Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Need to ask again: Going market rate for B7 05.5 6MT S4 101k

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm a long time lurker here and have made the very tough decision to sell my S4.
    I've checked Autotrader and it looks like they estimate the value to be at $9k~.
    The car is 6sp manual, 100k, chains not done, carbon fiber interior, NAV, sport suspension, APR chip, all work done by NGP Racing over the past 5 years (great service records).
    I have a buyer right now at $9,800 but I am debating on whether to hold out and try and get a higher offer (thus far there have been none). I have babied this car and struggle with getting rid of it. I know you rarely recoup the $ suck in mods etc.

Would you let it go for $9.8k

Thanks in advance.

Charles

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

With no chain service? Take the money and run

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Audizine mobile app
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yup - that was my thought. I've meticulously maintained it, but timing has not been done. Still unsure though if I can squeeze about $1k -$1.5k out from another potential buyer. May wait for months...

Veteran Member Four Rings Mr.Wrong's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Like VinnysS4 said, take that offer and run with it. That's a very fair price. Holding out for that extra $1-1.5k you might end up selling for less than what you have a live buyer now or something might go wrong with the car and that's extra expense. Rip it off like a band aid and don't look back lol
    2005 AUDI //S4 B6 6MT Atlas Gray 1/5 - Project Atlas Build Thread
    Forget the B8, keep the V8!
    Buying a used B6/7 S4 is like playing Russian roulette...

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Well said - I think you're right. I just have such an emotional connection to the car (along with financial over the years), that parting with it for 9.8k just seems so low.
    I should also point out that I am paying$175/month (plus insurance) to park the car, and I barely drive it. So, if I decide to pass on this buyer I could end up waiting months (and more $ spent on parking/insurance). Bird in the hand...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Holographic77 View Post
    Well said - I think you're right. I just have such an emotional connection to the car (along with financial over the years), that parting with it for 9.8k just seems so low.
    I should also point out that I am paying$175/month (plus insurance) to park the car, and I barely drive it. So, if I decide to pass on this buyer I could end up waiting months (and more $ spent on parking/insurance). Bird in the hand...
    Trust me, I know exactly what you're going through in your head lol If I were to sell mine today, I know I'm not going to get what I paid for it or the maintenance I sunk into it, but then again I didn't buy it with a thought of selling it later on hehe I barely drove it in the first three years of ownership and just subjected it to daily use as of recent, that's one fun commute

Look on a bright side, you can always comeback with an upgrade... B7 RS4, which is much more stout and just plain gorgeous.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

A couple of thoughts.

1. You will never get back money you put into any car. Just enjoy them while you own them and take care of them as best you can. But don't have any regrets.

2. You could keep the car and do the timing chain service. It would add value to the car but will cost you some money. But remember, they are not making cars like these anymore and if you really love the car, you may not be satisfied with anything else.

3. $9800 for you car is really good, so if you decide to sell, you are getting top dollar.
    2008 Audi S4 Cabriolet (Alpaka Beige Metallic)
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (Electron Blue)

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post

3. $9800 for you car is really good, so if you decide to sell, you are getting top dollar.
    Thanks for spelling these 3 all out. I do have an immediate new for cash unfortunately (pay off debt/bills). I feel like I could maybe squeeze another 500-$1000 from a prospective buyer but who knows how long. This person really wants the car for $9800, and I kinda feel like a dick asking for another 500-$1000. You really think $9800 is top dollar? I've maintained this car meticulously since 59k miles. Maybe Im jaded.

Veteran Member Four Rings Lucca M's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Past Bmw M3 coupe Euro 1998
    Items for Sale

Take the money and run as the guys said !! I would never paid more than 6k for any s4 b6/b7 without timing job done. But thats just my personal 5 cents.
    2004 Black B6
    JHM LWFW, Stage 4 Clutch, Short Throw Trio, IM Spacers, JHM 91,
    034 Street Density Engine, Transmission, Snub Mount & Zero Tolerance Bracket, Rear Diff Inserts,
    PowerFlex Diff insert, 2.5" 200 cell downpipes, Neuspeed 2,75" catback, Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors,
    Rns-E, B7 steering wheel, BBS CH 18x8.5, ST Coilovers, Ecodes and many many more...

Insta: luccamentone

Established Member Two Rings 2008s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 RS4

I'm tossing the idea around of ditching my '08 S4 with 73k and no chain work done. I'd expect to get more than that, but not a whole lot more. That is a great sell for you at 9800, I love the S4 as my DD but it just doesn't make sense anymore since I have the RS in the garage.
    2008 S4 Brilliant Red
    Cupra R Front Lip | CSR Side Skirts | DTM Carbon Deck Lip | FI Cat-Back | K&N Panel Filter | ECS Short Shifter | ECS Stainless Brake Lines | JHM LW Rotors w/ Redstuff Pads
    2008 RS4 Daytona Grey
    Cupra R Front Lip | Milltek Exhaust and H-pipe piggies | APR 93 Tune | K&N Panel Filter | H&R Coilovers | 19x9.5" Forgestar F14's

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4
    Items for Sale

Yeah that seems like a great deal. I bought mine last year for $10,300 with the timing done and $11k in other maintenance receipts in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Three Rings Toronto5.5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

It's also an 05.5 - one of most problematic years that people tend to avoid. Definitely sell it.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto5.5 View Post
    It's also an 05.5 - one of most problematic years that people tend to avoid. Definitely sell it.
    Thought 04 was the worst.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto5.5 View Post
    What...early built 04s(2003 build date) were most problematic. Never heard anything out of the ordinary about other years.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have an 05.5 and I wouldn't say it's more problematic than the 04 or 06 other than the Tip tunes not being available for b6 and 05.5 b7 s4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Audizine mobile app
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Veteran Member Three Rings Toronto5.5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm not comparing it to the B6's, I'm saying of the B7's, It's a mid year split and a mish mash of B6/B7 parts. Flywheel grenades, B6 engines in a B7 body. It's also the oldest of the B7 so the most unwanted...just by logic.

Veteran Member Four Rings b6onboost's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you are trying to sell the car, and you have a legit buyer offering you anything near fair market value, you sell the car.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by b6onboost View Post
    If you are trying to sell the car, and you have a legit buyer offering you anything near fair market value, you sell the car.

Is that how dried up the buyers market has become on these cars? You'd say 9.8k is a sound offer near fair market value?

Veteran Member Four Rings b6onboost's Avatar
    AZ Member #

IMO its turned into a market where you either have chains done, or you don't, and that creates two separate enthusiast sub-markets at different price points.

You said AutoTrader listed value ~$9k. NADA is in the same ballpark. Average buyers are going by those values. Enthusiast buyers vary. They'll either low ball you since your chains aren't done or they'll pay you top market value if they have been done.

If you can basically get $10k (9.8) without the chains done...I'd call that fair, and I wouldn't pass it up if your carrying cost are $175 each month it doesn't sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Holographic77 View Post
    Is that how dried up the buyers market has become on these cars? You'd say 9.8k is a sound offer near fair market value?

Veteran Member Four Rings Mr. Corey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audis
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wrong View Post
    What...early built 04s(2003 build date) were most problematic. Never heard anything out of the ordinary about other years.
    The September 2003 builds in noggy on noggy are real turds
    B6 Nogaro with lots of mods
    BUILD THREAD

Photography Website www.coreymaywalt.com