Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Sliferman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Front and Rear Jacking Points

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everyone, currently doing a clutch replacement on my 2004 S4.

I currently have the car on 4 jack stands with the wheels off by jacking up each individual corner by the 4 side Jack points.

The jacks are at their lowest setting right now, and I want to raise them to there full height for maximum clearance to get the transmission out.

I've seen EngineeringExplained's Video on using 4 jack stands.

He goes on to adjust by using the rear differential cover, and I'm assuming the front subframe to raise the ends of the car in increments to the jacks full height.

Is there a place that I could do this on our cars?

I've seen people say that they just do each corner one at a time.

But I fear if I do so, that the jack stands could tip over.

2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan 6MT
    Last edited by Sliferman; 02-12-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Grammar

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

You could do it one corner at a time by a notch at a time on the jackstands. I'd jack up the front subframe if you could (behind engine, under trans) and probably the rear diff area (though be careful there). Make sure you're dead center and you should be able to do both fronts at once and both rears at once

Veteran Member Four Rings BCsniper's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 S4 6MT Avant, B6 3.0 Avant 6MT (for sale), C5 A6 2.8
    Items for Sale

that's the way I do it. I jack the front up all at once from the front subframe and set my stands. Then move to the back and jack from the rear diff and set the rear stands. these are not always "approved" methods to use, but I have been doing it for years and don't plan on changing.

word of warning, jacking from the front subframe can lead to damaging it somewhat. is a fairly thin piece of stamped sheet metal. when you jack up from the middle of subframe you can and will wind up bending the metal a bit. it's not really going to harm it much, but you might pop loose the pinched seams that hold it together. once they do, it has a tendency to make a loud popping noise when it flexes. If you rarely jack from there, you're probably fine. I do it all the time, so I've had the seams of my subframe welded. this stiffened up the subframe even more and ensures the seams won't split

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I used some pieces of 2x6 to spread the load point out on the front subframe and on the rear diff and frame - no issues

Senior Member Three Rings a4lownslow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Yup, jack up at the subframe and rear diff. Use 2x4 block to disperse the weight.

Iíve found when doing clutch replacements having the extra height really helps, and thatís why I made these cribbing blocks for the wheels. Gives me about 2 feet at the rocker which makes things so much easier. Very stable, and safe this way!

FYI if youíre jacking at the pinch welds there is no safe place for your jack stands.

IMG_1430.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

haha, dude just get bigger jack stands

also I've had the back side forward/back when lifting from the subframe. while the 2x4/6 would help spread the load I'd worry it would slip off as your jack slides in/out

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Front and Rear Jacking Points

Naaahh lol. I feel much more comfortable with the weight of the car supported by the wheels.. lots more surface area than any jack stand. I also drop a trans every couple months and donít have the luxury of a lift.

One time deal, yeah maybe find tallest jack stands possible. Either way getting a car up that high can be tricky, donít wanna drop it

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Yes, if using a trolley jack, it needs to roll as it lifts

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by a4lownslow View Post
    Naaahh lol. I feel much more comfortable with the weight of the car supported by the wheels.. lots more surface area than any jack stand. I also drop a trans every couple months and donít have the luxury of a lift.

One time deal, yeah maybe find tallest jack stands possible. Either way getting a car up that high can be tricky, donít wanna drop it

these are what I use for big jobs

they are plenty big enough for any job necessary (i.e go higher than any jack will) and they are sturdy enough that they won't lean over at all even if just lifting 1 corner at a time. Your 2x4 setup will work fine, but honestly taking the wheels off is usually step 1 of just about any job I do. it just allows so much more room to work around when doing most any job.

And set those bad boys at all 4 corners on the pinch weld and you are perfectly safe. nothing will bring it down short of running another car into it

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by BCsniper View Post
    these are what I use for big jobs

they are plenty big enough for any job necessary (i.e go higher than any jack will) and they are sturdy enough that they won't lean over at all even if just lifting 1 corner at a time. Your 2x4 setup will work fine, but honestly taking the wheels off is usually step 1 of just about any job I do. it just allows so much more room to work around when doing most any job.

And set those bad boys at all 4 corners on the pinch weld and you are perfectly safe. nothing will bring it down short of running another car into it
    Those look nice! Whatís your max height?

I do agree itís convenient being able to remove the wheels. When I need to unload the suspension or drop the subframe I have to use a smaller set of blocks to get my stands up to the pinch welds.

Thats one downside, and the fact that they take up a shit Ton of space.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

no idea, probably like 32 inches. plenty enough to get the trans out while it's on top of my shitty trans jack.

the first 2 of these stands came from my grandfather long ago. I really didn't believe the sticker on them that said Snap-On until I found 2 more identical ones at a pawn shop. but plenty companies make them, just look for 4 or 5 ton stands and they're usually that big. often times used for tall, heavy trucks, but work great for clutch jobs

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

I doubt 32Ē. Searching the web average 6ton MAX height seems to be around 24Ē, regardless thatís plenty high and about where Iím at. I Couldnít imagine going any higher. I already have to use 6Ē bock with my 3 ton floor jack to get that high. And thatís one sketchy procedure hahah

Might have to pick up a larger set for my next job