Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Need to replace front pads and rotors, suggestions on parts and vendor?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Dealership quoted ~$1k for front pad and rotor replacement on the S4 so looking to pick up the parts myself and get an indie shop to do the replacement.

Planning to go with drilled and/or slotted rotors and pads. Suggestions on each? Would like ceramics to reduce dust, but most of my driving is done around the city, so not sure I'd be able to heat them up enough to minimize loss of bite. A lot of people seem to like the Akebono ceramics in particular so have been leaning in that direction.

Have used Hawk DPS pads in the past but wasn't overly impressed (did the install myself, and it's possible we just didn't bed them well), so looking at other options. Aside from Tirerack and ECS, other vendors I should check out?
    -Chris

Past:
    2004.5 A4 1.8TQM / Brilliant Black / Premium / Cold Weather / Sport Wheels / 20% Tint / E-codes

Present:
    B8.5 2014 S4 / Moonlight Blue / Manual / Premium Plus / Nav / Nappa / 19" Wheels
    APR Stage 1 / AWE Touring Exhaust, Black Diamond Tips

Established Member Three Rings fmzip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I went with rotors from here:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ts-of-research

And Akeebono ceramics, love them!
    2015 S4 - Mythos Black - EPL Stage II/DSG Tune - Eurocode Alu Kreuz - Canyon Run CR-15 - 034 RSB/Billet DTB's - C-Quartz Nano - 3M Pro-X PPF - Vorsteiner V-FF 103 - Audison Voce/Prima - P3

Established Member Two Rings street2gen's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
    I went with rotors from here:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ts-of-research

And Akeebono ceramics, love them!
    What was pricing they gave you? Might look into those myself after reading through all that.

Established Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Autozone was the best place I found. They frequently offer 30% off + free shipping.
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2+ | 3.31 PR | E40 + WMI | ...
    452WHP / 443WTQ | 11.374 @ 119.90 | 034 Featured User

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by street2gen View Post
    What was pricing they gave you? Might look into those myself after reading through all that.
    Must have missed what I paid when you read through it all ;)

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...1#post12774049

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post
    Autozone was the best place I found. They frequently offer 30% off + free shipping.
    You definitely get what you pay for. Cheap rotors are something I've always avoided.
    2015 S4 - Mythos Black - EPL Stage II/DSG Tune - Eurocode Alu Kreuz - Canyon Run CR-15 - 034 RSB/Billet DTB's - C-Quartz Nano - 3M Pro-X PPF - Vorsteiner V-FF 103 - Audison Voce/Prima - P3

AZ Member #

You definitely get what you pay for. Cheap rotors are something I've always avoided.
    Yes yes i did, i really wasnt paying attention to who was posting what. Just reading. so that was awhile back, but seems like they stick around the same pricing. I will email and find out thanks.

AZ Member #

I agree, don't get their in-house shit. They stock Brembo/EBC/Stoptech/etc.

That mixed with their discount and great return policy made it a no-brainer.
    Geoff

Established Member Three Rings brs2c's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you have intetest in reducing rotational mass, I went with this kit https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...8k0698301mkt6/ .
    The math suggests this is like losing 108 lbs out of the car.

Also, since you will be losing braking surface with drilled and slotted, and giving up initial bite with ceramic- having less mass to stop and steel lines helps offset the loss of bite and surface area. However, you should know that your normal braking is still going feel musher and require more pedal input. Under hard braking, the ceramic grips increasingly well and drilled and slotted helps to dissipate heat.
    2013 S4, Monsoon Grey, DSG, B&O, Sport Diff, Nappa || Custom 3.5" Velocity Stack Intake, EPL Stage 2+, Fluidampr 183mm CP, EPL TCU, AMS Alpha Cooler || VMR V804's (19x9.5 et45), ECS 2-piece Rotors, Stainless Lines, 034 SB, 034 inserts.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by brs2c View Post
    If you have intetest in reducing rotational mass, I went with this kit https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...8k0698301mkt6/ .

Also, since you will be losing braking surface with drilled and slotted, and giving up initial bite with ceramic- having less mass to stop and steel lines helps offset the loss of surface area. However, you should know that your normal braking is going to still feel musher and require more pedal input. Under hard braking, the ceramic grips increasingly well and drilled and slotted helps to dissipate heat.
    Read somewhere they had a problem with warping on their rotors?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post
    I agree, don't get their in-house shit. They stock Brembo/EBC/Stoptech/etc.

That mixed with their discount and great return policy made it a no-brainer.
    Yeah I just had looked and saw brembo listed online but that was it, $160 for front pair. How did you get 30% just something they do from time to time? Sorry never pay attention to Autozone lol.

AZ Member #

Yeah I just had looked and saw brembo listed online but that was it, $160 for front pair. How did you get 30% just something they do from time to time? Sorry never pay attention to Autozone lol.
    I never did either until they came in like $60 lower than everyone else for parts. Then I ordered a duplicate part accidently and their service was great. (Just drop it off in store and get a full refund)

It doesn't look like they are having any sales specials right now, it was more just a heads up.
    Geoff

Active Member Two Rings pgraham76's Avatar
    AZ Member #

While you're doing it. The ECS two piece wave rotors with akebono ceramic pads. The reduced rotational mass increases MPGs and totally offsets the cost. At least that's what I told myself. Likely a total lie to spend my money on cool parts. They work super well though and the reduced dust from the ceramic pads makes cleaning the wheels a breeze. So it's also a time saver. It's a win win if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pgraham76 View Post
    At least that's what I told myself. Likely a total lie to spend my money on cool parts.

My mantra at times as well ;)

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I just purchased Brembos from them. All four corners for $299 after tax, had them in two days.

I wouldíve gone with Zimmermanís from ECS but I was on borrowed time on the old pads and couldnít wait long enough to get them.

AZ Member #

$160 for the fronts is what I paid, and the cheapest I found for Brembos/Zimmermanís.

AZ Member #

OP looks to be after drilled/slotted though, but if not looks to be one of the cheapest outlets.

Active Member Two Rings JWebb_C7_Comp's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by theweebabyseamus View Post
    $160 for the fronts is what I paid, and the cheapest I found for Brembos/Zimmermanís.
    You could also check-out FCP Euro; they offer life-time replacement, even on brakes.. that said, in my case, I practically replaced all parts, then sold the darn car. So, the life-time replacement means NOTHING to me now.

With my 2018, A6, however, Iíll likely get pads and rotors from FCP whenever itís time and use the replacement warranty going forward!!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings AFR1485's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Fiat 500

Iíve gotten ProStop (pepboys) and Powerstop (Rockauto) rotors for brake jobs I did myself. The hats rusted on the Prostop and I painted the Powerstop hats before the install.

I wouldnít recommend the pepboys rotors because they made made noise with the Akeebono pads installed. I also donít recommend Akeebono if you enjoy a sharper brake feel, Akeebonos make the pedal feel softer (even after a brake flush)

I do recommend the powerstop rotors from rockauto, but I will try the rotors from brake performance next since they are fully zinc coated. I also recommend the Hawk HPS pads I have on now. You need to property break in the pads after the installation but the feel is far superior to Akeebono. Dust is also significantly lower than oem pads. They work best after being heated up and will have a rougher feeling in super low temperatures. Thatís normal for a higher performance pad.

Changing the brakes myself has easily saved me $1200 so far; just make sure you have Vagcom or OBD11 for the job.

Veteran Member Four Rings B72.0T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' Mercedes GLK350 4Matic, 04' GLI

Just get yourself ECS Slotted front and rear rotors, with akebono ceramic pads and call it a day. Don't over think it. I use to have ECS drilled/slotted front and rear rotors with Hawk HPS pads and that was not the best combo because I had some seating issues that later would cause weird noises, and plus you aren't really getting much benefit whatsoever if you choose to go with drilled/slotted rotors, unless you track your car then maybe perhaps... its usually for looka, hence why I didnt get drilled and slotted, just slotted. But if you get what I said earlier you will be happy.
    B8 S4 6-speed
    GIAC Stage II

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

How about just the kit from ECS w/ front & rear Zimmerman's and akebonos? $454 for the kit. This is what I've been looking at as I read in the past somewhere this will reduce (or eliminate) cooler weather brake squeal.

Veteran Member Four Rings B72.0T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' Mercedes GLK350 4Matic, 04' GLI

OP clearly said that he is pretty much avoiding trying to get bent over and paying 1K at the dealership for the service and here some of you guys are throwing out ECS $1099.95 kit at him. Makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by B72.0T; 02-13-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    B8 S4 6-speed
    GIAC Stage II

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B72.0T View Post
    OP clearly said that he is pretty much avoiding trying to get bent over and paying 1K at the dealership for the service and here same of you guys are throwing out ECS $1099.95 kit at him. Makes a lot of sense.
    LOL, true! At least for $1099 from ECS he'd be getting something way better for the money

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaHawk60 View Post
    How about just the kit from ECS w/ front & rear Zimmerman's and akebonos? $454 for the kit. This is what I've been looking at as I read in the past somewhere this will reduce (or eliminate) cooler weather brake squeal.

That's a good deal but if you wanted some nice slotted and dimpled rotors, the link above that I purchased is comparable in price . Just send Athena an email:

Audizine discount

These are dimpled and slotted coated rotors

RB-33138 = $175.00
    RB-33137 = $145.00

TOTAL FOR FRONT & REAR ROTORS = $320.00 -

To order, please call Athena toll free at 866-756-5536. Process time takes 2 to 3 Business days to custom machine and plate the rotors Before shipping out.
    We ship UPS Ground free of charge within the 48 Continental US States. We ship out of California.

Thank you,
    Athena

WHOLESALE DIVISION
    Brakeperformance
    9424 Eton Avenue, Unit I
    Chatsworth, CA 91311
    (818) 772-5540 Direct
    (866) 756-5536 Toll Free
    www.brakeperformance.com
    Last edited by fmzip; 02-14-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Established Member Three Rings B8_Dude97's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Because no one has suggested this but. Go to rock auto and get yourself some stop tech(centric makes stoptech) rotors and akebonos

They say you get what you pay for and stoptech makes good rotors and my hats havenít faded from the original
    Black coating

Out the door was 420 SHIPPED to my house. Not a bad deal for 4 drilled and slotted rotors and akebonos with shipping

* this was for a b8 a4 but pricing should be close

Established Member Two Rings ixez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi S4 (B8.5)

I recently replaced all rotors and pads on my S4.
    I went with 2-piece rotors from ECS like these: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...00690ecs01akt/
    Very happy with my decision. They're 20% lighter than OEM and work great (plus you won't need to replace the whole thing in the future, just rings).

However, I can't say I'm proud of my choice with Akebono pads... No sharp bite, less stopping power. OEM is better albeit all the dust.
    Some people suggest Carbotech xp20/xp24 / Endless MX72 pads, but those are pretty expensive FYI.

Hope that helps and good luck!
    2014 Audi S4 B8.5 Moonlight Blue | Sport Differential | EPL Stage 2+ DP 93 (445 whp/420 wtq) | AMS Alpha Cooling System | Dual Pulley (57mm + 183mm Fluidampr) | Injen Intake | Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | RS Grille | AWE Touring Exhaust + Resonated Downpipes + 102mm Chrome Tips | 18" O.Z. Ultraleggera Gunmetal + Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ | ECS Stage 1 Brake Kit with Cross-Drilled & Slotted Lightweight 2-piece Rotors + Akebono Pads

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Yes yes i did, i really wasnt paying attention to who was posting what. Just reading. so that was awhile back, but seems like they stick around the same pricing. I will email and find out thanks.
    Post up when you hear back.

Quote Originally Posted by pgraham76 View Post
    While you're doing it. The ECS two piece wave rotors with akebono ceramic pads. The reduced rotational mass increases MPGs and totally offsets the cost. At least that's what I told myself. Likely a total lie to spend my money on cool parts. They work super well though and the reduced dust from the ceramic pads makes cleaning the wheels a breeze. So it's also a time saver. It's a win win if you ask me.

That ECS two piece set (the floating set, specifically) was when I first caught myself like, "wait, what?" Looks hot, but I don't often track the car and sort of defeats the point of going with a good-enough set up done at an indie shop.
    -Chris

Past:
    2004.5 A4 1.8TQM / Brilliant Black / Premium / Cold Weather / Sport Wheels / 20% Tint / E-codes

Present:
    B8.5 2014 S4 / Moonlight Blue / Manual / Premium Plus / Nav / Nappa / 19" Wheels
    APR Stage 1 / AWE Touring Exhaust, Black Diamond Tips

Active Member Two Rings FilAlleva's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    13 Kia Forte, 09 Subaru Outback, 06 Merc C230, 99 Jeep GC

Quote Originally Posted by DonfvckingJuan View Post
    Dealership quoted ~$1k for front pad and rotor replacement on the S4 so looking to pick up the parts myself and get an indie shop to do the replacement.

Planning to go with drilled and/or slotted rotors and pads. Suggestions on each? Would like ceramics to reduce dust, but most of my driving is done around the city, so not sure I'd be able to heat them up enough to minimize loss of bite. A lot of people seem to like the Akebono ceramics in particular so have been leaning in that direction.

Have used Hawk DPS pads in the past but wasn't overly impressed (did the install myself, and it's possible we just didn't bed them well), so looking at other options. Aside from Tirerack and ECS, other vendors I should check out?
    Wow. You have an honest dealer! Too bad because it makes the next decision harder. Sounds like you don't track the car. I don't recommend ceramics since they don't perform well when cold. I like Pagid. Long life. Easy on rotors. Since you're in Seattle avoid performance pads with iron. They will rust to your rotors in 8 hours making for this annoying break away problem. If you're not tracking the car go for the drilled rotors. They look cool. (Drilled rotors on the track can lead to cracked rotors).
    13 B8.5 S4 - APR ECU Stage 1, APR TCU - Stoptech ST60 - Potenza RE-71R - Konig Interform 19x8.5 42et

AZ Member #

That ECS two piece set (the floating set, specifically) was when I first caught myself like, "wait, what?" Looks hot, but I don't often track the car and sort of defeats the point of going with a good-enough set up done at an indie shop.

AZ Member #

Yea just daily mine now and have absolutely 0 reasons why I need them other than then look cool. But I've had a few people notice and it's a nice talking point. My commute is 3.5 miles too so no sure it makes sense but they're on now haha. I forget how I raationalized it to myself when I got them.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by brs2c View Post

Also, since you will be losing braking surface with drilled and slotted, and giving up initial bite with ceramic- having less mass to stop and steel lines helps offset the loss of bite and surface area. However, you should know that your normal braking is still going feel musher and require more pedal input. Under hard braking, the ceramic grips increasingly well and drilled and slotted helps to dissipate heat.
    How much less do they weigh?

Established Member Two Rings ixez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi S4 (B8.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Dardan View Post
    How much less do they weigh?
    They're 20% lighter than the factory ones. I lost 20 lbs total with those rotors (-5 lb per piece)
    2014 Audi S4 B8.5 Moonlight Blue | Sport Differential | EPL Stage 2+ DP 93 (445 whp/420 wtq) | AMS Alpha Cooling System | Dual Pulley (57mm + 183mm Fluidampr) | Injen Intake | Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | RS Grille | AWE Touring Exhaust + Resonated Downpipes + 102mm Chrome Tips | 18" O.Z. Ultraleggera Gunmetal + Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ | ECS Stage 1 Brake Kit with Cross-Drilled & Slotted Lightweight 2-piece Rotors + Akebono Pads

Veteran Member Four Rings Cgoon009's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    I have a garage? Do tell...

FCP Euro

Zimmerman Rotors - OEM

Your pick of ceramic pads.

Parts warrantied for life.
    Eurosport Tuning at it's Finest

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4 6MT, 2012 VW CC DSG, 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro, 2017 Corvette M7 Grand Sport

Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads..

Veteran Member Four Rings Cgoon009's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    I have a garage? Do tell...

Quote Originally Posted by S4'ed View Post
    Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads..
    Exactly what I ordered.

FCP has the rotors for approx 350 front and rear

ECS has a full set of Akebono pads for 180ish. (I bet you could find these cheaper, for me it was simpler to tack them on to an existing order.)
    Eurosport Tuning at it's Finest

AZ Member #

Just to chime back in....

Unless your driving like a madman, I don't understand what people are referring to as lack of initial bite on Akeebonos. I've used Hawk HPS 5.0's Pads, Axxis Medal masters...I find the Akeebonos great.

Being a lifelong BMW driver for the past 20 years, the car now has a linear pedal, just like what I have been used to. The initial bite on the stock pads drove me insane! Even my wife couldn't get used to driving the car, coming from a BMW herself. The stock brakes are not like anything you'd find on any other vehicle and I don't find that to be a plus at all

Established Member Three Rings scmtkings4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just to chime back in....

Unless your driving like a madman, I don't understand what people are referring to as lack of initial bite on Akeebonos. I've used Hawk HPS 5.0's Pads, Axxis Medal masters...I find the Akeebonos great.

Being a lifelong BMW driver for the past 20 years, the car now has a linear pedal, just like what I have been used to. The initial bite on the stock pads drove me insane! Even my wife couldn't get used to driving the car, coming from a BMW herself. The stock brakes are not like anything you'd find on any other vehicle and I don't find that to be a plus at all
    Hows does the 5.0 compare to akebonos in your opinion?
    2014 S5

AWE Touring Exhaust l ECS Intake l EPL Dual Pulley 93 l AMS Alpha Cooler

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Are you guys referring to the Performance or the Ultra-Premium Akebonos? Akebono will need a bed in process as well correct? I think I'll have to get pads and/or rotors pretty soon.. I believe I have about 3mm left.

Established Member Two Rings 303 Spartan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi S4 & 2016 Mazda CX5

You've got plenty of responses to your questions. However, I wanted to chime in because I have also been in research mode, since the dealer told me during my 35k service that I need to replace the pads/rotors soon.

I don't spend any time on the track but still want good performance and longevity for daily driving and my occasional canyon mountain drives. I've gone back and forth on a few different options for rotors and pads. In the end, I've settled on this setup:

Front rotors:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...0301mslgmtlra/

Rear rotors:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...0601cslgmtlra/

Pads:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-akebono-...8k0698151hkt2/

Brake wear sensor:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bowa-par...8k0615121~bow/

Caliper piston compression tool:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...ool/scwbk-510/

ECS pad & rotor replacement kit:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...8k0698135akt1/

Lastly, you'll need a way to disengage the rear parking brake to properly change the rear pads. You can do this with the following Carista adapter and the dedicated Carista app:
    https://www.amazon.com/Carista-Bluet.../dp/B00YVHGTBM

Total comes out to just under $780 for everything.
    '14 Estoril Blue S4 / EPL Stage 2 ECU & TCU
    DSG | ADS | Sport Diff | B&O | Tech Pkg | VMR V710 19x8.5 et35

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 303 Spartan View Post
    You've got plenty of responses to your questions. However, I wanted to chime in because I have also been in research mode, since the dealer told me during my 35k service that I need to replace the pads/rotors soon.

I don't spend any time on the track but still want good performance and longevity for daily driving and my occasional canyon mountain drives. I've gone back and forth on a few different options for rotors and pads. In the end, I've settled on this setup:

Front rotors:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...0301mslgmtlra/

Rear rotors:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...0601cslgmtlra/

Pads:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-akebono-...8k0698151hkt2/

Brake wear sensor:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bowa-par...8k0615121~bow/

Caliper piston compression tool:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...ool/scwbk-510/

ECS pad & rotor replacement kit:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...8k0698135akt1/

Lastly, you'll need a way to disengage the rear parking brake to properly change the rear pads. You can do this with the following Carista adapter and the dedicated Carista app:
    https://www.amazon.com/Carista-Bluet.../dp/B00YVHGTBM

Total comes out to just under $780 for everything.
    The pad & rotor replacement kit is definitely unnecessary unless you really wanted to be thorough. Most of that isnít even advised to be replaced unless it fails.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by scmtkings4 View Post
    Hows does the 5.0 compare to akebonos in your opinion?
    My wifes 328xi has the Hawks...when I get in her car I am looking for more pedal. Might be because I am so used to the brakes on the S4 now. But I will say this, her car will have them next!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast