Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings ufkenedy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is my audi a4 b6 drive-by-wire?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quick one guys. Is my audi a4 b6 2001 quattro 3.0 petrol a drive-by-wire car?

What does a drive-by-wire car mean?

Also what is dynamic shift program (DSP) and how do i know if my transmission is DSP active?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

DBC is Drive By Cable, meaning a physical metal cable that connects the throttle / gas pedal to the throttle body, that can be adjusted.
    DBW is Drive By Wire, meaning electrical. Such as electricity flowing through wires, which is supposed to travel faster, and maybe they control the behavior somehow.
    Sorry, only a partial answer.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spike00513 View Post
    DBC is Drive By Cable, meaning a physical metal cable that connects the throttle / gas pedal to the throttle body, that can be adjusted.
    DBW is Drive By Wire, meaning electrical. Such as electricity flowing through wires, which is supposed to travel faster, and maybe they control the behavior somehow.
    Sorry, only a partial answer.
    I appreciate. Based on this that means its a DBW

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

no you cant get "hastings'd" in your audi

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by b1337 View Post
    no you cant get "hastings'd" in your audi
    What's hastings'd

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

Lol.
    His:
    B6 420-TS Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B6/7 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Hers:
    2002 Toyota Runx, 1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.

Established Member Two Rings yanni6556's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It is not drive by wire.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yanni6556 View Post
    It is not drive by wire.
    Every B6 is drive-by-wire.
    His:
    B6 420-TS Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B6/7 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Hers:

AZ Member #

So you saying its not a DBW

Established Member Two Rings modfan61's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 Dakota 360Swap Project

It is drive-by-wire, AKA fly-by-wire; same thing. Easy way to tell is if you look at the TB, you'll see a black cover and a small motor with an electrical plug, and well simple enough, there won't be a cable coming out of the firewall to the TB..

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ufkenedy View Post
    So you saying its not a DBW
    Every B6 A4 is DBW. Your car is DBW.
    His:

Hers:

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
    Every B6 A4 is DBW. Your car is DBW.
    Thanks

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by modfan61 View Post
    It is drive-by-wire, AKA fly-by-wire; same thing. Easy way to tell is if you look at the TB, you'll see a black cover and a small motor with an electrical plug, and well simple enough, there won't be a cable coming out of the firewall to the TB..
    I'm grateful

Senior Member Three Rings egovreau's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

If I were to hazard a guess, I would surmise that VW/Audi went from DBC to DBW around 1999, + or - a year or two. That's largely based on the differences in the throttle for the Mk III and Mk IV Jetta.

The debate rages on as to which is better. DBW, in theory, has the ability to adapt to a driver's style. It also has, I think, a greater possibility of failure. Like if the wires from the pedal to the ECU or from the ECU to the throttle are damaged. The sensors and servo in the throttle body itself are also prone to failure. You also lose the ability to rev the engine from under the hood as there's no mechanical linkage to access.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by egovreau View Post
    If I were to hazard a guess, I would surmise that VW/Audi went from DBC to DBW around 1999, + or - a year or two. That's largely based on the differences in the throttle for the Mk III and Mk IV Jetta.

The debate rages on as to which is better. DBW, in theory, has the ability to adapt to a driver's style. It also has, I think, a greater possibility of failure. Like if the wires from the pedal to the ECU or from the ECU to the throttle are damaged. The sensors and servo in the throttle body itself are also prone to failure. You also lose the ability to rev the engine from under the hood as there's no mechanical linkage to access.

Wow that's something. Maybe this is linked to the new fault code thrown earlier today p1631

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

Wow that's something. Maybe this is linked to the new fault code thrown earlier today p1631

I looked that up and it appears that the fault is coming from the pedal itself.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18039/P1631

AZ Member #

I checked the link and saw it too but as a noob i don't even know what to check or do

AZ Member #

I'm still trying to locate the 2 sensors in the accelerator pedal. And funny thing is i don't even know what it looks like :( do you have pictures ?

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Drive By (electrical) Wire might be a way to help remember it. Or "Drive By (electrical) Wiring" - whatever floats your boat.

Also, doesn't DBW offer some tunability though? Like what about various sport buttons, modes, and settings in other cars like B7 RS4, BMW M-cars, Mercedes AMG-cars, and so on?
    After a certain year, those are all also probably DBW.
    I don't know if the pedal is something that can be tuned to perform a certain way; it probably already is from the factory, and I hear it adapts to your driving style.

I think once when I had some sort of pedal sensor unplugged, even the tiniest bit of gas gave the car WAY too much acceleration (even when cold), and it was much harder to control than normal.

Isn't there some expensive pedal mod that exists too, called SprintBooster?

And that's just the stock pedals.
    When I see a track car with aftermarket pedals, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by modfan61 View Post
    Well since we're talking about aircraft, maybe aircraft use both electronics to control things quickly and possibly with aids such as computers, and also hydraulics strong enough to move things.
    But I heard some aircraft also have back up systems for safety redundancy, in case the normally-used systems fail.
    Such as metal cables.

idk much about aircraft though.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spike00513 View Post
    Drive By (electrical) Wire might be a way to help remember it. Or "Drive By (electrical) Wiring" - whatever floats your boat.

Also, doesn't DBW offer some tunability though? Like what about various sport buttons, modes, and settings in other cars like B7 RS4, BMW M-cars, Mercedes AMG-cars, and so on?
    After a certain year, those are all also probably DBW.
    I don't know if the pedal is something that can be tuned to perform a certain way; it probably already is from the factory, and I hear it adapts to your driving style.

I think once when I had some sort of pedal sensor unplugged, even the tiniest bit of gas gave the car WAY too much acceleration (even when cold), and it was much harder to control than normal.

Isn't there some expensive pedal mod that exists too, called SprintBooster?

And that's just the stock pedals.
    When I see a track car with aftermarket pedals, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Well since we're talking about aircraft, maybe aircraft use both electronics to control things quickly and possibly with aids such as computers, and also hydraulics strong enough to move things.
    But I heard some aircraft also have back up systems for safety redundancy, in case the normally-used systems fail.
    Such as metal cables.

idk much about aircraft though.
    Huge info. You took your time to explain. Thanks.

I'll look around to check the sensors at the pedal.

But it is noteworthy to mention a new funny behaviour of the car;
    At drive mode the car slightly revs up and down on its own . Not all the time though but sometimes. But it does it only when gear is at D drive; idle. Its new and i don't know ifits linked with the p1631 fault code.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

I'm still trying to locate the 2 sensors in the accelerator pedal. And funny thing is i don't even know what it looks like :( do you have pictures ?

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture, but if you search any of the parts houses, they'll have the stock photo. The sensors are incorporated as part of the overall assembly and cannot be purchased separately. It's usually three bolts holding it on.

The easiest thing to do with any kind of throttle issue is to do a Throttle body alignment (or adaptation). If you have some version of VAG-COM, you can perform one. It can still be done without. But you will need to disconnect the battery. 15-30 minutes is the guidance. One battery is reconnected, turn the key on but don't start the car. You'll hear a series of clicks. When it's done, turn off the key. You can start the car.

Doing a TBA with VAG-COM will result in either OK, or an error. You don't get that with the other method.

You'll want to clear codes, too. If the code comes right back, chances are that component is bad and will need replacing.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

An example of the DBW pedal with sensor assembly.

https://m.autozone.com/engine-manage..._0_0?location=

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Items for Sale

A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture, but if you search any of the parts houses, they'll have the stock photo. The sensors are incorporated as part of the overall assembly and cannot be purchased separately. It's usually three bolts holding it on.

The easiest thing to do with any kind of throttle issue is to do a Throttle body alignment (or adaptation). If you have some version of VAG-COM, you can perform one. It can still be done without. But you will need to disconnect the battery. 15-30 minutes is the guidance. One battery is reconnected, turn the key on but don't start the car. You'll hear a series of clicks. When it's done, turn off the key. You can start the car.

Doing a TBA with VAG-COM will result in either OK, or an error. You don't get that with the other method.

You'll want to clear codes, too. If the code comes right back, chances are that component is bad and will need replacing.

This is awesome bro

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Old guy thanks i wanto try that tomorrow but to be honest i dnt understand what you mean by -RUN A JUMPER ACROSS BOTH DISCONNECTED BATTERY LEADS-
    Even after you explained further to the guy.
    Do you just mean i should connect positive and negative terminals of the battery together with a single wire? It will make a spark! Or i don't understand. And yes its stupid but sorry make me understand please.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

Old guy thanks i wanto try that tomorrow but to be honest i dnt understand what you mean by -RUN A JUMPER ACROSS BOTH DISCONNECTED BATTERY LEADS-
    Even after you explained further to the guy.
    Do you just mean i should connect positive and negative terminals of the battery together with a single wire? It will make a spark! Or i don't understand. And yes its stupid but sorry make me understand please.

Disconnect both leads from the battery. Connect a wire from the positive lead to the negative lead. It will not cause any sparks and is perfectly safe. Obviously, if you short across the terminals on the battery it will spark.

Connecting the leads will discharge any residual capacitance in the system and will, in effect, reset the modules.

Reconnect both battery leads.

AZ Member #

Now i understand. Thanks.i will give feedback after trying.

Established Member Two Rings yanni6556's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
    Every B6 is drive-by-wire.
    Lol 😉

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yanni6556 View Post
    Lol 😉
    If you know any different, then please feel free to share it here.

Drive-by-wire actually started on the B4 Audi 80, with the 1.9 TDI. B5 A4 2.8 2000 - 2001 were DBW, so were B5 S4s. I am yet to come across any B6 with a mechanical connection, (Bowden cable) between the throttle pedal and throttle body.
    His:

Hers:

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

i think some people associate DBW as in the newer cars that can be remotely taken over electronically aka "Michael Hastings" which is a FACT, im sure any DBW car can be taken over via some sort of implanted device, newer vehicles with 4G, hotspot, Onstar blah blah big brother tech can be remotely taken via no implanted device

Established Member Three Rings 5ktq's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I don't think any B6 had cable throttle.

The whole point of EPC is so that the ECU has complete control of motor, and makes torque limiting for traction control very easy.