Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Established Member Two Rings JetG0ld's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Monsoon Gray B8.5 S4, Santorin Blue B5 A4, Imola Yellow B5 S4, MK7 VW Alltrack

Intercooler Upgrades

Alright, I've posted about upgrading my turbo and some other components, and now I am onto my FMIC. I've currently got a CX Racing FMIC: https://www.cxracing.com/KIT-A4-B5-IC0035.
    I've purchased a GT28RS, and am running E85 with 750 CC injectors on a stock block (I am accumulating the goods to build a block on the side). Basically, I'm curious if the CX Racing FMIC is sufficient, or if anyone has run something like this Garrett core with improved results?: https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=INT.
    I've got an S4 front bumper on the car, so the FMIC fits fine and is fully concealed with only having to shave out some of the crash bar in the bumper. I plan to shoot for more power when I drop a built block into the car.
    Monsoon Grey B8.5 S4 - Unitronic Stage 2+ SC Pulley - DSG Stage 2
    Santorin Blue B5 A4 1.8t - Motoza Stage 3 E85 - Tiptronic to 5 Speed swap
    Daily Driver-2002 Imola Yellow B5 S4 Tiptronic - Motoza Stage 1

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Definitely worth upgrading the CX Racing FMIC. There were gains even on my F21 setup, after switching from that FMIC to the Treadstone TR18T:
    http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...ercooler+480HP
    Many people including myself have repurposed the CX Racing piping kit with the TR18T. It's taller so will require a little more trimming of the crash bar.
    2001.5 A4 1.8TQM: F21, Motoza E85/750cc/3" MAF/3bar MAP, 3" HFC, custom 2.5" exhaust, TR18T FMIC, DW200 pump, I.E. con rods, Eibach coilovers, 034 RSB, A8/TT front & S4 rear brakes, SS brake lines, JHM SS/linkage, B7 RS4 clutch, 4:1 center diff, 034 street mounts, E-fan, Apikol diff mount, Stern diff bushings, Nexus 7 HU, custom sound system, bixenon, sport cloths

2001.5 S4 Avant: JHM shifter, 3" exhaust, Stage 1, receiving lots of love ($$$)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan View Post
    Definitely worth upgrading the CX Racing FMIC. There were gains even on my F21 setup, after switching from that FMIC to the Treadstone TR18T:
    Many people including myself have repurposed the CX Racing piping kit with the TR18T. It's taller so will require a little more trimming of the crash bar.
    Awesome info! So it looks like the inlet/outlet are more towards the middle of the fmic, so i'm assuming i'd have to cut the crash bar completely? I was hoping to achieve a similar fit with the Garrett one, but better results.

AZ Member #

I adjusted my piping a bit to accommodate the extra height + different placement.
    Also I'm running a different lower valence which reeeaaaalllly helped with TR18T fitment:

Last edited by MetalMan; 02-13-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    2001.5 A4 1.8TQM: F21, Motoza E85/750cc/3" MAF/3bar MAP, 3" HFC, custom 2.5" exhaust, TR18T FMIC, DW200 pump, I.E. con rods, Eibach coilovers, 034 RSB, A8/TT front & S4 rear brakes, SS brake lines, JHM SS/linkage, B7 RS4 clutch, 4:1 center diff, 034 street mounts, E-fan, Apikol diff mount, Stern diff bushings, Nexus 7 HU, custom sound system, bixenon, sport cloths

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I adjusted my piping a bit to accommodate the extra height + different placement.
    Also I'm running a different lower valence which reeeaaaalllly helped with TR18T fitment:

Makes sense, I'm sure I can figure out some way to make it work better. I'm running an S4 bumper myself. Has anyone fit this up with an S4 bumper? I would like to not have to hack it up much.

Established Member Two Rings dalazybastard's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 A4 1.8tqm '01 A4 2.8qm '01 S4 '02 F350 7.3

So to clarify, the Cx Racing welded piping kit can be easily fitted with a tr18?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '01 A4 1.8tqm (Pseudo-Daily) Light Silver Metallic
    stg 1 APR 91 - BBS RC326 w/ PS A/S3+

'01 A4 2.8qm (Daily) Brilliant Black
    17" Celebrations w/ PS A/S3+

'01 S4 6sp Imola Yellow (New Addition)

'05 Passat 1.8t 4mo. Wagon ***sold to parents
    '05 Corolla XRS ***sold

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dalazybastard View Post
    So to clarify, the Cx Racing welded piping kit can be easily fitted with a tr18?
    Well, mine is actually hacked up and modified a bit. But I did that also even when running the CX Racing FMIC.
    So technically I can't answer your question, as my piping kit was already modified prior to installing TR18T.