Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R

Extra Security Layer For B6 A4

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Gíday ladies and gents,

As some may know, Iím building my B6 A4 Avant Quattro - my way.

As part of my build, Iím installing a C5 RS6 motor. In the course of getting it running, Iím having the C5 RS6 IMMO turned off, and installing a B7 RS4 instrument cluster. So, anti-theft is reduced. I have looked into options to introduce new layers of security for my car.

As well as being a Mechanical Engineer, Iím also a certified Electronics and Telecom Engineer.

I have purchased a set of D3 A8 door handles, from a model with Advanced Key. These models have a smart key with Proximity Sensor. You approach the car with the key on your person, the Certification ECU senses the key, you touch the sensor on the driverís door handle, an unlock signal is sent to the CCM, and to the engine ECU. The doors are unlocked, and the engine can then be started via push button / fingerprint. Voila!

Now of course, Iím not looking to install the D3ís Smart Entry and Start into my B6. It can be done, but itís a very long process, that involves install other systems, that the Smart Entry and Start system depends on. Not viable.

I will be using the D3 handles, but with my own home-built Smart Entry system. And I will be using my Debit / Credit cards and a card reader to enable starting the engine. This will be via my 4-digit PIN or Contactless, using 3 different cards, just in case one fails.

I will of course have a manual override, using a series of buttons, pressed in a given sequence, in a pre-set time in the unlikely event all 3 debit cards fail.

Iíll keep you guys posted, but donít expect too much detail, for obvious reasons.
    2003 Audi B6 A4 Quattro Sport Avant, 3.0 | 6-Speed Manual Swap | BOSE | Rear PDC | Factory Votex Kit | OEM B6 S4 Black Optic Grille | Rear Tints | Black Leather | Cruise | H&R Spacers 12/15mm Front / Rear | B7 S4 OEM Alloys

B6 420-TS Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B6/7 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Established Member Two Rings Ol Dirty Noodle's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Raccoons and Feces

Iím an electrician dealing specifically with control circuits, I worked on something like this for my Volvo T4 when I manual swapped it and had to swap the entire ecu set with one from a European manual model avoid the CEL. This includes lock/alarm module however the car I got my set from didnít have an alarm or power locks. Never thought to use the cards... ingenious, mine involved a BT connected OBD2 dongle and my iPhone

Veteran Member Four Rings itsmatt33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

visualizing that gave me a headache. You are a brave man! cheers to breaking new ground.
    GTX2867r Audi A4 B6 TQM RECARO|HRE|ER|IE|APR|AWE|034 Build page here
    Daily Driven Audi Q3 HRE|REMUS|KW Build page here
    IG: @matthewee

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    69 Nova

They make systems like this already. I was going to put one in my Nova eventually. It doesn't use fancy touch sensors on the door handles or use your debit cards or anything, though.

But the one I was going to use has a couple sensors you install in the car, generally on/under the dash and another on the back parcel shelf/speaker shelf. It has a transmitter the size of a credit card you carry around, and when you get within range, the car unlocks.

Also has a pushbutton start.

Still curious to see your system. I always like when people make their own stuff instead of just buying something pre-made.
    04 A4 3.0 Quattro 6 Speed
    69 Nova with a bunch of stuffs

Veteran Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 GSXR 600

Not a bad idea.But wouldnt be alot easier just to install a reed switch in location you only know,wave past it and thats that.Low tech and quick???
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicle.As well as SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R

Your idea will work just as good, EuroxS4.

But ultimately, it will be less secure. Every security measure, including OEM systems can be cracked, given time. Time however is limited if the car is to be boosted in itís location. Unless the car is flat-bedded, and worked on elsewhere.
    2003 Audi B6 A4 Quattro Sport Avant, 3.0 | 6-Speed Manual Swap | BOSE | Rear PDC | Factory Votex Kit | OEM B6 S4 Black Optic Grille | Rear Tints | Black Leather | Cruise | H&R Spacers 12/15mm Front / Rear | B7 S4 OEM Alloys

B6 420-TS Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B6/7 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.