is that you won't get the full performance out of the turbo, but it will more than cover what the APR tune wants from an OEM K04. I don't know enough to speak more intelligently about it though.
    Pat
    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W
    P.I.I.T.B

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by MSq5 View Post

New info: the bearing went out on the wheel and the wheel knocked out the seal. Shop looked at it with a borascope.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

replied to your thread but I have 1 used and 1 new loba k04 that should bolt on, modified to fit a b8 not sure if any adjustments needed for a b7. I also have 1 used transverse k04 that the CHRA could be swapped into your turbo if the housings are not damaged.

All thread ready to go and I could even deliver for the right price.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

Established Member Three Rings funkypterodacty's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I believe vce1232000 is currently running APR K04 on APR software but he did purchase a JHM tune and he is waiting for the final public release to make the switch, as it is still not fully finished yet.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by funkypterodacty View Post
    I believe vce1232000 is currently running APR K04 on APR software but he did purchase a JHM tune and he is waiting for the final public release to make the switch, as it is still not fully finished yet.
    Ah. So the other way around. He's testing their K04 software...

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by funkypterodacty View Post
    Ah. So the other way around. He's testing their K04 software...
    Replied to your pm. Yes. Im still running APR software until JHM does their final release on the APR KO4-0064 S3 kit. My APR KO4 had also took a pre-mature . I got the cartdridge re-@ http://www.timsturbos.com/
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by vce1232000 View Post
    Replied to your pm. Yes. Im still running APR software until JHM does their final release on the APR KO4-0064 S3 kit. My APR KO4 had also took a pre-mature . I got the cartdridge re-@ http://www.timsturbos.com/
    Thanks again! Like I said, I gave Tim a call, and he's my new number 1 option at this point.

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Ship it my way Iíll rebuild it. Iíve got billet compressor wheel.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by canadianA4B7 View Post
    I'd hope so since the stock K04 wheels are ;)
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
    I'd hope so since the stock K04 wheels are ;)
    Strange my CTS k04 was not. I know the Mazda 881 comes with either or in cast and billet but the weight difference is only 1 gram where our billet to casts differ by nearly 3 grams.

This is also in reference to what I have on the shelf.

Edit: added a bit of alternate k04 info.

AZ Member #

Strange my CTS k04 was not.
    As far as I'm aware they are selling genuine BW units, every genuine BW unit I have seen has a billet wheel stock including a CHRA I sold a little while back and ones I took a part to modify 9 years ago. This includes both genuine ones from a dealership and also BW "aftermarket" units.

This is referring to the k04-064/tts/golfr/s3. yes previous generation k04s did not come with billet wheels.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap
    Items for Sale

Do this! Or better yet, get your own CHRA and do it yourself or see if Canadian will see you the one he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by jbain2 View Post
    Do this! Or better yet, get your own CHRA and do it yourself or see if Canadian will see you the one he has.

I found a local guy, literally 3 miles from my house. I'll give him a shot. He says he'll rebuild for $600 out the door. I was getting quotes for $500 for just the CHRA. I'll leave this to the professionals. One blown turbo is enough for me. I don't need to create any new problems for myself.

Senior Member Four Rings james12lucy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    North America's only B7 Chump Car. 2006 2.0T A4, fully gutted, custom Loose Stones Racing Roll Cage,

Might have a complete rebuilt RAI K04-R available in a few weeks. Would be interested in selling/swapping for your blown K04.

B7 Avant, 6MT, Quattro - Brilliant Black: JHM 93 Octane Stage 2 tune, APR HPFP, S3 Injectors, JHM Test Pipe, Stasis Catback, R8 coils, 034 TIP, Custom CIA, 18" VMR 710, Podi Digital Boost Gauge, RS4 rear sway bar, RS4 grill, Eurojet Billet VC, 42DD catch can, Ohlins SL Coilovers w/ Hyperco springs, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, GFB DV+, Brembo 18z.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by james12lucy View Post
    Might have a complete rebuilt RAI K04-R available in a few weeks. Would be interested in selling/swapping for your blown K04.

Thanks. I'm hoping to get back on the road before then.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Update: Turbo is too trashed to rebuild. :( Still looking for a solution that puts something in my hands this week.

Senior Member Four Rings james12lucy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    North America's only B7 Chump Car. 2006 2.0T A4, fully gutted, custom Loose Stones Racing Roll Cage,

Update: Turbo is too trashed to rebuild. :( Still looking for a solution that puts something in my hands this week.
    Keep me in mind if you donít find anything. Itíll be an extremely upgraded RAI K04... TurboSmart Actuator, oversized wastegate port, billet Wheels, extended tip, etc. all the bells and whistles.

B7 Avant, 6MT, Quattro - Brilliant Black: JHM 93 Octane Stage 2 tune, APR HPFP, S3 Injectors, JHM Test Pipe, Stasis Catback, R8 coils, 034 TIP, Custom CIA, 18" VMR 710, Podi Digital Boost Gauge, RS4 rear sway bar, RS4 grill, Eurojet Billet VC, 42DD catch can, Ohlins SL Coilovers w/ Hyperco springs, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, GFB DV+, Brembo 18z.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Iíll buy your parts.