Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Turbo go boom?

Senior Member Three Rings rhfosu's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Turbo go boom?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I was coming down an on ramp in 3rd gear, and at about 6k, I lost all power. There wasn't a boom or a loud bang, but there was a hard-to-describe noise. Pulled over on the side of the hwy, car was dead. It would crank, but not start. No MIL. I ran codes on torque, pending P0101 and P0299 (MAF and underboost). I disconnected thr MAF, and it started, ran rough for 1-2 seconds and died. Wouldn't start again. I had to have it towed, so I had it taken to my local NGP rather than home. Car is APR K04. I assume this could be anything, ranging from a boost hose tube that blew off to a bad turbo. K04s are pretty robust, so I'm hoping it's not that, but the fact that it wouldn't start at all scares me. Even if the turbo was shot, it would still idle.

Any ideas of what I should expect when I get the call tomorrow?

Established Member Three Rings funkypterodacty's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm betting on a simple blown hose clamp

Established Member Three Rings B7S3wannabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Shoulda towed it to me man. I'm in Burke and my shop is in Capitol Hill. Hopefully it's not too serious and NGP can take care of it for you for cheap. Let us know what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2006 Sline A4 Quattro 2.0T | JHM K04R | JHM Tuning | JHM HPFP Upgrade, S3 Injectors, RS4 Fuel Controller | R8 Ignition Coils | APR Carbonio CAI | AWE FMIC | Golf R Intake Camshaft | JHM Lightweight Crank Pulley | USP Test Pipe, Europaparts Catback w/ Quad Tips | RS4 Front & Rear Brakes w/ JHM lightweight Rotors | Stern Adjustable UCAs | STX Coilovers w/Hypercoil Rear Springs | 034 Solid Rear Stabilizer Bar w/ Adjust End Links | B6 Recaros | Miro 111s |

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'll definitely keep you in mind. NGP usually has a month backlog.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Quote Originally Posted by rhfosu View Post
    NGP usually has a month backlog.
    Wait... Thats a joke right!?
    2006 Sline A4 Quattro 2.0T | JHM K04R | JHM Tuning | JHM HPFP Upgrade, S3 Injectors, RS4 Fuel Controller | R8 Ignition Coils | APR Carbonio CAI | AWE FMIC | Golf R Intake Camshaft | JHM Lightweight Crank Pulley | USP Test Pipe, Europaparts Catback w/ Quad Tips | RS4 Front & Rear Brakes w/ JHM lightweight Rotors | Stern Adjustable UCAs | STX Coilovers w/Hypercoil Rear Springs | 034 Solid Rear Stabilizer Bar w/ Adjust End Links | B6 Recaros | Miro 111s |

Veteran Member Four Rings 4rings5stars's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I really doubt it's the turbo. Doesn't fit the symptoms. I agree with whomever said above that it's a boost hose blown off.
    05.5 Quartz 6spd Avant
    APR Stg1 / BFI snub mount / 034 SD mounts / 034 Tranny mount / ST Coilovers / 034 RSB
    APR Test Pipe / JHM Y-pipe / B6 S4 Exhaust / B6 S4 Pandas / JHM SS / 'Fly-Modded' AFS / 19" VMR V708

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 4rings5stars View Post
    I really doubt it's the turbo. Doesn't fit the symptoms. I agree with whomever said above that it's a boost hose blown off.
    Man, I hope so. I wasn't able to get under the car, and everything looked ok up top. Simple and cheap is the best case scenario.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by B7S3wannabi View Post
    Wait... Thats a joke right!?
    Nope.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Update: not an intercooler hose. 6 hours of diagnoses has revealed no cause. Shop is at a loss.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Oooh. My turn!

Veteran Member Four Rings 4rings5stars's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Unless you have a wiring/ECU issue, I don't see how it could be anything else. Best of luck figuring it out.
    05.5 Quartz 6spd Avant
    APR Stg1 / BFI snub mount / 034 SD mounts / 034 Tranny mount / ST Coilovers / 034 RSB
    APR Test Pipe / JHM Y-pipe / B6 S4 Exhaust / B6 S4 Pandas / JHM SS / 'Fly-Modded' AFS / 19" VMR V708

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 4rings5stars View Post
    Unless you have a wiring/ECU issue, I don't see how it could be anything else. Best of luck figuring it out.
    Thanks. I'm at a loss myself. I've been messing with bpy 2.0s for 7 years. Never had anything like this happen before.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Update: Turbo failed and dumped oil into the cold side. The engine sucked so much oil through the intake that the engine is flooded with oil. Now the concern is internal damage.

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Update: Turbo failed and dumped oil into the cold side. The engine sucked so much oil through the intake that the engine is flooded with oil. Now the concern is internal damage.
    How did that much oil get through the turbo? To flood the engine? thats a pretty massive amount of oil that needed to make its way through the entire intake system.

Not sure how viable a compression test would be when there is massive amounts of oil in the cylinders.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Turbo seal must have completely blown out. That's pretty incredible. What's more incredible is it took 6+ hours to figure that out (or so they say).
    Suction the cylinders, and perform a compression test.
    Hopefully all you end up needing is a turbo and hopefully you can install that yourself.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsuplex View Post
    How did that much oil get through the turbo? To flood the engine? thats a pretty massive amount of oil that needed to make its way through the entire intake system.

Not sure how viable a compression test would be when there is massive amounts of oil in the cylinders.
    I just know what they told me. No info on the amount. They are draining it out now and will perform a compression test.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Turbo seal must have completely blown out. That's pretty incredible. What's more incredible is it took 6+ hours to figure that out (or so they say).
    Suction the cylinders, and perform a compression test.
    Hopefully all you end up needing is a turbo and hopefully you can install that yourself.

Yup. Seal completely blew out. APR K04 with ~20k miles on it. $2700 part. Previous owner put it on, and the warranty is non-transferable, so I'm sure APR will tell me to GFM.

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Yup. Seal completely blew out. APR K04 with ~20k miles on it. $2700 part. Previous owner put it on, and the warranty is non-transferable, so I'm sure APR will tell me to GFM.
    Can you get previous owner to file the claim?
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Get a JHM K04R and let me know if you need help installing it.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsuplex View Post
    Can you get previous owner to file the claim?
    Well, I took the car to an APR dealer. APR knows I am the owner now. Warranty is non transferable.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Get a JHM K04R and let me know if you need help installing it.

I'm considering going the JHM route. NGP is telling me the JHM K04 is not compatible with APR software, though. JHM says it will work fine. I am inclined to believe JHM, but I don't know enough to say for sure that that NGP (as an APR dealer) is BSing me.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I've also been recommended to have Work Turbochargers in AL rebuild my APR unit.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

You can buy any late model k04 from a TTS/S3/Golf R and swap the CHRA over new or used. Or even just find someone who will rebuild it if it is just a bad seal and no damage was done to the wheels/shaft. No reason at all to buy a complete new turbo from APR where you are paying for the modifications. I had a brand new genuine CHRA but recently sold it to a local shop with a similar problem.

Have a used (sub 10k) CHRA if interested. Also 1 new 1 used Loba K04s I was about to list for sale, both were for B8s so I think one stud on the exhaust is hair different but I forget, easily modified to work if not. I can deliver any of those if interested.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
    You can buy any late model k04 from a TTS/S3/Golf R and swap the CHRA over new or used. Or even just find someone who will rebuild it if it is just a bad seal and no damage was done to the wheels/shaft. No reason at all to buy a complete new turbo from APR where you are paying for the modifications. I had a brand new genuine CHRA but recently sold it to a local shop with a similar problem.

Have a used (sub 10k) CHRA if interested. Also 1 new 1 used Loba K04s I was about to list for sale, both were for B8s so I think one stud on the exhaust is hair different but I forget, easily modified to work if not. I can deliver any of those if interested.
    Well, now the shop is telling me the wheel is trashed. The bearings went out and the wheel trashed the seal. I'm considering having someone rebuild it. I'm told they can rebuild with more robust bearings. What would you want for the CHRA and/or the lobas?

AZ Member #

If the wheel is trashed and nothing hit it then that would mean that when the bearing went it contacted the housing so you need to inspect and confirm that before deciding on swapping over a CHRA or rebuilding it vs a full swap out. Sometimes it is nothing other times the housing is toast.

500 for used CHRA

900/plus your turbo for used LOBA ~10k on this also

1500 for brand new in box one.

Both lobas were modified to fit a stock B8 downpipe blanking on if identical to b7 or not, and use a stock b7/b8 compressor housing bored out to fit the k04 wheel just like the APR one does so direct bolt on other than possibly needing to file downpipe hole for a b7?
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

Pm'ed you. I have used http://www.timsturbos.com/ on my APR KO4 unit went south . No way was I gonna by a new unit from APR. They SUCK ASS big time with no support. I will never purchase anything APR again
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by vce1232000 View Post
    Pm'ed you. I have used http://www.timsturbos.com/ on my APR KO4 unit went south . No way was I gonna by a new unit from APR. They SUCK ASS big time with no support. I will never purchase anything APR again
    Actually, I was talking to APR. Specifically, Joel McKay, the VP of engineering. He told me to buy a new oem trans K04 from ECS and ship it to them, along with my blown unit. For $50, they would do a swappy swappy and ship back a (basically) brand new unit. I thought that was a pretty OK offer...bordering on generous. With shipping, etc, you're looking at ~$1400 vice $2700. If Tim can't hook me up, that's me next move.

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

Actually, I was talking to APR. Specifically, Joel McKay, the VP of engineering. He told me to buy a new oem trans K04 from ECS and ship it to them, along with my blown unit. For $50, they would do a swappy swappy and ship back a (basically) brand new unit. I thought that was a pretty OK offer...bordering on generous. With shipping, etc, you're looking at ~$1400 vice $2700. If Tim can't hook me up, that's me next move.
    APR told me to go # sand ..........
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

AZ Member #

Not a bad deal/offer at all. If you go that route though I wouldn't waste time or money sending it out just have NGP swap the CHRA over.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    16 MK7 GTI APR STG2 - 03 Grand Cherokee - 06 R6 Raven - 13 HD IRON

APR Software IS compatible with our K04-R. From a business standpoint APR has to say it isn't, because they developed their software with their K04. We have tested it and it is.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    APR Software IS compatible with our K04-R. From a business standpoint APR has to say it isn't, because they developed their software with their K04. We have tested it and it is.
    Yeah, I get that. Dru told me the same thing. APR cited wastegate tolerance as possibly incompatible and made no guarantees, but I assumed it would work fine.